[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QuickC

bright@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (01/01/70)

In article <1909@ttrdc.UUCP> kad@ttrdc.UUCP (Keith Drescher) writes:
#In article <1569@killer.UUCP> richardh@killer.UUCP (Richard Hargrove) writes:
##And I'm looking forward to CODEVIEW as soon as I get it in my MASM 5.0 upgrade.
##Then I'll use it with Turbo C.
#My copy of Turbo C does not provide any of the information that
#codeview needs to perform symbolic debugging.  OK, TurboC will put
#line numbers in the object file so you can do a combined source/assembly
#listing, but as far as I can tell you can't access a variable by its
#symbolic name because TurboC doesn't generate that information.
#Maybe QuickC will be the answer to my needs.

Nobody besides Microsoft generates symbolic data for Codeview because
Microsoft regards the format as proprietary and won't tell anybody.

Has anybody actually gotten a copy of QuickC yet? I'm still
waiting for mine...

williams@vrdxhq.UUCP (Tim Williams) (09/04/87)

I saw an add in this weeks PC Mag. for QuickC from Microsoft.  It gives
a list of things it has and TurboC doesn't.  My question is what does
MSC 5.0 have that QuickC doesn't?

Tim Williams <:-0

fmayhar@killer.UUCP (Frank Mayhar) (09/06/87)

In article <4491@vrdxhq.UUCP>, williams@vrdxhq.UUCP (Tim Williams) writes:
> I saw an add in this weeks PC Mag. for QuickC from Microsoft.  It gives
> a list of things it has and TurboC doesn't.  My question is what does
> MSC 5.0 have that QuickC doesn't?
> Tim Williams <:-0

Not having the Microsoft product description right here (it's at work), I
can't provide too many details, but the difference is bascially that Quick C
is meant to be a small-scale programming environment like Turbo C (albeit
with extensions).  MSC 5.0, on the other hand, is a real, production-quality
optimizing C compiler with a very good standard library.  Quick C is meant for
quick program development and debugging.  MSC is meant for large programs, and
for production programs.

Incidentally, MSC 5.0 has some neat improvements over MSC 4.0, including a set
of graphics routines in the standard library, and in-line code generation for
certain commonly-used standard library functions (eliminates the procedure call
overhead).  It also has a little better optimization, and a few other bells and
whistles that I can't remember right off-hand.

--
Frank Mayhar        UUCP: ..!{ihnp4,dj3b1}!killer!fmayhar
                    ARPA: Frank-Mayhar%ladc@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (09/09/87)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, fmayhar@killer.UUCP (Frank Mayhar) writes:

> In article <4491@vrdxhq.UUCP>, williams@vrdxhq.UUCP (Tim Williams) writes:
> > I saw an add in this weeks PC Mag. for QuickC from Microsoft.  It gives
> > a list of things it has and TurboC doesn't.  My question is what does
> > MSC 5.0 have that QuickC doesn't?
> > Tim Williams <:-0
>
> Not having the Microsoft product description right here (it's at work), I
> can't provide too many details, but the difference is bascially that Quick C
> is meant to be a small-scale programming environment like Turbo C (albeit
> with extensions).  MSC 5.0, on the other hand, is a real, production-quality
     [ ... ]

> --
> Frank Mayhar        UUCP: ..!{ihnp4,dj3b1}!killer!fmayhar
>                     ARPA: Frank-Mayhar%ladc@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA
>                     USmail: 680 Grand Ave #201 Long Beach, CA 90814
>                     DeathStarNet: (213) 438-7899
> ----------

     I've also heard that Quick C is a MEDIUM-model ONLY compiler. YUK!

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

kcollinsthom@watmath.UUCP (09/10/87)

In article <3320052@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:

>     I've also heard that Quick C is a MEDIUM-model ONLY compiler. YUK!

From what "I've heard" Quick C includes an integrated environment
like TURBO C and a command line environment. Only the integrated
environment restricts you to the Medium memory model.

If it has less bugs than Turbo C it seems like it might be worth
throwing out Turbo C in favour of Quick C, although Borland
is supposed to bring out a new version of Turbo C *soon*.

kneller@cgl.ucsf.edu (Don Kneller) (09/11/87)

In article <3320052@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes
>In comp.sys.ibm.pc, fmayhar@killer.UUCP (Frank Mayhar) writes:
>> In article <4491@vrdxhq.UUCP>, williams@vrdxhq.UUCP (Tim Williams) writes:
>> > ... My question is what does MSC 5.0 have that QuickC doesn't? ...
>>
>> ... bascially that Quick C is meant to be a small-scale programming
>> environment like Turbo C (albeit with extensions).
>> MSC 5.0, on the other hand, is a real, production-quality ...
>>
>     I've also heard that Quick C is a MEDIUM-model ONLY compiler. YUK!

This is somewhat true.  Like Turbo, Microsoft gets much of their speed
by compiling and linking from memory into memory.  As such, the library
must be in memory with the compiler (and editor).  The library loaded
with the Quick C interactive environment (editor/compiler/linker in
one) is a medium model.  Hence you are restricted to medium model
programs from this environment.

It is possible to use the Quick C compiler from the command line with
the QCL driver, which is much like the CL driver currently used by MSC
4.0.  Then it is possible to use any model you wish.  However, you lose
the interactive environment.

I'm not really sure why it wouldn't have been possible to have separate
libraries that would load with the Quick C environment.  Clearly the
compiler part of Quick C can handle the other models.

