[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Do any Redirect lead to COM2:?

MRS@PSUVM.BITNET (09/12/87)

Help!
  I'm trying to redirect printer output from LPT1: to COM2:, but am
  having no luck.  Running under MS-DOS 3.2, I enter:
           MODE COM2:1200,e,7,2,p
           MODE LPT1:=COM2:
  DOS responds saying COM2: is initialized, and LPT1: is redirected
  to COM2:, yet whenever anything is sent to LPT1:, a device error
  occurs (timeout error).  If I send directly to COM2: everything
  is hunky-dorey.  Any clues?  Am I cursed to never use anything that
  ASSUMES all printing is done off LPT1?  Shall I just go buy a new
  Bleeding printer?
                     == Mark
Mark Supinski                                     916-10 Southgate Dr
(814) 867-2550                                    State College Pa 16801
                     MRS at PSUVM

"If only I could get that wonderful feeling of accomplishment
      without actually having to do anything......"

daveg@hpcvra.HP.COM (Dave Guggisberg) (09/14/87)

To: MRS@PSUVM.BITNET
Subject: Re: Do any Redirect lead to COM2:?
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

I tried to mail this directly but my mailer doesn't seem to know
how to get to BITNET.  So I'm posting this instead.

Re: Trying to use a serial printer with MS-DOS 3.2

I, too, have had the same problem.  I have talked with Microsoft
about it and it is a confirmed bug in 3.2.  I have also tested
PC-DOS 3.3 and found it to be  a little better but still has
problems.

In my investigations it seems to depend on which INT 21 function
is used by the program.  If the old 05H and 09H calls are used
you're hosed.  If the program uses Handles through function 40H
then the serial printer will work fine.

My solution is to boot MS-DOS 3.1 when the program uses functions
05H and 09H, which, of course, is a real pain.  Yes, 3.1 does not
have this problem.

Eventually I will cave-in and buy a parallel printer as that is
what DOS seems to like best.

Dave Guggisberg

Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis, Or