[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Peachtree Accounting Software

blair@pt1.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian R. Lair) (09/11/87)

Has anyone purchased and used the Peachtree "Complete Business Accounting
System" which has been advertised as a $4800 package now selling for $199
(+$12.50 shipping)?  Is it truly complete?  Do they support it (e.g.
regular tax info updates)?  How's the documentation?
Brian R. Lair
NCR Corporation, E&M Wichita, Product Technology Development
<brian.lair@Wichita.NCR.COM>       {ncrcae|ncrlnk|ncr-sd}!ncrwic!brian.lair

agollum@ukecc.UUCP (09/12/87)

<115@pt1.Wichita.NCR.COM> blair@pt1.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian R. Lair) writes:
>Has anyone purchased and used the Peachtree "Complete Business Accounting
>System" which has been advertised as a $4800 package now selling for $199
>(+$12.50 shipping)?  Is it truly complete?  Do they support it (e.g.
>regular tax info updates)?  How's the documentation?

In an effort to save others the heartache I've gotten from this program,
I'm posting rather than responding directly.

This program, to coin a phrase, sucks dead bunnies through a straw.
We've installed the whole program but only use the payroll program.
We *used* to use the accounts receivables, accounts payables, and
general ledger as well, but thay stank so bad we gave up and got
CYMA's package instead.

HOW does it stink, you may ask?  Let's start with the documentation.
The chapters and appendices were evidently re-chaptered and re-
appendiced (ie, some chapters reduced to sections, some sections of
appendices made into full appendices), and, while the table of
contents is correct, NOBODY RE-EDITED THE MANUAL!  You get references
to chapters which no longer exist!  Actual page references, too!

The random-access data files are fixed, preset length.  Yes, you have
to estimate how many employees you'll enter through the year, how many AR
transactions you'll have in a month, etc.  The file sizes can be
changed, but it's a pain to see "FILE ARTRN006.DBT IS FULL" and
get dropped back to the main menu.  The worst part:  You don't tell
it how many transactions you'll have, you tell it how many bytes to
make the file.  How many bytes are there in a transaction?  Well,
there's a formula in the manual, but it's not under "Setting up
Accounts Receivable", it's in chapter five, under "Understanding
the Enter Invoices Program."  The section goes like this:
	AR must know how large to make your transaction file.
	Estimate the highest number of transactions (sales,
	returns, credits, and payments) you will process in
	any one accounting period.  Make your estimate a little
	high so you won't run out of room in the file.  Multiply that
	number by 90 to calculate your answer.  This number must be
	less than or equal to 4,000,000.
And this is an *easy* one.  You should see the descriptions for the
variable-length field files.

In many many places the program prompts you through various data items,
then asks "Accept Y/n".  These points are points of no return.   For
instance, if you enter a transcation with an error in it, then accept
it, you're stuck with it for the rest of the period.  The only way to
cancel it is to enter a reversing entry (same invoice number, opposite
amount) and then reenter the correct entry.  'Course, the entry is
still there, and both it and the correction will appear on all reports
and invoices until you complete the period.

Just today, the I had to change an employee's department code between
entering payroll data and calculating the pay.  It dutifully accepted
the payroll information, dutifully accepted the department change,
then quietly deleted the payroll information.  I have right
beside the keyboard a report showing the employee in his new
department, making $0.00.  Cute.

Let me also mention the payroll report which must, and can, only be
run *once*.  Ask to print it again, and you'll get "No eligible
Employees" or some such.  How about the "pay amount" field which
needs $ per hour for hourly employees, $ per year for everyone else?
Does the manual mention this?  Nooo.  How about the module for
entering hours from timecards, which goes ahead and figures the
pay (based on $/hr and overtime $/hr) as well.  If you then change
the pay rate before running "Calculate Pay" you'll get the pay based
on the old pay rate!  You'll actually get something like
HOURS   40.00  RATE  4.5000   PAY  170.00  (Old pay rate was 4.25) on
the check.

The general ledger and AR modules, at least, can *NOT* keep totals
straight.  I used to run the "Recover Data Files" option every week
to account totals (it always found about 4-5 that were off).  The
general ledger kept insisting, for the last two months, that our
general ledger totaled around $11 billion (only about 4 or 5 orders
of magnitude off).  The column of figures it professed to add had
no numbers in this range.

And bells?  You like hearing #@$#$@ bells?  You'll get'em.  Just
because the programmer feels like it, near as I can tell.  Bells,
"Hit return to continue", "Accept Y/n" till you're ready to
put your fist through the screen.  The error messages, on the other
hand, are *always* fatal, which means you go back to the main menu
immediately, like, before you get a chance to read the error
message.  No kidding, no "Hit return to continue" or anything.

Gads, this has gotten long.  But I hope I've made my point.
IF YOU GET THIS PACKAGE YOU WILL REGRET IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR
LIFE!!!	 And then some.

Anyone who wishes (like to convince your boss not to get this thing
because you'll have to run it) can write me for even more horror
stories concerning this abomination.

Kenneth Herron