[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Northgate PC Keyboards

feg@clyde.UUCP (09/17/87)

PC Week has been carrying an ad by Northgate Computer Systems
in Plymouth, Minnesota for a "Click-Tactile" PC keyboard
they claim has the feel of an electric typewriter.
My PC came with a Keytronics 5150 which has the feel
of typing on fresh bread.
Has anyone experience with this company and their product?
Does the keyboard feel measure up to their claims?

Forrest Gehrke

dragon@oliveb.UUCP (Give me a quarter or I'll touch you) (09/18/87)

in article <13947@clyde.ATT.COM>, feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) says:

> PC Week has been carrying an ad by Northgate Computer Systems
> in Plymouth, Minnesota for a "Click-Tactile" PC keyboard
> they claim has the feel of an electric typewriter.
> My PC came with a Keytronics 5150 which has the feel
> of typing on fresh bread.
> Has anyone experience with this company and their product?
> Does the keyboard feel measure up to their claims?

> Forrest Gehrke

I'm alos interested in hearing about this keyboard, since I really *like*
the true blue keyboards (call me a masochist).  What's funny is they
mention in the ad that other clone brand keyboards (Keytronics, Maxiswitch,
BTC) _don't_ have the tactile feedback...  but the Maxiswitch I have does,
and I have seen numerous Keytronics that have also (along with numerous
Keytronics that don't).

Besides these, has anyone run into some other keyboards with a good tactile
feedback?  I'd also like to find one with an EXACT layout like that of the
IBM Enhanced keyboards... seems most manufacturers tend to juggle the keys
around and use the 'L' shaped enter key instead of the '-' shaped key like
IBM's.  Reason being I _hate_ moving to and from the PCs at home and work
when they all have different keyboard layouts.

--Dean

--
Dean Brunette               {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!dragon                                    {ucbvax,etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!dragon-oatc!dean
Olivetti Advanced Technology Center     _____   _____   __|__   _____

gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) (09/20/87)

In article <13947@clyde.ATT.COM> feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) writes:
>... for a "Click-Tactile" PC keyboard they claim has the feel of an
>electric typewriter.
>My PC came with a Keytronics 5150 which has the feel
>of typing on fresh bread.
>Has anyone experience with this company and their product?
>Does the keyboard feel measure up to their claims?
>
>Forrest Gehrke

I can't speak for their product, but perhaps you might be interested
in an upgrade kit we have available for most Keytronics keyboards.  It
allows you to modify the feel of the keys to be more like that of an
IBM keyboard.  Several different "feels" are available.

We also make available pre-modified keytronics keyboards, or will
modify your keyboard for you.

If you are interested, please contact me at the address below.

--
Greg Kemnitz              |   amdahl \
K and K Systems           |   ihnp4   !meccts!kksys!gk

dont@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Don Taylor) (09/22/87)

In article <13947@clyde.ATT.COM> feg@clyde.UUCP writes:
>PC Week has been carrying an ad by Northgate Computer Systems
>in Plymouth, Minnesota for a "Click-Tactile" PC keyboard
>they claim has the feel of an electric typewriter.
>My PC came with a Keytronics 5150 which has the feel
>of typing on fresh bread.
>Has anyone experience with this company and their product?
>Does the keyboard feel measure up to their claims?
>
>Forrest Gehrke

I received my Northgate keyboard yesterday!  I wanted to replace
my 'fresh bread' 101-key keyboard with an 84-key (old AT-style)
keyboard that had some tactile response.

Northgate mailed it off promptly, they have a 10-day return it if
you don't like it for any reason policy, a 30-day return if it is
incompatible policy, and a 1 year warranty.

So far, I like it a lot.  It is not quite as good as an IBM keyboard,
but it is a WHOLE lot better than any other clone keyboard that I have
used.  (I started out using ASR33's, so maybe I like more tactile
feedback than most).

Cosmetic problems:  the cord is a bit short, the 5-pin plug is so long that
I can't shut the little door on the front of my machine (an Epson) that
hides the plug from view, and the space between the function key pad and
the main key pad is too tight for the function key overlays that I have
(but never use anyway).

I feel that I got a good deal for my money.  My only problem now is
convincing Canada Customs not to charge me duty and taxes on the $250
at which they valued the keyboard!

Don Taylor.

(the usual disclaimers)

Don Taylor,
XIOS Systems Corporation,       ...seismo!uunet!mnetor!dciem!nrcaer!xios!dont
1600 Carling Avenue, Suite 150,
Ottawa, Ontario.
K1Z 8R8				      613-725-5411
Canada.