[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq answers

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (08/26/87)

I have on file a couple of questions from netters relating to Compaqs. Since
I don't have the original articles on file, I can't follow up on them, so
here's hoping the original requesters see this:

Randolph Fritz <SQA> at Sun writes:

>I'm running pc-dos 3.3 on a Compaq 8088 portable and I'm using driver.sys
>to access an external 3 1/2" 720K floppy.  This works fine until the first "not
>ready" error on any drive.  I must then use "int 13" to reset the floppy
>controller and manually read a few sectors from the drive.
>
>Two questions:
>
>  1. Why?
>  2. Anyone got a fix?

I asked this one of my buddy at Compaq (he's an engineer in the
compatibility testing group). He had two comments to make:
1) How recent is his ROM-BIOS? He should get an upgrade to revision J (the
current version).
2) Compaq will have a DOS 3.3 Real Soon Now; it, too, will have the relevant
drivers and will support the exact configuration he's using.

Clare Chu at the Cornell Theory Center writes:

> Hi, I'm thinking about getting a Compaq 286 Deskpro. I've been
> reading the ads about its two-way compatibility, but I'm not
> really sure what they mean. They say that the Compaqs will be
> compatible with the old MS/DOS and also the OS/2 operating systems,
> yet I've read that IBM and Microsoft haven't even finalized or
> delivered parts of OS/2. So how can Compaq know how to be
> compatible with it?

My buddy's only comment on this was:
"It had better be compatible...there's a Businessland near Microsoft that
sold 400 Deskpro 386s to Microsoft to do OS/2 development on, and Microsoft
keeps an apartment up there for the Compaq engineer-in-residence of the
month."

He then went on to add that he personally had been playing with a system
that responded "DOS version 5" to a VER command since this past January, and
all of the beta-test versions (of which there have apparently been a few) of
OS/2 had run on Deskpro 286s and 386s as well as they had on PC/ATs.
Apparently, MS-OS/2, at least in the non-IBM label, isn't machine-specific.

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC...>splut!< | uucp: hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!nuchat!splut!jay
"Don't ask ME about Unix...  | (or sun!housun!nuchat)       CI$: 71036,1603