[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tandy 4000...

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <7871.1616.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Jonathan Leech (leech@unc.cs.unc.edu) writes:
>Entered: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill  17:11 Mon Sep 14/87
>Subject: Tandy 4000 80386 system
>

>    Tandy recently introduced their model 4000, a 16 MHz 80386
>machine.  The machine is very aggressively priced ($1899 without
>display or HD) from some of the discount houses, and PC Magazine's
>recent review was good.

I wonder:

What kind of memory it comes with (how much and what speed)?

What kind of BIOS?

how many wait states?

and, What kind of coprocessor sockets?
--
Mitchell Lerner
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

leech@unc.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (09/18/87)

Expires:

In article <1750@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>>Subject: Tandy 4000 80386 system
>What kind of memory it comes with (how much and what speed)?

    1 Mb/1 wait state. If the second Mb that fits on the motherboard
is added, supposedly it is interleaved and memory runs with 0 wait
states. There is also a 32-bit slot for a memory card.

>What kind of BIOS?

    I am trying to find out.

>and, What kind of coprocessor sockets?

    The sales rep tells me that the board is socketed for both the 287
and 387, but they only support the 287 right now. I have not actually
seen inside the machine yet. The PC Magazine review 2 weeks ago said
that early models supported the 287, later models the 387. I'll find
out about this, too.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)
    __@/

mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) (09/22/87)

In article <1320@unc.cs.unc.edu> leech@unc.UUCP (Jonathan Leech) writes:
>In article <1750@cadovax.UUCP> mitchell@cadovax.UUCP (Mitchell Lerner) writes:
>>>Subject: Tandy 4000 80386 system
>>What kind of memory it comes with (how much and what speed)?
>
>    1 Mb/1 wait state. If the second Mb that fits on the motherboard
>is added, supposedly it is interleaved and memory runs with 0 wait
>states. There is also a 32-bit slot for a memory card.

That is funny.

I just talked to a Radio Shack rep. and he said that it ran with 0 wait
states.  Oooooh how those salesmen lie!

>>What kind of BIOS?
>
>    I am trying to find out.

He said it has a Pheonix bios.

>>and, What kind of coprocessor sockets?
>
>    The sales rep tells me that the board is socketed for both the 287
>and 387, but they only support the 287 right now. I have not actually
>seen inside the machine yet. The PC Magazine review 2 weeks ago said
>that early models supported the 287, later models the 387. I'll find
>out about this, too.
>--
>    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)
>    __@/

He said somthing that I was suprised at.  I asked him what kind of HD controllers they sell with the 4000 (how much disk cache) and he said that he didn't
know but that they were 23ms disks (CDC).  He said that they were SCSI disks.
I've never heard of anybody putting SCSI disks on an AT class machine.  Will
that work?  Does it make sense???

- Mitchell

--
Mitchell Lerner
UUCP:  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!mitchell

"When I fight with my mind, my mind always wins" - Ben Hummel