[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ARChiving of binary postings

dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (09/15/87)

I have recently been informed that posting ARChived binaries and sources
actually takes more transmission time in the net than if the un-compressed
files were posted.  This is supposedly due to the fact that unix 'compress'es
these postings before they go out, and an .ARC file actually *grows* when
compressed.

I find it hard to believe that the unix file transfers don't check for the
'compress' error code 2 (resulting file is larger than original).

Could anybody clarify this issue?  I'm not interested in statistics of
compress and ARC, because I *do* realize that compressing an ARC file will
make it grow--I'm not disputing that...

If this turns out to be true, it certainly would make more sense for everyone
to post 'shar'ed archives, which are not compressed at all.  Hopefully,
unix is smart enough not to use a enlarged-compression when sending, since
the .ARC files get a better overall compression than 'compress'ed files...

-dalegass@dalcsug.uucp

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (09/15/87)

In article <138@dalcsug.UUCP>, dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
> I have recently been informed that posting ARChived binaries and sources
> actually takes more transmission time in the net than if the un-compressed
> files were posted.  This is supposedly due to the fact that unix 'compress'es
> these postings before they go out, and an .ARC file actually *grows* when
> compressed.
Nope.  Compress will expand (marginally) an ARC'd archive, since you can only
compress something so much, but once it is uuencoded, it can be compressed
again, since uuencoding introduces some redundancy.  Furthermore, not all sites
run compressed news and for some sites (like mine) where disk space is at a
premium having four or five 100K uuencoded binary files would make life quite
miserable.
> If this turns out to be true, it certainly would make more sense for everyone
> to post 'shar'ed archives, which are not compressed at all.

You can't shar binaries.  Just don't work.

--
David L. Smith
{sdcsvax!sdamos,ihnp4!jack!man, hp-sdd!crash}!sdeggo!dave

johnk@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) (09/16/87)

In article <138@dalcsug.UUCP> dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP (Dale Gass) writes:
|I find it hard to believe that the unix file transfers don't check for the
|'compress' error code 2 (resulting file is larger than original).

I don't.  That would mean that anything that had that error could never
be sent (arc or no arc).  Sounds okay to me..  (but i don't pay ld bills
either - not yet at least)
--
John Knutson   {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!auscso!johnk
       		(please do NOT mail to knutson6 anymore)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (09/16/87)

A few words about the use of ARC, compress, and zoo. ARC and zoo run in
both UNIX and DOS, compress seems to run 12bit only in DOS (it could
barely run 16 bit).

Method		ARC	zoo	comp12	comp16
real		100.16	52.72	29.98	28.14
user		 92.16	49.62	24.36	24.66
output bytes	87767	82913	86122	71343

Since this is intended for information only, I draw no conclusions.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)