[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multi-Tasking wanted ?

jpp@slxsys.UUCP (John Pettitt) (10/02/87)

In article <1740@rti.UUCP> bcw@rti.UUCP (Bruce Wright) writes:
>In article <2440@drivax.UUCP>, braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:
>>  ...				More than just for print spooling, time
>> sharing is needed for *any* background task:  modem control, keyboard mapping
>> etc. ....
>These tasks are most often done by techies whose environment would be more
>accurately described as a workstation and hence would be a logical OS/2
>or Un*x target.  But the people who form the bulk of the PC marketplace don't
>do a lot of this - they have enough trouble with disks, files, and so
>forth.  We may not like it, but that's the way it is - these people are
>pretty confused already, and will not want to go to the added confusion of a
>complex, expensive and (to them) incomprehensible multitasking system.

1) I think the multi tasking issue is not just a techie one.
Borland seems to have sold far too many copies of Sidekick (and had
even more ripped off) for that to be the case.  All Sidekick does
is let you have a calc, wp, dialer and diary in a 'pop' up form.
The user may not want the background task to keep on running - but
they do want access to other tasks without the up to 5 min load times
associated with most dos applications.

Further examples of the demand for multi tasking can be seen
in the sucess of Desqview (Quaterdeck), Concurrent DOS (at least
in the UK - Digital Research) and Multilink (The Software Link).

2) Un*x is not just a workstation product - there are a large
number of user's out there running 'boring' applications like
accounts on 2 to 10 terminal Xenix boxes / NCR towers etc.
Just because that class of user is not normally on the net
don't forget that Un*x is not just an engineering / Educational
OS.

I agree that for multitasking to be usable by most users it
has to be simple - A fact that escapes most OS developers is
that while most applications are based on 80 by 24/25 screens
the ONLY useable window size is 80 by 24/25. (Mac is an exception)
Perhaps all that is needed is the ability to hot key from task
to task without waiting a disk load or having to check the copy
protection every time.

--
John Pettitt G6KCQ, CIX jpettitt, Voice +44 1 398 9422
UUCP:  ...uunet!mcvax!ukc!pyrltd!slxsys!jpp  (jpp@slxsys.co.uk)

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (10/05/87)

In article <212@slxsys.UUCP> jpp@slxsys.UUCP (John Pettitt) writes:
>The user may not want the background task to keep on running - but
>they do want access to other tasks without the up to 5 min load times
>associated with most dos applications.

John-
	I would be *very* interested to know what program (and the system(s)
upon which it it was run) that takes "up to 5 min" to load.  I just can't
believe there are any.  Perhaps it feels like that long, sometimes, but you
fail to indicate any exageration here!

Michael Kesti		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk