[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dedicated FFT processor board for IBM PCs

news@rpicsb8 (News Program) (09/16/87)

I am interested in building a dedicated 64K FFT board for an IBM-PC.
Unfortunately, I have no knowledge at all about the PC hardware, in
particular details about the bus. I would be grateful if somebody
could email to me:

     (1) A good reference for IBM PC; PC-AT hardware.
     (2) Whether anybody they know has built a FFT board.
     (3) Any advice/warning re: board design for IBM-PCs.

I do not normally read this newsgroup. I would therefore be grateful if
email is addressed to raok@csv.rpi.edu. I shall summarize, if there is
sufficient interest.
                 Kotesh Rao

finegan@uccba.UUCP (09/19/87)

In article <65@rpicsb8>, news@rpicsb8.UUCP writes:
> I am interested in building a dedicated 64K FFT board for an IBM-PC.
> Unfortunately, I have no knowledge at all about the PC hardware, in
> particular details about the bus. I would be grateful if somebody
> could email to me:
>
>      (2) Whether anybody they know has built a FFT board.
>      (3) Any advice/warning re: board design for IBM-PCs.

	What about the Texas Instruments TMS320 series IBM board?
	It might be a called a development kit. I believe it can do
	5 Million multiply and adds per second (or something equally
	outrageous), is a full featured DSP chip, and a K&R C compiler
	accepting inline assembler is available. I assume the price will
	be more than if you build it, but it would certainly be easier.
	AT&T also has a DSP chip with C-like instructions, but I
	don't know if there is a PC board.
					Mike Finegan
					...{hal|pyramid}!uccba!finegan