[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 rumors, questions, and comments

jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) (08/12/87)

First, someone posted saying that a user-level task can bring down a 386
machine.  How?  Assuming the user has one readable code segment and one
readable data segment, neither of which contains system data; further,
the GDT, IDT, and paging directories are protected...now, what's the
trick that subverts the protection (also, assume that the O/S attempts
no error recovery, but terminates the executing task on any violation).

Second, I have heard that Sun is planning a 386-based machine.  If this
is true, it says something interesting:  that someone with no financial
interest in Intel and a considerable investment in Motorola has chosen
an Intel part.  Sun certainly isn't turning its back on Motorola, but
broadening one's horizons never hurt anyone.

I've written multitaskers for both the 80xxx family and the 68xxx family,
and I'll admit that the 68xxx program was cleaner and easier to write.
The problem is that a UN*X primitive like fork() is difficult to implement
because pointers in the parent and child point to the same object.  In my
80xxx version, **because of segmentation**, the pointers do what they
are supposed to.  Using register-based addressing is the only consistent
solution for the 68000, and is (in my opinion) unacceptable.  The other
"solution" (a 68020 with MMU) was unacceptable at the time, and restricts
the use of the program, while the 80xxx version will run identically on
anything from an 8088 to an 80386 (32-bit registers and all).

Sorry to ramble on without any serious flaming (:-), but to tell the truth,
I've been programming these two processor families for over two years, and
still haven't made up my mind.  Flames to /dev/null, constructive comments
are welcome.

John Brennen
jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu
Visual Inspection Lab
Carnegie Mellon U.

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (08/13/87)

In article <1014@vi.ri.cmu.edu> jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:

>Second, I have heard that Sun is planning a 386-based machine.  If this
>is true, it says something interesting:  that someone with no financial
>interest in Intel and a considerable investment in Motorola has chosen
>an Intel part.  Sun certainly isn't turning its back on Motorola, but
>broadening one's horizons never hurt anyone.

 As far as I know, SUN has no plans to implement an intel based machine.
 This sounds like  a self-serving rumor started by Intel. The next SUN
 machine out will be the SUN 4, which will be based on a very high speed
 RISC processor(10+MIPS). The only rumor that I have ever heard about SUN
 and Intel is that SUN was able to emulate the instruction set of the 8088
 in a software routine on the SUN3, and still beat out the PC in performance.
 They intended to offer this software emulation as their answer to IBM
 PC compatibility since, as far as I know, SUN would rather die than dirty
 their hands with an intel chip.

>I've written multitaskers for both the 80xxx family and the 68xxx family,
>and I'll admit that the 68xxx program was cleaner and easier to write.
>The problem is that a UN*X primitive like fork() is difficult to implement
>"solution" (a 68020 with MMU) was unacceptable at the time, and restricts
    This is a little like saying 'I bought a ford without wheels and I
    couldn't drive it, so now I only  buy chevrolets.'

jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu.UUCP (08/14/87)

In article <249@etn-rad.UUCP>, jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) writes:
> In article <1014@vi.ri.cmu.edu> jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:
> >
> >Second, I have heard that Sun is planning a 386-based machine.  If this
>
>  As far as I know, SUN has no plans to implement an intel based machine.
>  This sounds like  a self-serving rumor started by Intel. The next SUN
>  PC compatibility since, as far as I know, SUN would rather die than dirty
>  their hands with an intel chip.
>
> >The problem is that a UN*X primitive like fork() is difficult to implement
> >"solution" (a 68020 with MMU) was unacceptable at the time, and restricts
>     This is a little like saying 'I bought a ford without wheels and I
>     couldn't drive it, so now I only  buy chevrolets.'

First, who are you to say whether Intel is spreading rumors or whether SUN
would dirty its hands with an Intel chip?  Seriously, if you know something
I don't, tell me.  Is there an official SUN policy regarding Intel?  As far
as I can tell, you aren't affiliated with SUN...  (And I heard about the
SUN/4 weeks ago; something like 18000 Dhrystones -- wow!)

