[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EXE2BIN

fff@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Fred Freeland) (09/23/87)

A colleague of mine, who is working with the latest and greatest DOS (3.3),
has made the unfortunate discovery that EXE2BIN no longer a part of DOS.

Attempts to examine and patch previous releases of EXE2BIN have not been
successful.  The problem is clear; find something that converts EXE files to
COM files.  The solution is not so clear!

Does anyone out in netland know of public domain or shareware product that will
perform a comparable task ? Alternatively, and least desireable, does anyone
know of a patch to either the DOS 3.1 or 3.2 version of EXE2BIN that will allow
it to work with DOS 3.3.

Thanks in advance to any respondents.
--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.
FutureNet - A Division of DATA I/O            "Of all the things I've lost, I

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (09/23/87)

>A colleague of mine, who is working with the latest and greatest DOS (3.3),
>has made the unfortunate discovery that EXE2BIN no longer a part of DOS.
>Does anyone out in netland know of public domain or shareware product that will
>perform a comparable task?

Compuserve has a public domain equivalent called EXE2COM.  It is available
on the Borland TurboC Forum, and probably in one of the IBM Forums as well.

Sorry, I haven't got a copy:  I've had no reason to upgrade from DOS 3.1!
.
.

darrylo@hpsrlc.UUCP (09/23/87)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, fff@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Fred Freeland) writes:

   [ ... ]
> Does anyone out in netland know of public domain or shareware product that will
> perform a comparable task ? Alternatively, and least desireable, does anyone
> know of a patch to either the DOS 3.1 or 3.2 version of EXE2BIN that will allow
> it to work with DOS 3.3.
>
> Thanks in advance to any respondents.
> --
> Frederick F. Freeland Jr.
> FutureNet - A Division of DATA I/O            "Of all the things I've lost, I
> 10525 Willows Road                                miss my mind the most." -- ME
> Redmond, WA  98073-9746  (206) 881-6444 x586
> ----------

     I believe that there is a PD or shareware replacement for EXE2BIN in
the IBM Software forum on Compuserve.  I'm afraid that I don't have a copy
but, if I get enough requests, I'd be willing to download it and post it
here (with the author's permission).  I've been thinking about upgrading to
DOS 3.3, and so I'll need to get a copy eventually.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpcea!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

cy@ashtate.UUCP (09/23/87)

For some reason, EXE2BIN is packaged with the DOS 3.3 Tech. Reference
manual, rather than with DOS. Also included are DEBUG and LIB.EXE.

--Cy--      UUCP: ...seismo!scgvaxd!ashtate!cy

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (09/24/87)

Re: The demise of EXE2BIN

I generally never use EXE2BIN to get .COM files, but instead use something
called SpaceMaker (c) 1982 Realia Inc.

It has the amazing ability to convert ANY .EXE file into a .COM file.
Does anyone know if it works on DOS 3.2 or 3.3?  My DOS upgrades have
not gone beyond 3.1.

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580
---------------------

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (09/25/87)

In article <1372@dataio.Data-IO.COM>, fff@dataio.Data-IO.COM (Fred Freeland) writes:
> A colleague of mine, who is working with the latest and greatest DOS (3.3),
> has made the unfortunate discovery that EXE2BIN no longer a part of DOS.
>
> Attempts to examine and patch previous releases of EXE2BIN have not been
> successful.

He's right; it's not (gasp) there.  I just got a copy of 3.3 and decided to
boot it on my (Korean) PC Clone.  It doesn't boot; it dies The Death.  It
*will* boot and work on a Toshiba T3100, however.

What have they done to PC-DOS?  ...I'm sticking to 3.1.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (09/26/87)

Writer complains about missing EXE2BIN from DOS 3.3.  I believe it's
in the DOS Technical Reference Manual.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/26/87)

In article <3320056@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata)
writes:
>     I believe that there is a PD or shareware replacement for EXE2BIN in
>the IBM Software forum on Compuserve.

I don't know what CompuServe has, but I know that there is a program
called EXE2COM that has been on the BBSs for some YEARS now and refuses
to die.  It's a pirated copy of Realia's Spacemaker program and may
occasionally be found as SM.EXE also.

