[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Has anybody dealt with Eltech

czhj@vax1.UUCP (09/30/87)

I've gotten pricing info an various 386 machines from Eltech Research Inc. and
would like any information people could give me about this company before I give
them my money.

The machines that they sell are put together from other's pieces, as many
manufacturers do.  They sell 5 different 386 machines (which they say they can
ship in 2 days).  The one that caught my eye was a 20mhz machine using static
column RAM, and rates 25.9 on the Norton index (popular measure among PC'ers).
In any case, this machine uses a 'baby 386 board', can take 2 meg on board and
has 6-16 bit slots, 1-8 bit slot and a 32-bit slot for memory.  Price, to
dealers in single quantity is $2230 (comes with nothing but case and power
supply).

If anybody can tell me anything about this company or this machine, please
reply.

Thanks... Ted Inoue

chris@bingvaxu.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <482@vax1.UUCP>, czhj@vax1.UUCP (Ted Inoue) writes:

> I've gotten pricing info an various 386 machines from Eltech Research Inc. and
> would like any information people could give me about this company before I give
> them my money.

I've dealt with them - I purchased my xt-clone from them last June - and
have been very pleased with everything about them.  The 2 day lag comes
about because they do a 48 hour "burn-in" on all systems before
shipping.  I ended buying my PC, monographics card & mono monitor from
them because the salesman gave me excellent prices (especially for the
monitor & mono card), was quite knowledgeable and courteous.  After
receiving the system I wanted to put a IBM 5.25 drive in the system &
couldn't get it working I ended up calling their tech support people who
actually helped me find the problem (which is a rare event nowadays).  I
think ElTech is an umbrella company for Everex - which is pretty sound
financially.  You may want to ask the salesperson there for references.
  Though I can't vouch for their 286 or 386 systems - I will give them
high marks for the XT clones & professionalism.

-Chris Peck, SUNY Binghamton, NY

tr@wind.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <482@vax1.UUCP>, czhj@vax1.UUCP (Ted Inoue) asks about
Eltech Research.

In article <729@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>
chris@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Chris Peck) responds by saying
that their XT products and technical support have been quite good
for him.

I bought an AT clone from them in November 1986.  It seems well made
and has performed flawlessly.  I have put in various boards with no
problems.  I was sort of expecting something of inferior physical
construction but in fact it is quite good.

They are helpful and do try to offer the lowest prices.  I suspect
that if you tell them that someone is underselling them, they might
try to match the price.

I recommend this company.

And I don't think they are an umbrella company for Everex as Chris
does.  I suspect that they just sell a lot of Everex stuff, packaged
under either their name or the name AT Plus, which Everex, in their
latest ads, claims to be their name.

Name:		Tom Reingold
Disclaimer:	Nothing I say is an opinion.
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP: 		<backbone>!bellcore!tr

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <482@vax1.UUCP> czhj@vax1.UUCP (Ted Inoue) writes:

>I've gotten pricing info an various 386 machines from Eltech Research Inc. and
>would like any information people could give me about this company before I give
>them my money.
>

>If anybody can tell me anything about this company or this machine, please
>reply.

I see to it that we (my department) buys virtually *everything*
substantial related to PC's from Eltech Research. From parts and pieces
(cabinets, keyboards, power supplies) to peripherals (displays, modems,
etc) to complete systems (we've bought 286 AT Clones and we're
considering buying 386 AT's (for in-house use, not resale - just in
case any legal beagles are listening in :-) from them). I've found no
reason to even buy local what with the service we get from them. Of
course, calling up and saying "Hi, this is Keith at Tektronix; can I
talk to Angie" probably carries a little extra clout with it but I'd
bw very surprised* if the "little guy" (that is, personal purchaser)
doesn't get the same service I do.

And you can tell anybody I said so...

* let me know personally if you disagree with this statement - if
  you've not been treated "properly" where _you_ define "properly."
  Use my address at in the signature.

keith

PS - I'm just a satisfied customer with no financial interest
     (unfortunately) in what I find to be an outstanding vendor.

Keith Ericson  at TekLabs (resident factious factotum)
Tektronix, PO 500, MS 58-383         Beaverton OR 97077        (503)627-6042
uucp: [ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4|hplabs|(and_many_others)]!tektronix!tekgvs!keithe
CSnet: keithe%tekgvs@tektronix  ARPAnet: keithe%tekgvs%tektronix@csnet-relay

"Modern" version: keithe@tekgvs.tek.com