As for your other comment... totally inept analogy.  I must admit that I
invited it, mentioning the 8086 and the 68020 in the same paragraph.  Sure,
the 68020 is (in general) a better processor than the 8086.  But let's
compare the current technology -- 68020 vs. 80386.  I use 68020-based
Apollo systems regularly, and a Compaq 386 system daily.  I'll say that
I get much more productive work out of the 386.  Note that the 80386 can
do on-chip memory management akin to the 68020-family's MMU.

As one final, very opinionated comment, what the hell are people doing
bashing Intel on comp.sys.ibm.pc?  What the hell are people who despise
Intel doing reading this newsgroup?  I honestly don't understand why you
don't just leave us alone -- those of us who happen to use PCs for
productive work and who want a forum for discussing aspects of MSDOS
machines and their uses.  Go away.  Thanks.

	John Brennen
	CMU visual inspection lab

These are my opinions, and I'll be damned if anyone else tries to claim them.

boykin@custom.UUCP (08/14/87)

>  As far as I know, SUN has no plans to implement an intel based machine.
>  This sounds like  a self-serving rumor started by Intel. The next SUN
>  machine out will be the SUN 4, which will be based on a very high speed
>  RISC processor(10+MIPS). The only rumor that I have ever heard about SUN
>  and Intel is that SUN was able to emulate the instruction set of the 8088
>  in a software routine on the SUN3, and still beat out the PC in performance.
>  They intended to offer this software emulation as their answer to IBM
>  PC compatibility since, as far as I know, SUN would rather die than dirty
>  their hands with an intel chip.

Looks like SUN is dead than... They've had a '286 add-on board for
their systems for at least a year now, maybe more.  By adding this
board you have a fully compatable DOS system.  DOS comes up as
a window on your system that you can toggle between.

I know the guy who designed the board and got an early demo,
it was pretty nice.

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems
...necntc!custom!boykin

dbercel@toto.uucp (Danielle Bercel, MIS Systems Programming) (08/14/87)

In article <249@etn-rad.UUCP> jru@etn-rad.UUCP (0000-John Unekis) writes:
>In article <1014@vi.ri.cmu.edu> jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:
>>
>>Second, I have heard that Sun is planning a 386-based machine.  If this
>>is true, it says something interesting:  that someone with no financial
>>interest in Intel and a considerable investment in Motorola has chosen
>>an Intel part.  Sun certainly isn't turning its back on Motorola, but
>>broadening one's horizons never hurt anyone.
>>
> As far as I know, SUN has no plans to implement an intel based machine.
> This sounds like  a self-serving rumor started by Intel. The next SUN
> machine out will be the SUN 4, which will be based on a very high speed
> RISC processor(10+MIPS). The only rumor that I have ever heard about SUN
> and Intel is that SUN was able to emulate the instruction set of the 8088
> in a software routine on the SUN3, and still beat out the PC in performance.
> They intended to offer this software emulation as their answer to IBM
> PC compatibility since, as far as I know, SUN would rather die than dirty
> their hands with an intel chip.

First, let me say that I know nothing of Sun's future design and marketing
plans. They usually don't consult with me on these decisions :-).

We have a product called Sun IPC that is a AT on a board. We don't
emulate an 8088, we actually have an Intel 80286 that interfaces with
a Sun 3 via the VME bus.

The IPC board runs in a window and, for all intents and purposes, is an AT. The
clocl speed is 10Mhz and includes one parallel port and two emulated serial
ports. In addition to the physical parallel port there are two emulated
parallel ports. We also can emulate extended memory, up to 4MB. Also, as
part of the stanard software, there is an EPSON to Postscript filter that
works perfectly. This includes EPSON bit-mapped graphics. In additon to all this,
the board has some further advantages over an AT though. By using NFS we can link
our Unix file system  to the MSDOS file system. And files can be moved back and
forth trannparently. For example, I am using a Sun 3/160 and I have an
IPC board in this system. If I were to open the IPC window I would find
that I have Drive A: and B: (hardware attatched) and Drive C:, D:, and E:.
Drive C: is am emulated hard disk. In reality it is a single unix file. As
a consequence, whenever I back up my 3/160 Drive C: gets backed up along with
everything else.

