[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Silly IBM lawsuit

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (09/02/87)

I just heard on the news that IBM is suing Orchid and AST for
mis-using the term PS/2 (apparently tm IBM) in their advertisements.
OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
other 9 digits.

Bill (wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

I wonder what Apple with have to say about the Apple II -- or is
that the "Apple Eye Eye"

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) (09/03/87)

In article <681@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> I just heard on the news that IBM is suing Orchid and AST for
> mis-using the term PS/2 (apparently tm IBM) in their advertisements.
> OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
> using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
> intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
> rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
> other 9 digits.
>
> I wonder what Apple with have to say about the Apple II -- or is
> that the "Apple Eye Eye"

....nope. Apple is exempt because it's in reality Apple ][, not Apple II.

....egads, this is just about as silly as Lotus suing over look & feel. Next
thing you know, we'll have IBM telling us they own the rights to the words
"Floppy Disk", "Motherboard", and "8086". Of course, IBM DOES have Net access,
but all they can do is read. For security reasons they can't post...

						Omega.Mosley

BTW: has anyone REALLY added slots to the Slotless Model 30? We're considering
doing that here if it really works. After delving into the Jr for the past
year, prior track record tends to lend validity to this tale...

...not to mention all the memos I hear that are flying around the Big Blue
Corporatt At At3@Y.

tr@wind.bellcore.com (tom reingold) (09/03/87)

In article <6125@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:
$ In article <681@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
$ > I just heard on the news that IBM is suing Orchid and AST for
$ > mis-using the term PS/2 (apparently tm IBM) in their advertisements.
$ > OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
$ > using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
$ > intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
$ > rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
$ > other 9 digits.
$ >
$ > I wonder what Apple with have to say about the Apple II -- or is
$ > that the "Apple Eye Eye"
$
$ [...]
$
$ ....egads, this is just about as silly as Lotus suing over look & feel. Next
$ thing you know, we'll have IBM telling us they own the rights to the words
$ "Floppy Disk", "Motherboard", and "8086".
$ [...]
$

I read about a lawsuit that really made me laugh.  Computer Land sued
Business Land because of the "Land" in the name.  Fortunately, the
judge threw the suit out, saying, "What are you going to do next, sue
Disneyland??"

Tom Reingold
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP: 		{ihnp4,ucbvax,decvax}!bellcore!tr
		{ulysses,allegra,clyde,princeton}!bellcore!tr

In article <681@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>I just heard on the news that IBM is suing Orchid and AST for
>mis-using the term PS/2 (apparently tm IBM) in their advertisements.
>OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
>using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
>intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
>rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
>other 9 digits.
>
>Bill (wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

This could pose a problem for me as I have used lots of 2's in many
of my programs. Do I have to extract them all and send them to IBM ?

What is the work around ?

One thing I thought of was redefineing HEX as:

0 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f g

and calling it sexadecimal, so I tried it and asked sombody here
at work to give to me in sex and they hit me, and a guy
across the way looked at me funny.

Perhaps IBM would reconsider if everyone takes all their 2's from
their programs, and send them by US mail to IBM's legal department,
with carbon copies to just about everyone there.

--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the key in my ignition..."

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) (09/04/87)

In article <1424@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <681@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>>I just heard on the news that IBM is suing Orchid and AST for
>>mis-using the term PS/2 (apparently tm IBM) in their advertisements.
>>OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
>>using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
>>intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
>>rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
>>other 9 digits.
>>
>>Bill (wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)
>
>This could pose a problem for me as I have used lots of 2's in many
>of my programs. Do I have to extract them all and send them to IBM ?
>
>What is the work around ?
>
>One thing I thought of was redefineing HEX as:
>
>0 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f g
>
>and calling it sexadecimal, so I tried it and asked sombody here
>at work to give to me in sex and they hit me, and a guy
>across the way looked at me funny.

This would more than likely be an infringement on CBS Personal Softwares
new copy protection method.  Their method depends on "gaps" in the
binary image of a program that contain no twos.  This would trigger
a government mandated copy protection device that would prevent
the recording drive from writing.

In the IBM suit, the trademark issue is actually over the "/2". IBM
claims this as a trademark.

Zilog claims the single letter "Z" as a trademark, though.

--
Greg Laskin
"When everybody's talking and nobody's listening, how can we decide?"

