[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT&T PCs

psc@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (09/19/87)

In article <135@splut.UUCP>, jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
> In article <297@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> > Now that it has been officially announced, check out the AT&T 6386
> > PC.  Super machine.  Will run DOS and/or UNIX (yes, that's an "and/or".  It
> > will run both simultaneously.)  It is a super machine.
>
> Yeah, but how compatible is it?
>
> Considering the list of things that won't work quite right on a 6300, I hope
> AT&T (Olivetti?) did a better job of engineering this time around. I've lost
> track of the things that wouldn't quite work on AT&Ts.

Like what?  In all the playing around with software that I've done on
my 6300 (not a Plus) at home, I've run into *one* problem with
compatibility.  (RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA couldn't initialize a floppy disk.
I brought the disks to the Program Store, and it formatted fine on
their clone.  From then on, no problems on the 6300; it could *write*
the floppy just fine.  A bit later, I found a fatal bug in the program,
but that one showed up in the store, too.)  I run many copy protected
and self-booting games just fine.  I've heard of programs that were
incompatible with the 6300 display, but I've never seen one.  On the
other hand, I run Smalltalk/V, Generic CADD, and PC Paintbrush, all of
which take advantage of the 640x400x2-color "super hi-res" mode, and
Windows looks nice, too.  And as Jerry Pournelle is so fond of pointing
out, 6300 color text is as good or *better* that EGA color text.

In all honesty, I've heard the 6300 Plus has a few more compatibility
problems, but I don't know any off hand.

As has been pointed out before, the 6300 Plus is an XT compatible with
a 286, and special hardware to run DOS under UNIX better.  It is *not*
an AT compatible.  (BTW, the IBM XT/286 *did* have an AT-compatible
bus.  It didn't have an AT-compatible chassis; too short for the boards
to fit!)

> I thought the 6300+ would run DOS and/or Unix?
> Jay Maynard, uucp: {hoptoad!academ!uhnix1}!splut!jay

It does, and quite well.  SimulTask(R) runs MS-DOS as a process under
UNIX System V Release 2.  I've even see Windows (640x400x16-colors,
with a DEB board) run under UNIX.  The 6386 will run *eight* MS-DOS
sessions under 386 UNIX System V (Release 3, I think).

-Paul S. R. Chisholm, UUCP {ihnp4,cbosgd,allegra,vax135,mtune}!lznv!psc
AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, Internet psc@lznv.att.com
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.

crs@cpsc6b.cpsc6a.att.com (C. R. Seaman) (09/21/87)

< > In article <297@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
< > > Now that it has been officially announced, check out the AT&T 6386
< > > PC. Super machine. Will run DOS and/or UNIX (yes, that's an "and/or". It
< > > will run both simultaneously.)  It is a super machine.
< >
<
< Like what?  In all the playing around with software that I've done on
< my 6300 (not a Plus) at home, I've run into *one* problem with
< compatibility. [...]
<
< -Paul S. R. Chisholm
< I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.

It sounds as if Jay has confused the problems of early 6300+ systems
with the 6300.  I have never (I don't buy many games) experienced any
compatibility problems on my 6300 (after almost 3 years), but I saw
the problems with the early 6300+'s.  Even those problems have been
corrected, but that's not the point.

The 6386 WGS is an INCREDIBLE machine.  It has features such as EGA *and*
VGA (the new PS/2 video system) support, as well as tremendous processor
speed, and support for more memory than the PS/2.

Couple that with the ability to run UNIX System V Release 3.1, OS/2, MS-DOS,
and who knows what else, and it becomes the most versatile "Personal
Workstation" available.

BTW - Like Paul, My opinions are just that... MINE!

--
Chris Seaman            |    o\  /o
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or> |      ||         See "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!