Drive D: is a RAM disk and Drive E: is actually a directory on my 3/160. This
is different from the emulated C: drive. If I were to do a DIR of drive E: I
would find that I have 240MB of available disk space. I can access disc
space this way (via NFS) on many systems throughout Sun. I can store data
and/or program files on an NFSed file system and execute/access them just
as I would a file/program on Drive C:. The Sun IPC board is very impressive
and I love it. Not as much as I love my Sun 3/160, but it's close. The IPC
board allows me to take advantage of all the MSDOS software without having
to leave my Unix environment.

So, we are in fact using an Intel chip and as far as I know, nobody has
died yet :-).

danielle
---------
--

---\        UUCP: {hplabs,decvax,}!sun!toto!{danielle,dbercel}
---->  Toto, I don't this this is Kansas

CHRIS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Christopher Dietrich) (08/14/87)

In article <1016@vi.ri.cmu.edu>, jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:

>As one final, very opinionated comment, what the hell are people doing
>bashing Intel on comp.sys.ibm.pc?  What the hell are people who despise
>Intel doing reading this newsgroup?  I honestly don't understand why you
>don't just leave us alone -- those of us who happen to use PCs for
>productive work and who want a forum for discussing aspects of MSDOS
>machines and their uses.  Go away.  Thanks.

   I agree.  And I wish the people who have nothing better to do than
bash IBM would follow.

Chris Dietrich, Systems Programmer
Center for Information Technology
Princeton University
CHRIS@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU <BITNET>

jjboritz@watdragon.UUCP (08/16/87)

In article <3245@pucc.Princeton.EDU> CHRIS@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>In article <1016@vi.ri.cmu.edu>, jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:
>
>>As one final, very opinionated comment, what the hell are people doing
>>bashing Intel on comp.sys.ibm.pc?  What the hell are people who despise
>>Intel doing reading this newsgroup?  I honestly don't understand why you
>>don't just leave us alone -- those of us who happen to use PCs for
>>productive work and who want a forum for discussing aspects of MSDOS
>>machines and their uses.  Go away.  Thanks.
>
>   I agree.  And I wish the people who have nothing better to do than
>bash IBM would follow.

Well excuse us all for voicing an opinion, but if no one ever complained
and we all relied upon good ol' IBM to come up with improvements on their
own, where would the PC be now.

Jim Boritz   <backbone>!watmath!watdragon!jjboritz

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) (08/16/87)

In article <774@custom.UUCP> boykin@custom.UUCP (Joseph Boykin) writes:
>(some other uninformed but talkative soul said:)
>>  As far as I know, SUN has no plans to implement an intel based machine.

Glad you started with the "As far as I know" part... Sun announced
several months ago their intention to bring out 80x86 based systems.
The obvious business reason is to provide "one-stop shopping" for the
people who need MS-DOS applications for some users, and don't need
UNIX, or the price tags of even the 3/50 and 3/60 systems.  Nobody
says they're choosing this as a _technically desirable_ solution,
merely a practical one.  But they _are_ doing it.

--
 ///==\\   (No disclaimer - nobody's listening anyway.)
///        Roger B.A. Klorese, CELERITY (Northeast Area)

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (08/18/87)

In article <1016@vi.ri.cmu.edu> jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:

>As one final, very opinionated comment, what the hell are people doing
>bashing Intel on comp.sys.ibm.pc?  What the hell are people who despise
>Intel doing reading this newsgroup?  I honestly don't understand why you
>don't just leave us alone -- those of us who happen to use PCs for
>productive work and who want a forum for discussing aspects of MSDOS
>machines and their uses.  Go away.  Thanks.
>
>	John Brennen
>	CMU visual inspection lab

So, everyone who uses an IBM compatible machine has to love Intel?
Did it ever cross your mind that there are those of us out here who
are spending lots of time doing PC development and still cursing IBM
and Intel because of the junk we have to put up with?  Do you realize
how much development time is wasted because software is so hard to
write-for/port-to the PC environment.  Intel's segmented architecture
and IBM's decision to use the 80x86 has probably set the industry back
ten years.

