[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Q: Turbo AT clone buzzing.

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) (08/22/87)

----------- "Garbage in, g~rb{g^? out.~`rr~" ----------

Today I was shopping around for AT's for people and found one of
the Turbo variety (6/11.5 MHz) and was suprised to here a hellish
high-pitched buzz coming out of the thing when running at 11.5 MHz.
No one else could (or would admit to) hearing it. Even the person
with me couldn't hear it. The sales people obviously wouldn't.

I would like to know if this is common among the Turbo AT's and what
the cause is. Am I a bat?

Seriously though, I couldn't work with one, is this common?

-Jeff Scrutton, by the graces of

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

geoffs@gssc.UUCP (Geoff Shapiro) (08/25/87)

In article <128@dalcsug.UUCP> dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:

>Today I was shopping around for AT's for people and found one of
>the Turbo variety (6/11.5 MHz) and was suprised to here a hellish
>high-pitched buzz coming out of the thing when running at 11.5 MHz.
>No one else could (or would admit to) hearing it. Even the person
>with me couldn't hear it. The sales people obviously wouldn't.
>
>I would like to know if this is common among the Turbo AT's and what
>the cause is. Am I a bat?

I purchased a 6/10 MHz AT about 6 months ago. The power supply that came with
the machine also had a high pitched sound at 10MHz and eventually one hot
evening burnt out completely. The second power supply that was installed
to replace the second had the same problem; the problem seemed to be worse
when video memory (EGA) was being written to.

I complained to the dealer about the second power supply and insisted he
procure a 220-240W bona fide American power supply to replace the one that
I had installed at the time. Being a good dealer (one who stands by his
warranty, most do not, at least not willingly), he took my recommendations
and I have not had a problem since (about 3 months now).

I must conclude that the foreign power supplies that many of these AT clones
come installed with do perform up to their full rated capacities of
200W. This becomes even more critical at the higher clock rate when the
electronic circuits draw more current. If you buy a clone insist on a good
power supply!

Geoff Shapiro
GSS
(503) 641-2200

dick@plx.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (08/26/87)

Expires:

In article <503@gssc.UUCP> geoffs@gssc.UUCP (Geoff Shapiro) writes:
>I purchased a 6/10 MHz AT about 6 months ago. The power supply that came with
>the machine also had a high pitched sound at 10MHz [...]

Ohmigawd!  You must have ears like trashcan lids and the broadcast stations
must drive you absolutely bananas!!!  *8-)  *8-)

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                            Long Live Zero Print Control
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick