[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 720k format with MS-DOS ?

easdick@utgpu.UUCP (10/05/87)

Is it possible to format a 3.5", 720k disk with MS-DOS 3.2 ? My
friend just bought such a drive and all we can get is a maximum of
360k.

Please reply by e-mail <easdick@gpu.utcs.UUCP>
Thanks, Doug.

artw@pnet01.CTS.COM (Art Weiss) (10/06/87)

    You will need to make a CONFIG.SYS file on your boot disk (or hard drive),
or add a couple of lines to the one you already have. The lines you add will
look like this:
                   DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /D:2

    Actually, that line ought to do the job by itself. Make sure that you have
DRIVER.SYS on your DOS disk or in your hard disk's DOS directory.
    If you refer to the 3.5" drive as b: it will be a 360k disk, but if you
refer to it as c: it will be 720k. So to format as a 720k disk just FORMAT C:
    That should take care of things for you.

                                                           ...Art

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (10/07/87)

In article <1987Oct5.165618.20642@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, easdick@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Douglas Eastick) writes:

 > Is it possible to format a 3.5", 720k disk with MS-DOS 3.2 ? My
 > friend just bought such a drive and all we can get is a maximum of
 > 360k.

Look up DRIVERPARM (drive A: and B:) and DRIVER.SYS (external drives)
in your DOS 3.2 Manual.  You do have manuals don't you?  :-)
--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784