[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 6300 bugs?

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (09/13/87)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc article <135@splut.UUCP> jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:

>Considering the list of things that won't work quite right on a 6300, I hope
>AT&T (Olivetti?) did a better job of engineering this time around. I've lost
>track of the things that wouldn't quite work on AT&Ts.

You know, I've heard this kind of thing before, and in the two+ years that
I've had my 6300, the only thing that didn't "work quite right" is a back
scroller that works just fine on my machine, but mysteriously malfunctions
on true blues and other clones.

Could someone supply a list of the troubles I am supposed to be having?

BTW, I am not a one application user.  I do many things on this machine,
including applications development.  Further, I am most pleased with the
performance of this machine, except, of course, that it uses a toy OS (:-)!

Michael Kesti		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (09/24/87)

In article <862@sask.UUCP>, coleman@sask.UUCP (Geoff Coleman @ College of Engineering) writes:
> 	Me too please! I run a microcomputer lab for the College of
> Engineering here and we have 22 AT&T 6300s and have not found one program
> that won't run on them. We use software that ranges in quality from ACAD
> to softwre programs written by Profs in Basic for their classes use.
> 	I would settle for the name of one program that will run on one or
> more IBM compatibles and won't run on the AT&T 6300. For that matter I'll
> settle for a commercial package that will run on an IBM (not marketed by IBM
> because they check machine ID) and not on a 6300.

Maybe the stock system setup is 100% compatible (I'm not saying this
but I can't think of any software that I have ever heard of that
doesn't work on the stock AT&T PC 6300).  But, just try to add an
EGA card!  I know this is a pain.  There are certain problems with the
way the EGA memory is handled, etc.  In this respect, it is not a 100%
compatible.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (gopal) (09/25/87)

In article <1409@homxc.UUCP>, rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
> > 	I would settle for the name of one program that will run on one or
> > more IBM compatibles and won't run on the AT&T 6300. For that matter I'll
> > settle for a commercial package that will run on an IBM (not marketed by IBM
> > because they check machine ID) and not on a 6300.
> Maybe the stock system setup is 100% compatible (I'm not saying this
> but I can't think of any software that I have ever heard of that
> doesn't work on the stock AT&T PC 6300).  But, just try to add an
> EGA card!  I know this is a pain.  There are certain problems with the
> way the EGA memory is handled, etc.  In this respect, it is not a 100%
> compatible.

Sure, it is not a 100% compatible - that is because it is better.  The problem
with adding an EGA card etc. is due to the fact that the the 6300 comes with
a built-in video display board (on the orig. IBM PC, you had to add a card !) -
naturally, when you want to disable something that is built-in, it may not
always be easy.  You buy a 6300 and you don't have to worry about buying,
and installing a video card - both involve time and money - same thing goes
for the built-in parallel and serial ports.  A user that buys a 6300 can
usually gets the final system he/she wants - can run most of the software he/she
wants to run right off the bat!

The compatibility you are talking about is perhaps better described by the
words "mirror image".

AT&T sells a video bridge adapter and also a spider chip so that you may
install third-party video boards - and as far as I know, the latest ROM BIOS
supports EGA.  I don't know what problems you have had in trying to install
an EGA card - but on my 6300 plus, I have an EGA card running and have had
absolutely no problems with it!

And have you noticed that you don't have to pay extra bucks to get a high
resolution graphics mode (640x400) which, I find, most of the major packages
have support for!

Think again.

Venu P. Gopal
ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611

In article <299@octopus.UUCP>, pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) writes:
> The 6300/6300+ do not have completely compatible BUSES. Thus, not all
> boards are compatible. An esoteric example is that my Periscope III debugger
> board will not work. (Which is why I hope that it isn't really my program's

How many clones does this debugger work on ?

Venu P. Gopal
ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611

E8D@PSUVM.BITNET (09/25/87)

"SHAPE  A computer program for Drawing Crystals Copyright (C) 1986
by Eric Dowty is a nice package that runs fine on an AT but bombs
on exit on my 6300 forcing me to use the reset button.  Also, the aspect
ratio for the graphs is off on my ATT.  This is a FORTRAN 77 program with
I believe, some assembly language plotting routines compiled under
MS FORTRAN 3.13.  I haven't tried recompileing with a real FORTRAN
(he supplies the source!) since I of course only use it
on "one computer at a time".
     Yes it still doesn't work with my new 1.43 BIOS.