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/04/87)

In article <2342@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>I read about a lawsuit that really made me laugh.  Computer Land sued
>Business Land because of the "Land" in the name.  Fortunately, the
>judge threw the suit out, saying, "What are you going to do next, sue
>Disneyland??"

Actually it's a bit ironical, because Computerland had a predecessor
called Computer Shack, and it had to change its name because Radio
Shack sued it successfully.

Both land and shack are pretty generic terms, as are words such as
"computer", "micro", "soft", "pc", and "sig".  Yet combine them two at
a time, and you get a trademark that judges will frequently uphold as
valid.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (09/04/87)

In article <681@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> [...]  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
> using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
> intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
> rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
> other 9 digits.

I recall several years ago an article in Lifelines (remember that one?),
written by Troxel Ballou. Seems that Zilog went after Lifelines and its
advertisers, saying that Z-80 is a trademark of Zilog. No problem, right?

They also went after a couple of vendors for calling their Z-80 specific
products Z-something, claiming that the Z was also a distinctive trademark
of Zilog. This was met with general merriment. Ballou signed his article
"Ztroxel Zballou". hehehehe.

I hope Zilog gave up on that silly idea...after all, my callsign could be
suspect...

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC...>splut!< | uucp: hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!nuchat!splut!jay
"Don't ask ME about Unix...  | (or sun!housun!nuchat)       CI$: 71036,1603

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) (09/04/87)

In article <681@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>I just heard on the news that IBM is suing Orchid and AST for
>mis-using the term PS/2 (apparently tm IBM) in their advertisements.
>OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
>using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
>intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
>rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
>other 9 digits.

Or not...supposedly IBM trademarked 1-99 when it introduced PL/1.

--

Regards,

George Hart, Computer X Canada Ltd.
UUCP: utzoo
	    >!mnetor!george
      seismo
BELL: (416)475-8980

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (09/04/87)

>>OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
>>using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
>>intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
>>rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
>>other 9 digits.

>This could pose a problem for me as I have used lots of 2's in many
>of my programs. Do I have to extract them all and send them to IBM ?

   Actually, I thought IBM always did have the rights to "number two."
Everybody seems to be using the term "PC" without IBM complaining. I
personally (no pun intended) would not WANT to use the term "Personal
Computer." Is it just me, or does this kind of thing (along with "user
friendly") make an actual computer scientist want to throw up? If so,
I propose that we think up an alternate term, and refrain from saying
the "PC" word from now on. While we're at it, why don't we change the
name of this group from comp.sys.ibm.pc to something like comp.sys.8088?
--Disclaimer- I'm not fanatical, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over
what I just wrote if most of you don't agree with it. But let's see your
opinions posted about this.

>One thing I thought of was redefineing HEX as:
>
>0 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f g
>
>and calling it sexadecimal, so I tried it and asked sombody here

   Wouldn't this be septadecimal?

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
Steve Creps on the VAX 8650 running Ultrix 1.2 at Indiana University.
	creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
Josey: "It seems like whenever I get to likin' somebody, they ain't
	around much longer."
Chief: "I noticed when you get to not likin' somebody, they ain't around
	much longer, either."

sam@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Sam Baxter) (09/04/87)

in article <1098@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) says:
>In article <2342@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
>>                                                   Computer Land sued
>>Business Land because of the "Land" in the name.
>
> Actually it's a bit ironical, because Computerland had a predecessor
> called Computer Shack, and it had to change its name because Radio
> Shack sued it successfully.

If my memory serves me correctly, Computer Shack not only copied the
"Shack" but they also copied the *style* of the Radio Shack logo.  I
believe that strongly reinforced Tandy's case (and was cause for the
final decision).

I'm not a lawyer (just a humble programmer :-), but it's my understanding
that registered trademarks are not simply on words, but on the way which
words are printed.  Yes?  No?

I must agree that claiming that "/2" cannot be used by anybody
in the computer industry but IBM is ludicrous at best.  (Quick!
Somebody find another giant company that once-upon-a-time named
a product *Something*/2!  Then have THEM sue IBM!)

Another thought.  I wonder about \2 ...

