[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM Tech Ref Manuals

dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) (09/10/87)

In article <751@ucdavis.UUCP>, ccs016@ucdavis.UUCP (Patrick Tully) writes:
>   I ordered a Technical Ref manual (xt) from our campus bookstore. Two months
> later I'm told that IBM does not have them,print them, or stock them.  Can
> someone please help me. I need the manual and I find it hard to believe that
> IBM has no tech manuals left.

From the IBM Technical Directory, September *1986*:
Part No. 6280089 Form # S229-9607-00 "XT and Portable Technical
Reference" $49.95 plus $5.00 postage.

In the latest PC Magazine article on Disk Diagnostics they indicated
that IBM has combined the XT/XT286/AT/PS2 Technical Reference manuals.
However, neither they nor the people they spoke to at IBM knew anything
about this manual.

I think the phone number is 1-800-IBM-PCSW.

Dan Davison/T-10 MS K710/Los Alamos National Laboratory/Theoretical
Biology/ dd@lanl.gov (arpa) / ...cmcl2!lanl!dd / ..ain't got no quote..

dan@srs.UUCP (Dan Kegel) (09/10/87)

> > Where the heck do you get IBM Tech Ref manuals?
> From the IBM Technical Directory, September *1986*:
> Part No. 6280089 Form # S229-9607-00 "XT and Portable Technical Reference",
> $49.95 plus $5.00 postage. I think the phone number is 1-800-IBM-PCSW.
No, for manuals the number is 1-800-IBM-PCTB.

> In the latest PC Magazine article on Disk Diagnostics they indicated
> that IBM has combined the XT/XT286/AT/PS2 Technical Reference manuals.
Perhaps; I know they've combined the PC/PS2 BIOS information, and put it in
a separate book called the "Personal System/2 and Personal Computer BIOS
Interface Technical Reference".
It's about $75, but it includes more discussion and explanation than the
BIOS sections of older manuals did.
- Dan Kegel