[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Was UNIX written by engineers?

acm@bu-cs.BU.EDU (ACM) (10/08/87)

In article <227@trwrc.UUCP> agnew@trwrc.UUCP (R.A. Agnew) writes:
>In article <13211@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bucsb.bu.edu (Jim "Jack" Frost) writes:

[previously it was said that C/UNIX was written by engineers for
engineers, and to prove this the author said to look at the C run time
library and check out the bessel functions and such.  This was my reply:]

>>What bessel and error functions in the C run time library?  Having a
>>pretty good notion of the history of C/UNIX, I think you're confused.
>
>I think you're confused. There's not a Bell systems programmer's manual out
>there without j0(), jn(), graph, and plot since before Version 7. Better
>check again!

Ok, you're right.  The functions exist.  On BSD systems, their in the
FORTRAN library.  On AT&T, they are in the MATH library.  Neither
system has them in the C library.  They, therefore, are NOT in the "C
run time library" in either case.

UNIX was designed by programmers for programmers.  It was not intended
for engineers.  I offer as proof this excerpt from  _The_UNIX_
_Programming_Environment_ by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike, pp.
vii-viii:

"The UNIX(tm) operating system started on a cast-off DEC PDP-7 at Bell
Laboratories in 1969.  Ken Thompson, with ideas and support from Rudd
Canaday, Doug McIlroy, Joe Ossanna, and Dennis Ritchie, wrote a small
general-purpose time-sharing system comfortable enough to attract
enthusiastic users and eventually enough credibility for the purchase
of a larger machine -- a PDP-11/20.  One of the early users was
Ritchie, who helped move the system to the PDP-11 in 1970.  Ritchie
also designed and wrote a compiler for the C programming language.  In
1973, Ritchie and Thompson rewrote the UNIX kernel in C, breaking from
the tradition that system software is written in assembly language.
With that rewrite, the system became essentially what it is today.

"Around 1974 it was licensed to universities 'for educational
purposes' and a few years later became available for general use. [...]"

[1.5 paragraphs deleted]

"What makes the UNIX sytem so successful?  We can discern several
reasons.  [...]  Finally, and most important, it is a *good* operating
system, especially for programmers. [...]

"...what makes it effective is an approach to programming, a
philosophy of using the computer. [...]"

[paragraph deleted]

"We are aming at individual programmers, in the hope that, by making
their work more productive, we can in turn make the work of groups
more productive.  Although our main target is programmers, the first
four or five chapters do not require programming experience to be
understood, so they should be helpful to other users as well."

----------

I trust you didn't miss the references to programmers.  There was not
even a mention of engineers in the entire preface.  I rest my case.

(For those of you who put up with this even though it isn't really PC
related, please forgive me.  It really belonged as a mail reply but
when I'm publically flamed I publically flame back.)

          Jim Frost * The Madd Hacker | UUCP: ..!harvard!bu-cs!bucsb!madd
  H H                                 | ARPA:           madd@bucsb.bu.edu
  H H                       | "We are strangers in a world we never made"