In my office I have a 68020 machine running Unix and an AT compatible
running MS-DOS.  Guess which one I prefer to develop on.  In the next
cubicle my coworker has an PS/2 Model 80.  I've played with it.  I've
also seen and laughed at OS/2.  Guess what I'd still rather work with.
The 68020 box wins every time.

My 68020 machine does multitasking and has virtual memory.  Can any
machine with an Intel processor do that?  The Amiga does a nice job of
multitasking (although no virtual memory) and all it has is a lowly
68000 with no memory management chip.  I've seen multitasking kludges
for IBM/Intel machines, but none that work as well as the Amiga.

Sure there is a huge market for machines that use Intel processors,
but can any informed person out there honestly sat that they are
"better"?

Darren Leigh
dleigh@hplabs.hp.com

DISCLAIMER:  The preceding opinions are mine and may or may not be
shared by my employers.

ballou@wheatena (Kenneth R. Ballou) (08/27/87)

In article <1014@vi.ri.cmu.edu> jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:
>First, someone posted saying that a user-level task can bring down a 386
>machine.  How?

	I was surprised while reading the 80386 Programmer's Reference
Manual to see that in Virtual 8086 mode, the instructions IN, INS, OUT,
and OUTS are *not* IOPL (I/O Privilege Level) sensitive.  So, for example,
a user task could reset the CPU in the same way as one resets the 80286 in
the AT by sending an appropriate command to the 8042.

rich@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Richard Pettit) (09/11/87)

In article <1197@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> ballou@wheatena.UUCP (Kenneth R. Ballou) writes:
>In article <1014@vi.ri.cmu.edu> jfb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (John Brennen) writes:
>Manual to see that in Virtual 8086 mode, the instructions IN, INS, OUT,
>and OUTS are *not* IOPL (I/O Privilege Level) sensitive.  So, for example,
>a user task could reset the CPU in the same way as one resets the 80286 in
>the AT by sending an appropriate command to the 8042.

However, those instructions ARE sensitive to the I/O permission bit map.
Therefore, if you want to allow your virtual PC to reboot the ENTIRE machine,
help yourself. What do you think a V86 monitor is for ? So that you
can model the limitations of the virtual PC.

rich@devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (09/11/87)

In article <1197@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> ballou@wheatena.UUCP (Kenneth R. Ballou) writes:
>	I was surprised while reading the 80386 Programmer's Reference
>Manual to see that in Virtual 8086 mode, the instructions IN, INS, OUT,
>and OUTS are *not* IOPL (I/O Privilege Level) sensitive.  So, for example,
>a user task could reset the CPU in the same way as one resets the 80286 in
>the AT by sending an appropriate command to the 8042.

However, there is an I/O permission bitmap in the TSS that protects
against unwanted I/O instructions.  So if the OS sets up the TSS
correctly, the system will be protected.

[stuff
keep
news
happy]
--
Mark Alexander	...{hplabs,seismo,sun,ihnp4}!amdahl!drivax!alexande
"Bob-ism: the Faith that changes to meet YOUR needs." -- Bob

stever@tekgen.TEK.COM (Imants Golts) (09/12/87)

In regards to Sun's plans for an intel based machine...

In Software Business, an insert in Computer Systems News, on page
3 is a report that Sun is working out details of incorporating
Phoenix's MS-DOS compatibility technology in Sun's Unix workstations.

In addition, a systems analyst at an investment firm suggests that
one of Sun's options is a 386-based workstation running Unix on MS-DOS
via Phoenix BIOS technology.  (Sept 7, l987 issue)

I hope they do it as I am not impressed with any of the 386's out there
now especially the ones using the Intel mother board however cheap
they are or become.

---Steve Rogers