[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 'Projection' monitors

gkb@necntc.NEC.COM (Greg Busby) (08/26/87)

I am looking for information about monitors which can be used with
PClones (unTM) which work with overhead projectors.  I know that they
exist, since I have seen news items about them, but I'm tired of going
through all these back issues of magazines.  Could anyone who knows of
manufacturers of such systems email me the name and number and any
experience you have?  I will, of course, summarize to the net when the
veritable flood of responses slows to a trickle.  Thanks.

GKB

rv@cpsc53.UUCP (Richard Verzyl) (08/28/87)

> I am looking for information about monitors which can be used with
> PClones (unTM) which work with overhead projectors.  I know that they
> exist, since I have seen news items about them, but I'm tired of going
> through all these back issues of magazines.  Could anyone who knows of
> manufacturers of such systems email me the name and number and any
> experience you have?  I will, of course, summarize to the net when the
> veritable flood of responses slows to a trickle.  Thanks.
>
> GKB

We use the SONY VPH-1030Q1 Multiscan Projector which produces a very good
100inch screen display in color.  Most video or business graphics dealers
stock these.  They require appropriate interface cables for different PC/
monitor combinations.  About $12K

You might also look at the LimeLight which is a cheaper, more portable
unit which probably is monochrome only. About $5K ?

Kodak also makes a "Slide Show" projector adapter which sits atop your
standard desktop overhead projector and works with most PC's (not 6300).
It is <$2K.

Richard Verzyl- AT&T Atlanta CPSC ----------------------------------------------
 ..{ihnp4,akgua}!cpsc53!rv        |"We have met the enemy.....and he is US !!" |
   net: rv@cpsc53.ATT.COM         |      -Pogo  (a.k.a. Walt Kelly) circa 1968 |
attmail!rverzyl voice(404)982-5153----------------------------------------------
   Compuserve<71545.451>

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (08/29/87)

In article <100310@cpsc53.UUCP>, rv@cpsc53.UUCP (Richard Verzyl) writes:
> > I am looking for information about monitors which can be used with
> > PClones (unTM) which work with overhead projectors. ....
>
> Kodak also makes a "Slide Show" projector adapter which sits atop your
> standard desktop overhead projector and works with most PC's (not 6300).
> It is <$2K.

  The Kodak unit is very cost-effective compared to anything else I priced.
  But it does have a flaw which limits its effectiveness: if the overhead
  projector generates a lot of heat (and many, if not most, do), the Slide
  Show image will, after about 30 minutes, begin to waver and fade.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

marks@milano.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <456@hscfvax.UUCP>, pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) writes:

>   The Kodak unit is very cost-effective compared to anything else I priced.

The Datashow is very AVAILABLE compared to its direct imitators. The latter
are 30 % cheaper, but I have only seen ads (Minnesota Educational Computer
Consortium sells one, for example).

>   But it does have a flaw which limits its effectiveness: if the overhead
>   projector generates a lot of heat (and many, if not most, do), the Slide
>   Show image will, after about 30 minutes, begin to waver and fade.

This is true, but I have come across two solutions:

  + re-adjusting the contrast from time to time will keep mine usable
    for a few hours (but is an annoyance)

  + Kodak sells an accessory fan for ~$100 (the screw holes are in the
    Datashow already ;-) ) which allows my unit to run continuously
    without needing any re-adjustment (it does add some fan noise, though)

  |   Peter Marks, MCC, 9390 Research Blvd., Austin TX 78759   |
  |             (512)338-3349       marks@mcc.com              |
  | {gatech,harvard,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!marks |