-------
Disclaimer: Sorry about the spelling.

  Evan Dresel
  Dept. of Geochemistry                             E8D @ PSUVM (bitnet)
  228 Deike Bldg.               ...!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!e8d (uucp <-->
  Penn State University                                 bitnet gateway)
  University Park, PA  16802        e8d%psuvm.bitnet@wiscvm.arpa  (arpa)
  (814) 863-0672

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (09/26/87)

In article <2150@ihuxy.ATT.COM>, vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (gopal) writes:
> > Maybe the stock system setup is 100% compatible (I'm not saying this
> > but I can't think of any software that I have ever heard of that
> > doesn't work on the stock AT&T PC 6300).  But, just try to add an
> > EGA card!  I know this is a pain.  There are certain problems with the
> > way the EGA memory is handled, etc.  In this respect, it is not a 100%
> > compatible.
>
> Sure, it is not a 100% compatible - that is because it is better.  The problem
> with adding an EGA card etc. is due to the fact that the the 6300 comes with
> a built-in video display board (on the orig. IBM PC, you had to add a card !)
> The compatibility you are talking about is perhaps better described by the
> words "mirror image".
>
> AT&T sells a video bridge adapter and also a spider chip so that you may
> install third-party video boards - and as far as I know, the latest ROM BIOS
> supports EGA.  I don't know what problems you have had in trying to install
> an EGA card - but on my 6300 plus, I have an EGA card running and have had
> absolutely no problems with it!
>
> Think again.
>
> Venu P. Gopal
> ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611

The 6300 and 6300 Plus are very different animals, or fruit if you want
to talk apples and oranges.  They learned from the 6300 that it was a
good idea to make it possible to put a different video adapter in the
computer.  I don't have any direct experience, but I have heard that
is not possible to put one in the early 6300s.  In the recent ones
you still have to go through the replacement of a chip and I don't
think it is 100% compatible even after that.  If done right it should
be either DIP switch controlable or you should be able to pull out
the card that comes with the machine.  There are few reasons why
the IDB can't be easily removable (the only one I can think of is
the power for the monochrome monitor, which was a stupid idea anyway).

With the Plus, *assuming you have the 2.05A ROM/PAL upgrade*, it is
supposed to be fairly straight forward to switch cards and actually
100% compatible, sort of.

I do agree, that if you will never need EGA, and many users don't,
the 6300 package is a good one.  The legible text, extra Hi-res mode
and 100% compatible CGA mode are a good combination.  If you do need
EGA, you are probably better off with a 6310, 6312, 6386 or a
compatible.  The 6300/6300+ is not your machine.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (09/28/87)

<< Re: stuff about an EGA card being a pain to run in the AT&T
6300 >>

Well, I'm writing this from an AT&T 6300 running with an EGA card.
I didn't think "ugrading" to an EGA was too awful.

First, old versions of the 6300's BIOS did not test for the
presence of the EGA BIOS.  Anybody remember the old IBM XT's made
before March, 1982? They couldn't use EGAs either.  AT&T isn't the
only company that has improved its BIOS over the years.

Update your 6300 by calling 1-800-222-PART.  Just ask for the
version 1.43 BIOS chip set.  They'll know what you want, so you
don't even have to scrounge for the infamous AT&T com item number!!
They'll accept Visa/MC and ship it to you within 7 days.  The cost
is aobut $35.00 US.  The kit includes two ROMs and a PAL chip.  It
takes about 10 minutes to install the chips.  The instruction
manual is pretty clear about what to do.

If you are just updating the BIOS, you don't need to change any of
the dip switch settings.  The PAL chip fixes a bug related to
putting out the bytes of a 16-bit OUT instruction in reverse order.
Since the 6300 was actually desinged before the AT hit the market,
AT&T just happened to pick the opposite order of IBM for 16 bit
OUTs.  AT&T has become IBM compatible as of v 1.43.  Note that some
EGA cards use 16 bit OUTs (eventhough designed for an 8 bit buss)
when they shouldn't.  They intend for the unneeded 8 bits to fall
off into never-never land.  Unfortunately, old 6300s kept the
garbage and threw away the real data.

