[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 80286's and Apple Imagewriter's

bagpiper@oxy.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <8000018@uiucdcsm> reed@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu:

>This problem is either really simple (implying I'm dumb - highly likely)
>or its hard (which I doubt).  I'm trying to connect an Apple Imagewriter II
>to an IBM PS/2 Model 80.  Because the Imagewriter II is a serial printer,
>I dutifully connected an Apple IIe 8pin <-> RS-232 DB25 cable to the printer
>and the serial port of the PC.  This is the cable used to connect a IIe to
>an ImagewriterII.  I then incanted
>
>                mode com1:9600,n,8,1,p
>                mode lpt1:=com1
>
>and tried to print.  Print reports that the printer is offline.  Now
>either I've cabled it incorrectly, or I'm forgetting some command sequence.
>By the way, the ImagewriterII DIP switches are still at the factory settings.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Daniel Reed
>Department of Computer Science
>University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>
>USENET:         ...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!reed
>Internet:       reed@a.cs.uiuc.edu

This sounds a lot like a problem that has been plagueing us for a while.  We
can get true blue PC's (8088's) to talk to ImageWriter's, but not to PC AT
Clones (80286's).  If anybody has any info on this topic, I would be grateful
if you could relate them to me and I would guess that the info would also be
appreciated by other people on the net.

Michael Hunter         UUCP  : ....{seismo, rutgers, ames}!cit-vax!oxy!bagpiper
Box 241                ARPA  : oxy!bagpiper@csvax.caltech.edu
Occidental College     BITNET: oxy!bagpiper@hamlet.bitnet
Los Angeles, CA 90041  CSNET : oxy!bagpiper%csvax.caltech.edu@relay.cs.net

rob@uokmax.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <000001@oxy.uucp> bagpiper@oxy.UUCP writes:
>In article <8000018@uiucdcsm> reed@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu:
>>I dutifully connected an Apple IIe 8pin <-> RS-232 DB25 cable to the printer
>>and the serial port of the PC.  This is the cable used to connect a IIe to

>can get true blue PC's (8088's) to talk to ImageWriter's, but not to PC AT
>Clones (80286's).  If anybody has any info on this topic, I would be grateful

We had a problem similar to this when trying to connect PC clones to Encore
annexes on our LAN. It turns out that the pinouts on one clone very seldom
match the pinouts on any other clone OR on a "real" IBM PC. Therefore,
"standard" cables almost never work. The only thing you can do is check the
pinouts and then make up your own cable.

--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (10/05/87)

Just  short note about using Imagewriters with PC's.  PC firmware
requires the use of DTR and other serial lines fo r effective
communication.  Note that the IW2 cable does *not* have DTR wired.

Remember folks, if you're having problems with a serial device, nine
times out of 10 it's the cable.  You can get cables that support the DTR
handshaking for the IW2.

Also note, if a program accesses the ports directly on the PC, ths
problem may or may not appear.

A good book to read about serial communications is "C Programmers Guide
to Serial Communications" by  Joe Campbell.  It deals directly with the
IBM PC and KAYPRO, but has a lot to say about serial communications and
should be read by those who question authority.

Sean kamath

PS I have no connection with anyone.
--
UUCP:  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs ihnp4}!tektronix!reed!kamath
CSNET: reed!kamath@Tektronix.CSNET  ||  BITNET:  reed!kamath@Berkeley.BITNET