[comp.sys.ibm.pc] adding 1.2MB drive to PC/XT-help!

dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) (09/25/87)

I have asked a local computer store if it is possible to add a 1.2 MB
floppy drive to an IBM PC/XT (actually, it's an IBM PC Portable, which
has the XT motherboard).  After about a month they tell me this is not
possible.  I'm aware that I'll have to get a different controller card,
but surely there is a 1.2MB floppy controller for the PC bus.  Does
anyone have a high density floppy in an XT, and if so can you recommend a
controller?

Dan Davison       Arpa: dd@lanl.gov           BITNET: dd%lanl.gov@wiscvm.bitnet
CIS: 74065,41     UUCP: dd@lanl.uucp or ...cmcl2!lanl!dd
Voice:505-665-1355| T-10 MS K710, Los Alamos Natl. Lab, Los Alamos,NM 87545

agnew@trwrc.UUCP (R.A. Agnew) (09/30/87)

In article <10494@beta.UUCP> dd@beta.UUCP (Dan Davison) writes:
>I have asked a local computer store if it is possible to add a 1.2 MB
>floppy drive to an IBM PC/XT (actually, it's an IBM PC Portable, which
>has the XT motherboard).  After about a month they tell me this is not
>possible.  I'm aware that I'll have to get a different controller card,
>but surely there is a 1.2MB floppy controller for the PC bus.  Does
>anyone have a high density floppy in an XT, and if so can you recommend a
>controller?

Nope! You don't have to get a new controller!
Weltec in Irvine makes a real nice 1.2M that just plugs in to your
existing controller for about $139. I use mine a lot.