[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Adding 3 1/2" drive to IBM AT

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (09/18/87)

I currently own an 'old' IBM AT (del 8/84 as 6Mhz machine) which is equipped
with a Seagate 4051 HD and TWO 5 1/4"-1.2M floppy drives.  For reasons I
won't go into here, I need to add 3 1/2" drive capability w/o removing
either of the 5 1/4" drives.  My thoughts run toward an A/B switch
on the3 drive cable, such that in one psitiom I have A= 5 1/4" and in
the other A= 3 1/2".

Any thoughts, ideas, sources for 34 line A/B switches, etc. would be greatly
appreciated.

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Whippany, NJ 07981
email:whuts!2212msr
voice:201-386-6865

burton@parcvax.UUCP (09/19/87)

In article <2889@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>I currently own an 'old' IBM AT (del 8/84 as 6Mhz machine) which is equipped
>with a Seagate 4051 HD and TWO 5 1/4"-1.2M floppy drives.  For reasons I
>won't go into here, I need to add 3 1/2" drive capability w/o removing
>either of the 5 1/4" drives.  My thoughts run toward an A/B switch
>on the3 drive cable, such that in one psitiom I have A= 5 1/4" and in
>the other A= 3 1/2".
>
>Any thoughts, ideas, sources for 34 line A/B switches, etc. would be greatly
>appreciated

A salesman from a tape drive company told me that Tecmar (sp?) in the greater
Cleveland area makes some sort of adapter card that might address your need.

As a possible alternative to using the standard AT floppy-rigid controller,
you might consider using an SCSI adapter arrangement.  It might have a higher
initial cost but you could, if you got the right adapter (say Western
Digital or Adaptec), probably support other devices, notably tape.

Another issue to consider is mounting the new floppy.  Lots of companies will
sell you an external box, but that just adds cost and requires bulky cables
to meet FCC Class B requirements. (And, you don't want to violate those
rules, do you -) ).  An external box just adds clutter.  Much nicer to get
all the drives inside the main box.

I've seen ads for AT-compatibles that show a case with all three right side
drive slots available, not just the two that IBM has allowed us.  Some of
these cases appear to be the exact same size as IBM's.

If any net reader has an AT-clone with three available drive slots available,
please post the name of the clone maker, or the cabinet maker, if possible.

--
Philip Burton       burton@parcvax.COM   ...!hplabs!parcvax!burton
Xerox Corp.         preferred path: burton.osbunorth@xerox.COM

gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) (09/21/87)

<
<Any thoughts, ideas, sources for 34 line A/B switches, etc. would be greatly
<appreciated.
<
<Max S. Robin
<AT&T Bell Laboratories
<Whippany, NJ 07981
<email:whuts!2212msr
<voice:201-386-6865

We sell a A/B switch which should do what you need -- HOWEVER, I would
like to suggest another approach.  We have set up several systems with
third floppy drives mounted externally, connected via an adapter which
allows the use of four drives simultaneously.  The adapter will allow
drives 3 and 4 to be either internal or external, and is supported by
the driver included in DOS 3.2.

If you would like any additional information, please contact me at the
address or phone number below.

--
Greg Kemnitz              |   amdahl \
K and K Systems           |   ihnp4   !meccts!kksys!gk

In article <518@parcvax.Xerox.COM> burton@parcvax.xerox.com.UUCP (Philip M. Burton) writes:
>I've seen ads for AT-compatibles that show a case with all three right side
>drive slots available, not just the two that IBM has allowed us.  Some of
>these cases appear to be the exact same size as IBM's.
>
>If any net reader has an AT-clone with three available drive slots available,
>please post the name of the clone maker, or the cabinet maker, if possible.
>
>Philip Burton       burton@parcvax.COM   ...!hplabs!parcvax!burton
>Xerox Corp.         preferred path: burton.osbunorth@xerox.COM
>408 737 4635   ... usual disclaimers apply ...

We sell two different clones which you may be interested in... one has
three slots on the right -- It is made by Laser Digital.  The other
has *four* slots -- two on right, and two more just to the left.  It
is made by Indtech (I'm using one now - 10/0 running Microport UNIX).
Both systems use cases which visually appear to be the same size as an
IBM box (I have not measured them to be sure there is not a *small*
difference in case size).

If you need any other info, I can be contacted at the address or
telephone number below.

--

sytek@tekgen.TEK.COM (Mike Ewan) (09/21/87)

In article <518@parcvax.Xerox.COM> burton@parcvax.xerox.com.UUCP (Philip M. Burton) writes:
>In article <2889@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>
>If any net reader has an AT-clone with three available drive slots available,
>please post the name of the clone maker, or the cabinet maker, if possible.

I have an AST Premium 286 which has internal mounts for 1 full hight or two
half hight fixed disks and mountings for three half hight floppies or the one
floppy and more fixed disks.  This machine is approx. the same size of a true
blue" AT but has the expanded floppy mounting.  The only drawback is the price.
A fully configured unit runs about 3500 locally, but is well worth it, even
though the off-shore clones are cheaper.

Mike Ewan
Tektronix Inc.

{Opinions herein the sole property of the author.  No unauthorized
duplication without express written consent. }
Sorry couldn't pass up a little pomposity.

lawriel@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (09/22/87)

My recent acquisition of an IBM 3.5" external drive came complete
with a cable that split at drive A and with a driver that allows
the system to know that there is another drive.  No additions to
the controller were needed.

Linda Lawrie
lawriel@uiucuxc

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (09/30/87)

We have been experiencing grave problems with installing
Toshiba ND352 & 354 3 1/2" drives in our IBM AT's.  Toshiba
and IBM were no help in finding a solution.  The drives
appear to read and write successfully but will not format
correctly.  The kits work fine in XT's and clones, but the
AT kit is worthless.

Bill Wilson

bmh@siemens.UUCP (10/02/87)

Does anyone have experience with the Matchmaker, a card for a PC which allows
the user to attach a Mac disk drive and read/write Mac files with the PC?  The
company is Microsolutions Computer Products of DeKalb, Illinois.  The card is
priced at $195 and looks like a low cost solution for transferring Word files
from a Mac to a PC and vice versa.

I can be reached for voice communication at:
    609-734-3384
or U.S. mail at:
    105 College Rd E
    Princeton, N.J. 08540