[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Moving from CGA to MONO

gtchen@faline.UUCP (08/31/87)

I have several public domain programs (no source though) that
send its output through the CGA screen (memory 0xb8000000).
Unfortunately, I only have a Mono screen.  Since I know the
output doesn't require the color screen and will be just
as readable in monochrome, does anyone know of any programs
that will change all references from 0xb8000000 to 0xb000000 ?
I've used debug to change a few programs but it's a painful
procedure without the source code.

Thanks

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (gopal) (09/01/87)

In article <1325@faline.bellcore.com>, gtchen@faline.bellcore.com (George T. Chen) writes:
> I have several public domain programs (no source though) that send its
> output through the CGA screen (memory 0xb8000000).  Unfortunately, I only
> have a Mono screen.  Since I know the output doesn't require the color
> screen and will be just as readable in monochrome, does anyone know of
> any programs that will change all references from 0xb8000000 to 0xb000000 ?
> I've used debug to change a few programs but it's a painful procedure
> without the source code.

If programs write directly to screen memory, there is no way to intercept it/
redirect it - you have to patch the program (debug or whatever).  (Actually,
there is a way - modify the hardware so that addresses B8000h - to BFFFFh
actually select your memory at B0000h to B7fffh).

With programs that uses interrupt 10h functions solely, a redirect may be
possible.  In these cases, I don't see a good solution except writing
a custom interrupt 10h driver to do this.

Venu P. Gopal
ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <2108@ihuxy.ATT.COM> vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (gopal) writes:
|In article <1325@faline.bellcore.com>, gtchen@faline.bellcore.com (George T. Chen) writes:
|> I have several public domain programs (no source though) that send its
|> output through the CGA screen (memory 0xb8000000).  Unfortunately, I only

If you have a monographics (Hercules compatible) board, there is a PD
software package which allows you to run CGA software. It's good enough
to run BASICA, so it should handle almost anything. Yes it handles
direct screen writes.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

lehman@calma.UUCP (Kurt Lehman) (09/03/87)

In article <7199@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>If you have a monographics (Hercules compatible) board, there is a PD
>software package which allows you to run CGA software. It's good enough
>to run BASICA, so it should handle almost anything. Yes it handles
>direct screen writes.
>--
>	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

I would be very interested in getting hold of that PD software.  If anyone
can send it or provide info, I would be very greatful.

Kurt

gtchen@faline.bellcore.com (George T. Chen) (09/03/87)

.
.If you have a monographics (Hercules compatible) board, there is a PD
.software package which allows you to run CGA software. It's good enough
.to run BASICA, so it should handle almost anything. Yes it handles
.direct screen writes.

I don't think my e-mail worked so I'll post this here--
Where can I get this package?  Which board?  Thanks.

|What's a .signature? Life is an equation whose only solutions are irrational |
|gtchen@thumper.bellcore.com ! gtchen@romeo.caltech.edu ! gtchen@where.am.i?. |