[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MS Flight Simulator won't boot up on my AT

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (09/07/87)

I just got MS Flight Simulator (for my kids -) ) to run on my AT.  For normal
use, I have the usual gaggle of drivers and TSR's.  I am running PC DOS 3.1
without any modifications.

I found that I could get FS to run if I booted up a vanilla DOS with only
ANSI.SYS loaded?  However, I would like to preserve my normal environment
as much as possible.

Any suggestions or experience on drivers and TSR's that definitely work/don't
work with FS?  Please post to the net rather than sending E-mail.  My mailer
is very flaky here.

Thanks in advance

--
Philip Burton       burton@parcvax.COM   ...!hplabs!parcvax!burton
Xerox Corp.         preferred path: burton.osbunorth@xerox.COM

cy@ashtate (Cy Shuster) (09/08/87)

Normally you completely reboot with FS, so it's not the TSRs. Check
the documentation: there are special techniques for EGA and Herc boards.

--Cy--

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (09/09/87)

In article <329@ashton.UUCP> cy@ashtate.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>Normally you completely reboot with FS, so it's not the TSRs. Check
>the documentation: there are special techniques for EGA and Herc boards.

I DID check the manual.  For my version, 2.13, you can boot the system up
normally, and then insert the FS disk in drive A.  For an EGA, you use the
e parameter after the program name, .i.e.

	fs e

When I reconfigured by autoexec.bat and config.sys to be as vanilla as possible,with only ansi.sys loaded, fs ran fine.

--

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (09/09/87)

>I DID check the manual.  For my version, 2.13, you can boot the system up
>normally, and then insert the FS disk in drive A.  For an EGA, you use the
>e parameter after the program name, .i.e.
>
>	fs e

	It is possible to get around this problem and even get FS to terminate
	back to DOS by using a great shareware program called Flight
	acessories III that will deprotect FS and give it an auto-pilot
	help function and flight recorder on the way. It's written by
	L.Dale Rhoton and is available on many local bulletin boards. It
	even lets you run off the hard disk.

	Time will only tell what the future holds for the destiny of man...

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (09/10/87)

In article <474@parcvax.Xerox.COM>, burton@parcvax.UUCP writes:

> I just got MS Flight Simulator (for my kids -) ) to run on my AT.  For normal
> use, I have the usual gaggle of drivers and TSR's.  I am running PC DOS 3.1
> without any modifications.
>
> I found that I could get FS to run if I booted up a vanilla DOS with only
> ANSI.SYS loaded?  However, I would like to preserve my normal environment
> as much as possible.
>
> Any suggestions or experience on drivers and TSR's that definitely work/don't
> work with FS?  Please post to the net rather than sending E-mail.  My mailer
> is very flaky here.

I may be wrong, but I think MS Flight Simulator does not run under
MS-DOS.  Yes, you can execute it from MS-DOS, and you can also boot
it directly from its distribution diskette, but I think that once it
gets control, it takes over.  You can't exit from it and return to
MS-DOS, can you?

When it is booted, it assumes the machine is reset.  If you execute
it from command.com, it probably assumes things are in a relatively
quiescent state.  If you've got TSR's floating around hooking
interrupts and such, you've probably perturbed the environment
enough that a standalone program like that one can't figure out
what kind of a machine it's in.
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

tj@utgpu.UUCP (09/11/87)

Does Flight Simulator support a Hercules display? The last version I saw
was strictly a CGA version. Does the EGA support really use ega or does it
just stick the ega in cga mode.

Does someone want to (send me|post) Flight Accessories III?
thks