[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Startup noise in Seagate ST225

dsd@hpsadla.UUCP (10/02/87)

/ hpsadla:comp.sys.ibm.pc / bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) /  7:01 pm  Sep 29, 1987 /
In article <3935@ecsvax.UUCP>, mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) writes:
>> ....    Anyone know
>> of an inexpensive source for bare ST225s,  one's drive dies but the
>If you want to get a drive _repaired_ or trade it in for a _refurbished_
>drive you can usually cut a better deal than by buying a whole new drive.
>For example, the last time we needed to get an ST225 fixed, Seagate would
>swap out our old drive for a refurbished drive for about $170 (possibly

     From a very un-reliable source ST-225s sell in quantity for <$150
(my brother seemed to think it was $135).  But don't start filling my
mbox, I know I can't get them for that.  The quantity is probably 100+.

     The best deal I've made was $200 at a computer show in S.F..  The
guy in front of me had just paid $215 for his.

     Good Luck.

bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) (10/05/87)

In article <2490012@hpsadla.HP>, dsd@hpsadla.HP (Donald St. Denis) writes:

>      From a very un-reliable source ST-225s sell in quantity for <$150
> (my brother seemed to think it was $135).

Most electronic hardware retails for something like 10x over manufacturing
costs (qty 1), the rest going for things like marketing and support.
Since Seagate drives retail for around $500 in qty 1, this means that their
manufacturing costs must be around $50.  Buyers in quantity naturally have
quite a bit of room to play in - I assumed from the context that the
question was about someone wanting to fix a _single_ or at most a _couple_
of drives.  And in that context $170 +/- is not a bad price - certainly
better than you can do from the typical mail order supplier.

						Bruce C. Wright