--
Sam Baxter (sam@rd.BRS.Com)
BRS Information Technologies;  Latham, NY  12110;  518-783-1161

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) (09/05/87)

In article <15000019@silver>, creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

> >>OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
> >>using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
> >>intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
> >>rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
> >>other 9 digits.
>
> >This could pose a problem for me as I have used lots of 2's in many
> >of my programs. Do I have to extract them all and send them to IBM ?
>
>    Actually, I thought IBM always did have the rights to "number two."
> Everybody seems to be using the term "PC" without IBM complaining. I
> personally (no pun intended) would not WANT to use the term "Personal
> Computer." Is it just me, or does this kind of thing (along with "user
> friendly") make an actual computer scientist want to throw up? If so,
> I propose that we think up an alternate term, and refrain from saying
> the "PC" word from now on. While we're at it, why don't we change the
> name of this group from comp.sys.ibm.pc to something like comp.sys.8088?

...how about Comp.sys.IBM.Buahaha!

...or Comp.sys.IBM.snicker.snicker.snicker

...or Comp.sys.IBM./2 (just to see what they'd say...)

....or, if you REALLY want to drop the I-word from the newsgroup, then we could
call it Comp.sys.msdos.machines, although it would sort of alienate our UNIX's
and our soon-to-be OS/2 (oops!) junkies...

						Omega.Mosley

Disclaimer: IBM can read our Usenet posts, but cannot RESPOND! So THTHTHTHPP!!

billw@ncoast.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (09/06/87)

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) in <6125@ut-ngp.UUCP>:

>> Next thing you know, we'll have IBM telling us they own the rights to the
>> words "Floppy Disk", "Motherboard", and "8086".

IBM employees can't call it a "motherboard." Seems that the management thinks
that term may be offensive to some customers. That's the same reason they gave
us "fixed disks."
--
Bill Wisner
..sun!daslink![DCUNSN]MAX::WABE		..{cbosgd,decvax}!hal!ncoast!billw

In article <1760@brspyr1.BRS.Com> sam@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Sam Baxter) writes:

>I must agree that claiming that "/2" cannot be used by anybody
>in the computer industry but IBM is ludicrous at best.  (Quick!
>Somebody find another giant company that once-upon-a-time named
>a product *Something*/2!  Then have THEM sue IBM!)
>
>Another thought.  I wonder about \2 ...
>
>--

Ok. Cado Computer Systems (cadovax) used to have a product called the /1. There
was a 20/1 and a 40/1. Then came the /2, then the /4, and I came in somewhere
around the /8.

Cado got bought by Contel, and is now Contel Buisness Systems, but they still
have stuff for the Cado model /2 (Do you have a 20 or 40; that number was only
the terminal model #, the n in /n referred to the number of users you could
run on one of these 8085 based beasties)

coleman@sask.UUCP (Geoff Coleman @ College of Engineering) (09/08/87)

> I guess that now that IBM owns the
> rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
> other 9 digits.
>
> I wonder what Apple with have to say about the Apple II -- or is
> that the "Apple Eye Eye"

	For some reason this reminds mean about a law suit that
Apple launched a couple of years ago over the use of a garbage can
(somehow appropriate for Apple) as an Icon by another company. As I
recall they actually won that lawsuit (aren't lawyers wonderful).

When does something become non trade markable in the U.S.

Geoff Coleman                         | BITNET: Coleman@sask
College of Engineering                | UUCP: {utcsri,ihnp4}!sask!skul!geoff
University of Saskatchewan            | Compserve: 76515,1513  just a number
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan               | voice: (306) 966-5415

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (09/08/87)

....do you know when that Cado designation was released?

....remember, IBM has had System/1 for years...[[regretfully]]

					Omega.Mosley

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (09/08/87)

In article <1760@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, sam@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Sam Baxter) writes:

> I must agree that claiming that "/2" cannot be used by anybody
> in the computer industry but IBM is ludicrous at best.  (Quick!
> Somebody find another giant company that once-upon-a-time named
> a product *Something*/2!  Then have THEM sue IBM!)

How about using >>1 instead :-) ?

When IBM trademarked PL/1, the also trademarked PL/2, PL/3, PL/4, ... through
I don't know how many.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

Maybe it's the sound of a WET RAG hitting a smooth WEASEL!

rs1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Sersted) (09/09/87)

In article <1760@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, sam@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Sam Baxter) writes:
> in article <1098@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) says:
> >In article <2342@bellcore.bellcore.com> tr@wind.UUCP (tom reingold) writes:
> >>                                                   Computer Land sued
> >>Business Land because of the "Land" in the name.

		Lots of stuff deleted.