Personally, I have no desire to use a WordStar-like editor, which the
QC editor is designed after.  For "one-off" programs that require
little work I have used the QC environment and it is fast!  For more
serious programming, I use QCL for relatively quick compilation and MSC
5.0 for production work.  BRIEF will remain my editor (it can
automatically position itself at compiler errors, among other neat
features).
-----
	Don Kneller
UUCP:		...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller
INTERNET:	kneller@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		kneller@ucsfcgl.BITNET

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (09/11/87)

In article <14563@watmath.waterloo.edu> kcollinsthom@watmath.waterloo.edu (Kevyn Collins-Thompson) writes:
>In article <3320052@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>>
>>     I've also heard that Quick C is a MEDIUM-model ONLY compiler. YUK!
>>
>If it has less bugs than Turbo C it seems like it might be worth
>throwing out Turbo C in favour of Quick C

It's *very* unlikely that Quick C will be less buggy than Turbo; Turbo
has what, maybe four known bugs?  Compare that to some of the stuff
Microsoft has put out, and I'll stick with Borland.  (I forget how
many known bugs were in a recent Microsoft Fortran release, but it
was a *three-digit* number!)

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (09/11/87)

I'm still waiting for my Microsoft C 5.0 and QuickC update to arrive.
Can anyone tell me if the QuickC editor handles brace matching?
The lack of that feature in Turbo C's editor irritates me to no end.

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Center for Teaching Excellence
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

richardh@killer.UUCP (Richard Hargrove) (09/16/87)

In article <3826@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, broehl@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Bernie Roehl) writes:
> In article <14563@watmath.waterloo.edu> kcollinsthom@watmath.waterloo.edu (Kevyn Collins-Thompson) writes:
> >In article <3320052@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
> >>
> >>     I've also heard that Quick C is a MEDIUM-model ONLY compiler. YUK!
> >>
> >If it has less bugs than Turbo C it seems like it might be worth
> >throwing out Turbo C in favour of Quick C
>
> It's *very* unlikely that Quick C will be less buggy than Turbo; Turbo
> has what, maybe four known bugs?  Compare that to some of the stuff
> Microsoft has put out, and I'll stick with Borland.

I'll stick with Borland also. They've gotten a bad rap for the bugs in
Turbo C 1.0 (how many bugs were in MASM 1.0 or MS C 2.0?). Though, I have no
idea when a new release is coming from Borland, I suspect they are going
to make sure it is well debugged.

A short story about compiler bugs: at work (Texas Instruments) we are
purchasing an Ada compiler targeted for the 1750A. It costs somewhere
between $1000 and $100000 (I don't know how much - I just know it's the
high-priced spread). I say purchasing it because: Guess what ? It's got
bugs! Amazing! Our software people are working very closely with Tartan
to find and fix them.

These programs are horrendously complex, involving literally thousands
of trade-offs, engineering decisions, and judgement calls. There will
be bugs! Live with them, work araound them, and wait for the next
release. Oh yes, bitch like hell to the vendor. That's the only way
you stand a chance of having them fixed. But don't throw out a fine product
because it has a few bugs!

Note that it's the middle of September and we're still wondering what
Quick C and MS C v5.0 are going to be like. Borland really turned up the
heat on Microsoft back in May. Given Microsoft's history of buggy products
(we use MS Pascal at work, v3.something or other; we still have modules
that we must compile with optimization turned off or otherwise we get
bad code generated) combined with the pressure of releasing something in
September, we have the potential for a real buggy set of products.

Borland has been very responsive to bug reports. We've gotten nothing but
grief from Microsoft.

Like I said, I'll stick with Borland.

regards,
richard hargrove
...!ihnp4!killer!richardh
-------------------------

peter@aucs.UUCP (09/17/87)

in article <1535@killer.UUCP>, richardh@killer.UUCP (Richard Hargrove) says:

> I'll stick with Borland also. They've gotten a bad rap for the bugs in
> Turbo C 1.0 (how many bugs were in MASM 1.0 or MS C 2.0?). Though, I have no
> idea when a new release is coming from Borland, I suspect they are going
> to make sure it is well debugged.
>
> regards,
> richard hargrove
> ...!ihnp4!killer!richardh
> -------------------------

I am currently working on a 8000 line Turbo C application and have experienced
only one obscure bug with memchr (which I solved by writing my own version).
The whole thing's been developed under the integrated environment without
any difficulty whatsoever, and I have both superkey and sidekick installed.
I am definitely going to stick with Borland...

Peter Steele  Acadia Univ.  Wolfville, N.S.  Canada  B0P 1X0  (902)542-2201x121
<<{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter.BITNET>>  <<Peter@Acadia.UUCP>>

aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Rowan) (09/17/87)

> I'll stick with Borland also. They've gotten a bad rap for the bugs in
> Turbo C 1.0 (how many bugs were in MASM 1.0 or MS C 2.0?). Though, I have no
> idea when a new release is coming from Borland, I suspect they are going
> to make sure it is well debugged.

    although more expensive, ill say one word.

	**CODEVIEW**

null@bsu-cs.UUCP (09/18/87)

In article <2347@i.cc.purdue.edu>, aja@i.cc.purdue.edu (Mike Rowan) writes:
> > I'll stick with Borland also. They've gotten a bad rap for the bugs in
> > Turbo C 1.0 (how many bugs were in MASM 1.0 or MS C 2.0?). Though, I have no
> > idea when a new release is coming from Borland, I suspect they are going
> > to make sure it is well debugged.
> >
>     although more expensive, ill say one word.
>
> 	**CODEVIEW**

  I'll add another....

**BIG DEAL**

--
----
Patrick Bennett     UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!null

kneller@cgl.ucsf.edu.UUCP (09/18/87)