--

While you have the bottom cover off, try substituting a NEC V-30
vor the original 8086-2 CPU.  Integer mults are performed in 1/2

--

If you are installing an EGA card.  You might want to consider
getting the STB Co. "Multires EGA".  You should be able to find it

If you don't have an "investment" in an AT&T color monitor.  You
should be able to use most any EGA card and EGA monitor.

--

There are two methods for shutting of indigenous video on the 6300,
which you must do to enable an EGA card.  If you have a relatively

On older machines, a 74LS00 IC must be pulled from its socket and a
header installed.  These boards are indentified as P4.  The
offending 74LS00 is in a socket near the bottom of the board right
above where the thick red&black wires attach to the buss adapter.
On some particularly ancient 6300s, the 74LS00 might be soldered in
(ugh!!).

The header to install in place of the 74LS00 is as follows:
jumper pin 3 to pin 14
jumper pin 6 to pin 7 to pin 8.
leave every other pin unconnected.

(The above info on making the header comes from Mike Slifcak of
Olivetti ATC.)

Neither Mike nor I can take responsibility if you burn up your
computer trying this.  If you have any reservations about your
abilities, by all means, get somebody that knows about electronics
to assist you.

--

I really like my 6300.  It is still my favorite MS-DOS (gurgh!)
machine.  Unfortunately, AT&T / Olivetti / Xeorx were just a bit

--Bill

Bill Mayhew
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)

broehl@watdcsu.UUCP (09/29/87)

In article <2150@ihuxy.ATT.COM> vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (gopal) writes:

>Sure, it is not a 100% compatible - that is because it is better.

Really?  We have half a dozen of them, and we wish we'd bought PC-compatibles
instead.

>The problem
>with adding an EGA card etc. is due to the fact that the the 6300 comes with
>a built-in video display board (on the orig. IBM PC, you had to add a card !) -
Being able to add any of a variety of video cards is really very handy; one
of the major mistakes IBM has made on the new PS/2 series machines is having
the video resident on the motherboard (the same mistake that AT&T made with
the 6300).  At least with the PS/2's, it's pretty straightforward to disable
that circuitry (though having to pay more for something you don't use is
annoying).

>naturally, when you want to disable something that is built-in, it may not
>always be easy.

It ought to be.  It is on the PS/2 series.

>You buy a 6300 and you don't have to worry about buying,
>and installing a video card

For all the users out there who are using PC-compatibles, this has been no
great hardship.  For those who have AT&T 6300's, the problems can be far
greater.

>A user that buys a 6300 can
>usually gets the final system he/she wants - can run most of the software...
 ^^^^^^^                                              ^^^^

It's not unreasonable for users to get what they want when they buy a
system.  All the time, not "usually".  A system that runs the software
that's available... all of it, not "most" of it.

>The compatibility you are talking about is perhaps better described by the
>words "mirror image".

No, when the original poster speaks of "compatibility" he means exactly
that.  And so do I.  A machine that is compatible with software and
hardware designed for the IBM-PC architecture.  If people didn't care
about compatability, they would have bought something else entirely;
an Amiga or an ST or a Mac or whatever.  They bought the 6300 at least
in part because it pretends to be a PC-compatible machine.

>AT&T sells a video bridge adapter and also a spider chip so that you may
>install third-party video boards

Which is an additional expense, a nuisance, and far more complicated than
simply installing a video board the way you would with a true compatible.

>Think again.

If they'd thought in the first place, they may not have bought the 6300.

(In all fairness, there are other machines that have undocumented
incompatabilities.  We just recently bought 10 Packard-Bells, and have
had problems with the DMA on them, as well as with the video.  Nice
machines, good price, but it took a *lot* of fiddling to get some of the
stuff we've got to work right).

>Venu P. Gopal
>ihnp4!ihuxy!vg55611

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (09/30/87)

Speaking of EGA:
    There is now a new board out from AT&T that is supposed to replace
the indigenous video card and provide both standard AT&T graphics
(including 640x400 mono) and EGA graphics.  The only information I have
on it is that it is supposed to have been just announced.  I recieved
the information from a reliable source at a local AT&T computer dealer.
My source is currently trying to find out more details including price
and availablity.  I will post these when I find them out.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm