[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80X87 Clock Speed

peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) (09/19/87)

So this is my question.  Is the a engineer out there that could design
a daughter board so the people of the net could get the higher
clock rate out of our coprossesors.
ARPA: dpeter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu      USMAIL: Peter J. Diaz de Leon
      peter@uwm-cs.milw.wisc.edu             7411 W. Warnimont Ave.
					     Milwaukee, WI. 53220

UUCP: ihnp4!uwmcsd1!uwm-evax!peter   ICBM:   43 4 58 N / 87 55 52 W

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (09/19/87)

In article <2897@uwmcsd1.UUCP> peter@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:
>So this is my question.  Is the a engineer out there that could design
>a daughter board so the people of the net could get the higher
>clock rate out of our coprossesors.

It's already been done, at at least for AT's.  The product is called XCELX,
from Ariel Corp.  However, Ariel is weird.  They refused to send me specs,
and they wouldn't even talk to me until I told them I work for a big company.
They even treat their dealers weird.

The XCELX includes an optional 80287.  The 287 socket
has jumpers to select the 287's clock speed.

I bought mine from a really great dealer, who throws in his own utilities
for setting and checking speed, and setting up yout AT in general.  I think
the utilities are extra cost.

The dealer's name is Bob Brown, Landmark, at 408 733 4035.  Highly
recommended.

I'm just a satisfied customer ...

--
Philip Burton       burton@parcvax.COM   ...!hplabs!parcvax!burton
Xerox Corp.         preferred path: burton.osbunorth@xerox.COM

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (09/20/87)

MicroWay of Kingston MA sells a "287 turbo" board which fits in the
287 socket, running the 287 at 8 (or 10) mhz.  I have used it quite
successfully in a stock AT.  I have the card disconnected right now,
sans 287, and I would be very happy to part with it for some nominal
price.  Make me an offer.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu