[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hh hd's in a z-150

johnk@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) (09/08/87)

Does anyone know if a half-height hard disk will mount inside a zenith
z-150's floppy drive housing (internal on floppy and "fixed" - some may
find THAT term objectionable too :-)?
--
John Knutson   {ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!ut-ngp!auscso!johnk
       		(please do NOT mail to knutson6 anymore)

phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) (09/08/87)

In article <255@auscso.UUCP> johnk@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
>Does anyone know if a half-height hard disk will mount inside a zenith
>z-150's floppy drive housing (internal on floppy and "fixed" - some may
>find THAT term objectionable too :-)?

Yes.  I installed a 20M Seagate drive in my Z-150 with no difficulties.
In fact, there is (just barely) room to put a half-height hard disk
beneath the two standard floppy drives.  If you do that, I think you
need to split one of the power feeds to the floppies and direct the
other, unsplit, power feed to the hard disk.  I don't know why anyone
would need two floppy drives when there's a hard disk installed, though.

--
                        John Miller  (ecsvax!phco)
                        Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of N.C.-Chapel Hill

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) (09/09/87)

If the z-150 has the same form factors as the z-158 (and I'm fairly sure it
does) then a half-height hard-drive will fit UNDER the floppy drives.  Thus,
I have three drives in my machine.  Or the half-height drive can (physically)
take the place of a floppy drive.

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (09/09/87)

In article <3838@ecsvax.UUCP>, phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
> In article <255@auscso.UUCP> johnk@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) writes:
> >Does anyone know if a half-height hard disk will mount inside a zenith
> >z-150's floppy drive housing (internal on floppy and "fixed" - some may
> >find THAT term objectionable too :-)?
>
> Yes.  I installed a 20M Seagate drive in my Z-150 with no difficulties.
> other, unsplit, power feed to the hard disk.  I don't know why anyone
> would need two floppy drives when there's a hard disk installed, though.

Even in a HD machine two floppies can be helpful in doing multiple
diskcopies between floppies or can speed up HD backup (e.g. Fastback
using floppies A: and B:).
--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

sehr@uicsrd.UUCP (09/09/87)

The Zenith 150 also allows the installation of a hard disk under the
floppy drives.  I installed one there and have never had any problems
with it.

David

parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) (09/09/87)

I have a half-height hard disk in a z-150.  Works just fine.  On some
drives (I've had several) you have to remove the front bezel to get it
to fit the lower section and leave room for two diskette drives.

I got it from Micro Design International (in Fla somewhere).  They
adverstise in Byte and other mags.

johnk@auscso.UUCP (John Knutson) (09/16/87)

In article <3838@ecsvax.UUCP> phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>would need two floppy drives when there's a hard disk installed, though.

First, my machine originally came with the two floppies.  Second, i'd
like to see YOU put 73 megs or more worth of floppies onto a 20meg HD.
I have over 200 floppies (200*360*1024=~73megs) so there's no WAY one hd
isn't going to do any good.  besides, even if i only had one floppy, the
main reason for getting the hd in the first place was to have the extra
storage and the extra drive for applications that require much more than
I've got.
--

gof@crash.CTS.COM (Jerry Fountain) (09/16/87)

In article <3838@ecsvax.UUCP> phco@ecsvax.UUCP (John Miller) writes:
>Yes.  I installed a 20M Seagate drive in my Z-150 with no difficulties.
>In fact, there is (just barely) room to put a half-height hard disk
>beneath the two standard floppy drives.  If you do that, I think you
>need to split one of the power feeds to the floppies and direct the
>other, unsplit, power feed to the hard disk.  I don't know why anyone
>would need two floppy drives when there's a hard disk installed, though.
>--
>                        John Miller  (ecsvax!phco)
>                        Dept. of Pharmacology, Univ. of N.C.-Chapel Hill
>                        Chapel Hill, NC 27514       (919) 966-4343

I have also been considering this move but I was worried about 1 thing.  The
Seagate drives tend to put out a *LOT* of heat.  Mounting the drive under the
floppies leaves little (if any) room for air cooling.  Anyone know, in general
, what this will end up doing?

Also, did anyone wire up a new LED to watch for drive activity?