> Somebody find another giant company that once-upon-a-time named
> a product *Something*/2!  Then have THEM sue IBM!)

> Another thought.  I wonder about \2 ...
				^^^^^^^^^
That won't work.  the "\" kills the special meaning of the "2".  Then IBM
will only have part of a trademark.  However, "PS\\2", will work just fine
because the first "\" kills the special meaning of the second "\".

> --
> Sam Baxter (sam@rd.BRS.Com)
> BRS Information Technologies;  Latham, NY  12110;  518-783-1161
> { uunet!steinmetz | ihnp4! { dartvax | philabs!nyfca1 } } !brspyr1!sam

> "Information is Power"  -- R. Waters
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But, silliness is fun. -- Me

		Roger Sersted
		(Bell Labs, Naperville, IL)
		ihnp4!ihlpa!rs1

		&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
		--------B------E--------
		$$$$$$$$$I$$$$R$$$$$$$$$
		**********Z**R**********
		|||||||||||A||||||||||||

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (09/09/87)

In article <6125@ut-ngp.UUCP>, omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:
> ....egads, this is just about as silly as Lotus suing over look & feel. Next
> thing you know, we'll have IBM telling us they own the rights to the words
> "Floppy Disk", "Motherboard", and "8086".

Acutally, IBM being its typical self calls a motherboard a
"planar".  I also love their word "feature" which referes to a
necessary system component that must be purchased separately at
additional cost.

Of course, IBM isn't alone at inventing piece meal computers.  DEC
also prices every iota of their personal computers separately.

I have to give Brother Blue credit.  Their new machines are quite
nicely assembled, right down to the "made in Usa" sticker next to the
power switch.  My only gripe is that the model 50 should really
have had bigger/faster disk drive ...er "features" avialable.  I
was very surprised to see the 20 meg 80 mS drive lurking in there!
At least, the IBMCACHE helps out.

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (09/09/87)

In article <681@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>I just heard on the news that IBM is suing Orchid and AST for
>mis-using the term PS/2 (apparently tm IBM) in their advertisements.
>OK, I'll grant them that.  IBM aslo filed suit against AST for
>using the suffix "2" in the name of one of their enhancement boards
>intended for use with the PS/2.  I guess that now that IBM owns the
>rights to 2, the rest of us will learn to have to make due with the
>other 9 digits.
>
>Bill (wtm@neoucom.UUCP   ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)

I think IBM owns the right to "/2", not the number two.

Thus, any program that divides by two is violating their copyright.
Better modify all your programs to multiply by .5 instead!
:^D :^D :^D
--
                                        Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (09/09/87)

In article <1600@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
|In article <1760@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, sam@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Sam Baxter) writes:
|>
|How about using >>1 instead :-) ?
|
|When IBM trademarked PL/1, the also trademarked PL/2, PL/3, PL/4, ... through
|I don't know how many.

I have heard this rumor, but I question its validity for several
reasons.  (1) PL/1 is an ANSI standard, and therefore can't be
trademarked to anybody, (2) IBM has not "defended" the PL/1 symbol as a
trademark, one of the requirements, and it is one three manuals just in
my office.  (3) To get a trademark the symbol must be used in interstate
trade, something I doubt that IBM has done.

Unless there is some hard information proving this, such as filing
dates, indication on manuals that the symbol is a trademark, or
information on suits filed to defend PL/n, I assume that this is just a
repetition of an old rumor.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (09/10/87)

in article <1600@frog.UUCP>, john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) says:

> When IBM trademarked PL/1, the also trademarked PL/2, PL/3, PL/4, ... through
> I don't know how many.

Some genius lawyer in the "old" Atari wanted to copyright all possible
eight-by-eight monochrome bitmaps.

The apocryphal part to this tale is that he moved to Tibet, where he
still works in a cave high in the Himalayas.  When he finishes all the
drawings, the universe will end....

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corporation	       {sun,amdcad,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those

bobmon@iucs.UUCP (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) (09/10/87)

>|When IBM trademarked PL/1, the also trademarked PL/2, PL/3, PL/4, ... through
>|I don't know how many.
>
>I have heard this rumor, but I question its validity for several
>reasons.  (1) PL/1 is an ANSI standard, and therefore can't be
>trademarked to anybody, (2) IBM has not "defended" the PL/1 symbol as a
>trademark, one of the requirements, and it is one three manuals just in
>my office.  (3) To get a trademark the symbol must be used in interstate
>trade, something I doubt that IBM has done.

My manuals all refer to PL/I, that's a capital "I" rather than a "one".  I
was told that this was because the "I"-form is trademark/copyright-able.
"PL/1" has some prior usage as the title of a book (by an IBM employee,
I think).

In article <6183@ut-ngp.UUCP> omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) writes:

>....do you know when that Cado designation was released?

77-78 timeframe

>....remember, IBM has had System/1 for years...[[regretfully]]

They can have /1 :-)

--
Richard J. Sexton

rlw@philabs.Philips.Com (Richard Wexelblat) (09/10/87)

In article <1600@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
>When IBM trademarked PL/1, the also trademarked PL/2, PL/3, PL/4, ... through
>I don't know how many.
>
>John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101

Wrongo, Bozo.

First of all, it's PL/I, not PL/1.  Secondly, IBM explicitly disclaimed any
rights to the name PL/I at some point during the PL/I standardization
activity.

I personally checked this information with the following people:

	Editor, ACM SIGPLAN Notices
	Editor, "History of Programming Languages"
	A former Vice Chairman of X3J1, the ANSI PL/I standardization Cte.
	A member of the SHARE PL/I Project (1965-1972)

and they all agreed.  (Never known so many technical people to agree so
unanimously of a point of argument!)

--

--Dick Wexelblat  {uunet|ihnp4|decvax}!philabs!rlw
		  rlw@philabs.philips.com

dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) (09/10/87)

In article <684@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> I have to give Brother Blue credit.  Their new machines are quite
> nicely assembled, right down to the "made in Usa" sticker next to the
> power switch.

Those liars!  I read in the paper the other day that they were having their
motherboards for the PS series manufactured in Japan.  Let's start a campaign
to have those stickers removed from the product :)  (Actually, the sticker
probably only refers to the power switch :) )

--
David L. Smith
{sdcsvax!sdamos,ihnp4!jack!man, hp-sdd!crash}!sdeggo!dave

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (09/10/87)

In article <850@sask.UUCP> coleman@sask.UUCP (Geoff Coleman @ College of Engineering) writes:
>	For some reason this reminds mean about a law suit that
>Apple launched a couple of years ago over the use of a garbage can
>(somehow appropriate for Apple) as an Icon by another company. As I
>recall they actually won that lawsuit (aren't lawyers wonderful).

They didn't actually sue us.  We had to pay them some
money and stop making GEM look so much like a MAC.  If
the matter had actually gone to court, we would have
had to stop selling GEM for the duration, which would
have killed the company in very short order.  This way
we get killed more slowly :-)
--
Mark Alexander	...{hplabs,seismo,sun,ihnp4}!amdahl!drivax!alexande
"Bob-ism: the Faith that changes to meet YOUR needs." -- Bob

mlinar@poisson.usc.edu (Mitch Mlinar) (09/11/87)

In article <84@sdeggo.UUCP> dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:
>In article <684@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>> I have to give Brother Blue credit.  Their new machines are quite
>> nicely assembled, right down to the "made in Usa" sticker next to the
>> power switch.
>
>Those liars!  I read in the paper the other day that they were having their
>motherboards for the PS series manufactured in Japan.  Let's start a campaign
>to have those stickers removed from the product :)  (Actually, the sticker
>probably only refers to the power switch :) )

Much truth to this.  A conversation piece here pertains to our IBM 3812
laster printer which has a "Made in USA" stamp on the backplane board.
However, the way it arrived, on the front panel there was the usual ID
on a brushed aluminum plate that read

                          IBM  (big letters)
                          3812 (small)

and on a white removable sticker below this was

          |             MADE IN JAPAN               |
          | After installation, please remove label |

It has been some eighteen months and the label is still untouched.

-Mitch

len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek) (09/11/87)

In article <1600@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:

>When IBM trademarked PL/1, the also trademarked PL/2, PL/3, PL/4, ... through
>I don't know how many.

I heard that they went up to PL/99 or PL/100, but foolishly neglected to
trademark PL/360. Niklaus Wirth then proceeded to use the name PL/360
for his Algol-like assembly language for the IBM System/360.

By the way, in response to an earlier posting on this subject,
It is Series/1 not System/1 that IBM has had for many years.
I spent 5 years programming on that most unusual machine.

Len

nwc@cunixc.columbia.edu (Nick Christopher) (09/11/87)

Was it USA or Usa Japan (China?) ;-). One of these two countries, back when
"made in USA" was something to look for, renamed a town Usa and started to
label all products made there "made in usa".  Mabye IBM is having there stuff
built there!

/nwc
--
		"I am the Lorvax. I speak for the machines."
nwc%cunixc@columbia, seismo!columbia!cunixc!nwc  BITNET: nwcus@cuvma

ayac071@ut-ngp.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (09/11/87)

In article <84@sdeggo.UUCP> dave@sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:
>In article <684@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>> I have to give Brother Blue credit.  Their new machines are quite
>> nicely assembled, right down to the "made in Usa" sticker next to the
>> power switch.
>
>Those liars!  I read in the paper the other day that they were having their
>motherboards for the PS series manufactured in Japan.

Actually, I thought that PS/2 motherboards were manufactured here in Austin.
If not, what are those big factories on the outskirts of town really doing?

Also, does anyone have the low-down on were the various components of the
machines are built, before being shipped to Boca Raton for final assembly?

Bill Douglass
ayac071@ngp.UUCP

omega@ut-ngp.UUCP (Omega.Mosley`) (09/12/87)

In article <6217@ut-ngp.UUCP>, ayac071@ut-ngp.UUCP (William T. Douglass) writes:

> Actually, I thought that PS/2 motherboards were manufactured here in Austin.
> If not, what are those big factories on the outskirts of town really doing?

...last I heard they wer still manufacturing sidcars for the PcJr. Apparantly
they oversold on that big closeout they had last year...

BTW: Hi IBM! I hear you can read the Net, but can't post. What a shame :+>

						OM

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (09/12/87)

As quoted from <5394@ihlpa.ATT.COM> by rs1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Sersted):
+---------------
| > Another thought.  I wonder about \2 ...
| 				^^^^^^^^^
| That won't work.  the "\" kills the special meaning of the "2".  Then IBM
| will only have part of a trademark.  However, "PS\\2", will work just fine
| because the first "\" kills the special meaning of the second "\".
+---------------

I wonder what this does to IBM's trademark, "APL\360"?			;-)
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (09/12/87)

As quoted from <4503@ncoast.UUCP> by allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery):
+---------------
| As quoted from <5394@ihlpa.ATT.COM> by rs1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Sersted):
| +---------------
| | > Another thought.  I wonder about \2 ...
| | 				^^^^^^^^^
| | That won't work.  the "\" kills the special meaning of the "2".  Then IBM
| | will only have part of a trademark.  However, "PS\\2", will work just fine
| | because the first "\" kills the special meaning of the second "\".
| +---------------
|
| I wonder what this does to IBM's trademark, "APL\360"?		;-)
+---------------

And another thought, while I'm on the subject:  am I violating IBM's copyright
on the trademark "APL\360" if I go into GnuMacs and type ``APL C-Q M-p''?  ;-)
--
	    Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc
  {{harvard,mit-eddie}!necntc,well!hoptoad,sun!mandrill!hal}!ncoast!allbery
ARPA: necntc!ncoast!allbery@harvard.harvard.edu  Fido: 157/502  MCI: BALLBERY
   <<ncoast Public Access UNIX: +1 216 781 6201 24hrs. 300/1200/2400 baud>>
All opinions in this message are random characters produced when my cat jumped
(-:		      up onto the keyboard of my PC.			   :-)

asgard@cpro.UUCP (09/13/87)

in article <850@sask.UUCP>, coleman@sask.UUCP (Geoff Coleman @ College of Engineering) says:
[...]
>> I wonder what Apple with have to say about the Apple II -- or is
>> that the "Apple Eye Eye"
> 	For some reason this reminds mean about a law suit that
> Apple launched a couple of years ago over the use of a garbage can
> (somehow appropriate for Apple) as an Icon by another company. As I
> recall they actually won that lawsuit (aren't lawyers wonderful).

Not correct.  The suit was about Digital Research's GEM Desktop version 1.1
and earlier.  It seemed that this highly innovative software product also used
some of the gadgets that looked like the Macintosh gadgets (like the trashcan
and the overlapping windows and the sliders and...).

Apple then filed suit claiming 'Look-and-Feel' violation.  This case never
went to trial.  Digital Research settled for an undisclosed sum and a rewrite
under the supervision of Apple to remove the offending code.  This, in my
opinion, seriously crippled the utility of GEM forever.  Fortunately CompuPro
still has their copy of 1.1 so at least I can get my fix if I feel like
inflicting icons on myself without the excessive pain of the damaged 'later'
versions.

The only reason DRI settled under these draconian terms was Apple had the cash
to wait it out and DRI did not.  If only they appealed to the community for
help/boycotts against these (perhaps immoral) Apple tactics (Apple had no
intention of supporting the icon interface on IBM compatibles, therefore they
really had no standing to speak of) then DRI would have had the visible sup-
port that would have shown this 'look-and-feel' nonsense for what it is.

Now the LAF beast is rearing its ugly head in other quarters too i.e. Lotus.

> When does something become non trade markable in the U.S.

I do not know.  My gut feeling is trademark is just a contractual arrangement
between a manufacturer and the buying public that is in force until the
manufacturer discontinues the product or the trademark is no longer protected
against infringement.  I should refer you to the Kimberly-Clarke 'Kleenex'
case for precedent.

> Geoff Coleman                         | BITNET: Coleman@sask
> College of Engineering                | UUCP: {utcsri,ihnp4}!sask!skul!geoff
> University of Saskatchewan            | Compserve: 76515,1513  just a number
> Saskatoon, Saskatchewan               | voice: (306) 966-5415

--
"To prevent having to tell fools to RTFM don't let on you WTFM to begin with."
J.R. Stoner	asgard@cpro.UUCP    asgard@wotan.UUCP

nomad@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU (09/14/87)

 A trademark is no longer a trademark when the name becomes "genneric"
for the product. Kleanex (sp?) is one example, (and I think Xerox is
another, but I won't swear to that one - please no flames).
   When everyone asks for something by a trademark name instead of the
more generic title (Kleanex as opposed to tissue or facil tissue,
saran wrap as opposed to plastic wrap, etc) then it is no longer
trademarkable (is that a word?).

  The trademark is registered with the U.S. Patent office and has certain
rights and priveledges associated with it - like no one else can use it
w/o permission of the holder of the trademark.

nomad
-------------------------
LEE DAMON		FidoNet: 152/201 (The Castle) - (503) 757-8841
nomad@cs.orst.edu	Internet:  nomad@cs.orst.edu
			UUCP :  {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!nomad

    "I've gone out and I don't think I'm expected back."

alexande@drivax.UUCP (09/15/87)

In article <358@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>.. would have shown this 'look-and-feel' nonsense for what it is.
>Now the LAF beast is rearing its ugly head in other quarters too i.e. Lotus.

Be warned that even the phrase "Look & Feel" is now trademarked by
a company called Oakland Group, Inc.  Check their ads in Dr. Dobbs
(e.g. August p. 63).  So now we can't even TALK about look-and-feel
lawsuits without getting sued :-)
--

dbercel@toto.uucp (Danielle Bercel, Systems Programming) (09/16/87)

In article <216700025@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> nomad@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU writes:

> A trademark is no longer a trademark when the name becomes "genneric"
>for the product. Kleanex (sp?) is one example, (and I think Xerox is
>another, but I won't swear to that one - please no flames).
>   When everyone asks for something by a trademark name instead of the

Xerox places a number of ads in writer magazines to remind us that
Xerox is a trademark and that when we say Xerox we should really say
copier, etc.

danielle

--
*********************** UUCP:  {hplabs,decwrl}!sun!toto!{danielle,dbercel}
* Toto, I don't think * ARPA:  dbercel@sun.arpa

kgdykes@orchid.waterloo.edu (Ken Dykes) (09/18/87)

In article <2388@drivax.UUCP> alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) writes:
>In article <358@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>>Now the LAF beast is rearing its ugly head in other quarters too i.e. Lotus.

Be careful. Honeywell-Bull might sue you!! :-) :-)
 The use the term LAF (long address format) for their level-6s for the last
billion years! Wouldnt it be sensible to assume they copyrighted it! :-) :-)

>Be warned that even the phrase "Look & Feel" is now trademarked by
>a company called Oakland Group, Inc.  Check their ads in Dr. Dobbs

*sigh*
  -ken
--
          - Ken Dykes,   Software Development Group, U.of.Waterloo
              kgdykes@watmath.uucp     kgdykes@water.bitnet