[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Software vs Hardware R&D

gtchen@faline.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <> dbercel@sun.UUCP (Danielle Bercel, MIS Systems Programming) writes:
>Indeed, I recall reading an IBM report that said for every penny ($0.01)
>they spend on hardware R & D they had to spend 100M ($100,000,000.00) in
>software R & D.
>
>danielle

If we assume that IBM has a net asset on the order of 100 billion, then
they could have spent, at most, about 10 dollars on hardware research
and development.  That's about the price of a 10-pack of disks when
bought in large quantities.  But wait, they can't bye the disks in
large quantities can they?  Perhaps diskettes are considered part
of software.

|What's a .signature? Life is an equation whose only solutions are irrational |
|gtchen@thumper.bellcore.com ! gtchen@romeo.caltech.edu ! gtchen@where.am.i?. |