[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ARC 386

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Rowan) (09/16/87)

     Hope this hasnt been covered over the summer, but
     does anyone have any experience with ARC's new 386?
     I know they have redone it, whether now they sell a cheapy
     and a decent model or what i have no clue.  I know they
     were (in may/june) offering dealers a barebones 386
     (no hd, but it did have an EGA card) for $2700.  This was
     a demo unit and each dealer could buy one.  Now they are
     offering a 386 with a meg and a 40meg (??brand??) for
     dealers demo at $2300.  I dont know what the retail
     equivilents are :-)

     thanks all.

Mike -- aja@i.cc.purdue.edu

davek@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Dave Kumpf) (09/17/87)

As far as I know they (ARC) are still using the Intel MB, which means, as I
discovered recently, that you will need a 128K board if you want 640K with
DOS.  (No, I don't have one.)  Most of the reviews I've seen of ARC stuff are
favorable.  If you get one, let me know what you think.

Dave Kumpf -- hpfcla|hplabs!hp-lsd!davek

jpp@slxsys.UUCP (John Pettitt) (09/18/87)

In article <2336@i.cc.purdue.edu> aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Rowan) writes:

>     Hope this hasnt been covered over the summer, but
>     does anyone have any experience with ARC's new 386?

I had an ARC 386 on the bench about 2 months back - it had the
Intel motherboard in it.   Have they got their own board out
yet ?

On a similar subject I have a Dell (PC Limited) running V.3/386
as a development system.  I recommend this system to anbody looking
at a 386 box - the 150 MB 16 ms ESDI drive is great !

Disclaimer:  The only connection I have with Dell (PC Limited) is
as a happy customer !

--
John Pettitt - G6KCQ, CIX jpettitt, Voice +44 1 398 9422, Discalimer applies !
UUCP:   {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!{ pyrltd || stc!datlog }!slxsys!jpp

keithe@tekgvs.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (09/23/87)

In article <8020009@hp-lsd.HP.COM> davek@hp-lsd.HP.COM (Dave Kumpf) writes:
>As far as I know they (ARC) are still using the Intel MB, which means, as I
>discovered recently, that you will need a 128K board if you want 640K with
>DOS.

We are in the process of evaluating QuarterDeck's QEMM for the '386.
It allegedly allows you to "borrow" 128k of the extended memory
(Intel's 2Meg MEM020 board, for example) and us it to fill in the
128k that is missing (I said "MISSING," Intel!*) from the
motherboard.

I'll let you know what happens with QEMM.

keith

* actually, the motherboard is "missing" 512k RAM... (by which
  I state my desire for a 1Meg motherboard) :-)