It's a good program and will convert many EXE format files to COM
format that EXE2BIN won't accept.  In other cases it will produce
smaller COM format programs than EXE2BIN will.

But it isn't public domain, so be careful.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (09/28/87)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

> In article <3320056@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata)
> writes:
> >     I believe that there is a PD or shareware replacement for EXE2BIN in
> >the IBM Software forum on Compuserve.
>
> I don't know what CompuServe has, but I know that there is a program
> called EXE2COM that has been on the BBSs for some YEARS now and refuses
> to die.  It's a pirated copy of Realia's Spacemaker program and may
> occasionally be found as SM.EXE also.
     [ ... ]
> But it isn't public domain, so be careful.
> --
> Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi
> ----------

     The program on Compuserve is indeed called exe2com; HOWEVER, this
version was written by Chris Dunford (one of the Sysops on the Compuserve
forum) and was placed in the public domain (no kidding -- it is not
shareware, freeware, send-me-$$$-ware :-).  It even comes with source in
(Lattice :-() C.  To date, I've had just one request for it, and so it looks
like I won't be posting it here.

kotlas@ecsvax.UUCP (Carolyn Kotlas) (09/28/87)

In article <1179@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In article <3320056@hpsrlc.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata)
> writes:
> >     I believe that there is a PD or shareware replacement for EXE2BIN in
> >the IBM Software forum on Compuserve.
>
> I don't know what CompuServe has, but I know that there is a program
> called EXE2COM that has been on the BBSs for some YEARS now and refuses
> to die.  It's a pirated copy of Realia's Spacemaker program and may
> occasionally be found as SM.EXE also.
>
> It's a good program and will convert many EXE format files to COM
> format that EXE2BIN won't accept.  In other cases it will produce
> smaller COM format programs than EXE2BIN will.
>
> But it isn't public domain, so be careful.
> --
> Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

I have a copy of EXE2COM, ver. 1.00 which I recently acquired, and I
wonder if it's the same program mentioned in Dhesi's warning.  There
is no mention of Realia in the documentation or program file.  Here's
what I've found in the documentation regarding authorship and copyright status:
__________
 			         EXE2COM 1.00
                         By Chris Dunford/Cove Software

        Public domain
        -------------
        EXE2COM is hereby donated by the author to the public domain.
        The program should not be sold at any cost by any for-profit
        organization.

        Author: Christopher J. Dunford
                The Cove Software Group
                PO Box 1072
                Columbia, MD 21044
                (301) 992-9371
                CompuServe 76703,2002
__________
Can anyone confirm that these are indeed two separate programs??
--
Carolyn Kotlas    (kotlas@ecsvax)
UNC-Educational Computing Service   P. O. Box 12035      2 Davis Drive

swh@hpsmtc1.UUCP (09/29/87)

Re: What is EXE2COM.EXE

The EXE2COM recently distributed on the net, and the one belonging to Cove
Software, and the Realia SM.EXE are THREE(3) separate products.

I don't have any experience with the Cove model, but the net one will NOT
convert any EXE file as would the Realia product.

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580
---------------------

dick@plx.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (09/29/87)

Expires:

In article <11470013@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>Re: The demise of EXE2BIN
>
>I generally never use EXE2BIN to get .COM files, but instead use something
>called SpaceMaker (c) 1982 Realia Inc.

I, too, used to be a true believer in Realia's SpaceMaker until I ran into
a bug which they admitted to and told me had been fixed in their current
release.  When I asked what it would cost me to upgrade to the current
release, they told me they didn't bother with upgrades to "inexpensive"
($75) products like SpaceMaker and I would just have to buy another full-
priced copy.

You know, between EXE2BIN and EXEPACK, I haven't missed those turkeys
a bit!  Someday maybe they will realize that if they piss off their $75-
product customers, those customers will never buy their >$75 products
(as I have made it a point never to do since)!

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                          I'll take a drug test when
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!sun!plx!dick                Reagan takes an IQ test.