[net.music] Suzanne Vega & Jane Siberry

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (10/26/85)

> From:	mit-eddie!nessus	(Doug Alan)

> I will be one of the first to say that Jane Siberry is very talented and
> deserves praise, but I don't think it fair of you at all to imply that
> Suzanne Vega does not deserve the praise she has received.  I also
> challenge your claim that Jane Siberry is in anyway "deeper".  How can
> you make claims like these having only heard "a small piece of one
> Suzanne Vega song"?  I also don't find Jane Siberry and Suzanne Vega
> very similar at all.  Jane Siberry is usually quite humorous, and
> Suzanne Vega is usually deathly serious.  Siberry's melodies are much
> catchier than Vega's.

For once (only being funny, Doug) you hit the nail right on the head. I have
Jane Siberry's NO BORDERS HERE and look forward eagerly to her next album's
release, but she is definitely of a different flavor than Suzanne Vega. I
prefer Vega, but that is simply a matter of personal taste.

I also wonder how Mr. Iverson could claim that Siberry is "deeper" than Vega
without having heard more than part of one song. Put the shoe on the other
foot --- if all one heard of Siberry was "Waitress", I can't imagine thinking
that she was "deep" in *any* way.

And by the way, for those of you here in the U.S. who'd like a taste of Jane
Siberry's music, her album NO BORDERS HERE is available in the U.S. It's on
Open Air Records, a division of Windham Hill, and distributed by A&M Records
(coincidentally, Suzanne Vega's label). The store where I got it had the LP
in the Windham Hill section and the cassette in the Rock/Pop section, so try
either/both if you're looking for it.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA