[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Turbo C linking Large models

forumexp@rpitsmts.UUCP (09/14/87)

      I've heard that Turbo C has problems linking large memory model
   code. Is this bug in all versions, or only the earliest releases,
   and how do I know if I'm affected.

       My TC does not have the infamous (floating-point division"
   error. Any other problems I should know about?

darrylo@hpsrlc.UUCP (09/17/87)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, forumexp@rpitsmts.CE.HP.COM writes:

>       I've heard that Turbo C has problems linking large memory model
>    code. Is this bug in all versions, or only the earliest releases,
>    and how do I know if I'm affected.
>
>        My TC does not have the infamous (floating-point division"
>    error. Any other problems I should know about?
> ----------

     The last I've heard about bugs in TC (and it's been a month or two since
I've checked into TC bugs), there is a bug involving TLINK and programs whose
code requires more than 64K.  Basically, TLINK has trouble linking programs
whose code space occupies more than 64K.  A workaround is to use the
Microsoft linker, LINK (note that, if you don't use the integrated
environment or TCC to compile/link your program, you will have to
explicitly tell the linker what Turbo C library files to use).

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

rjchen@phoenix.PRINCETON.EDU (Raymond Juimong Chen) (09/18/87)

Meanwhile,  Jim Liu (DEI) wrote:
> Apparantly, the problem occurs when linking ... large memory model programs
> using the emulator library (emu.lib).
> [followed by detailed explanation of why this error occurs and how to
>  fix it]

I have been using TLINK to link >300K programs (not C programs) with no
problems.  This appears to be consistent with Jim Liu's explanation of the
source of the error.  (In short, there's a bug in the library emu.lib.)
Also, if his explanation is correct, then using Microsoft LINK as an
attempted workaround will not alter things one bit, since you are still working
with the buggy emu.lib.

--
Raymond Chen, BITNET: (preferably) 6101695@pucc, rjchen@pucc
              ARPA: rjchen@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU