[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TEKKermit works on Hercules

npasmith@tuccvm.bitnet.UUCP (10/07/87)

>From: palmer@oodis01.ARPA (Jim Palmer)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
>Subject: Re: TEKkermit posted
>Date: 5 Oct 87 21:43:14 GMT

Try:

SET TERMINAL GRAPHICS ? --> CGA, EGA, Hercules, Olivetti.

As far as not being v. 2.29b, I think you might be right.
The important thing is that I tried it with hercules and
IT WORKS!
I tried it with SAS/GRAPH using VM/CMS over a 7171.  The graph
was almost perfect.  There was one spurious dot sent near the
start (it varied from run to run), and I had to manually return
to non-TEK mode  (ctrl right-bracket C, then C worked).

                            Phil Smith

zz1ml@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Mick Laver) (10/08/87)

In article <15NPASMITH@TUCCVM> NPASMITH@TUCCVM.BITNET (Philip A. Smith) writes:
>Try:
>
>SET TERMINAL GRAPHICS ? --> CGA, EGA, Hercules, Olivetti.
>
>As far as not being v. 2.29b, I think you might be right.
>The important thing is that I tried it with hercules and
>IT WORKS!

Also works on an AT&T 6300's 400x640 mode with
	SET TERM GRAPH OLIVETTI.

--
Mick Laver, C-010                 Internet:  laver@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
UCSD Academic Computing Center    UUCP:     ...!sdcsvax!sdcc3!zz1ml

palmer@oodis01.ARPA (Jim Palmer) (10/09/87)

I think I need to clarify my earlier comments:

MSTIBT.EXE _will run_ on an IBM or clone. What I was trying to say was; that
from my limited experience (an afternoon's use of it) _my opinion_ is that it
isn't a true TEK emulator, rather that it runs as a VT102 and jumps into
"TEK-mode" for graphics.  The documentation files are for the previous MS-DOS
version of KERMIT and I shouldn't have quoted the part about TEK-whatever only
applying to TI and Victor computers.  Here is a dump of the actual settings:

Kermit-MS>set terminal ? one of the following:
  terminal types of:  None, Heath-19, VT52, or VT102
  Newline-mode    Cursor-style        Character-set (US UK)
  Keyclick        Margin-bell         Screen-background
  Tabstops        Wrap (long lines)   Color (fore & background)
  Graphics
Kermit-MS>set terminal graphics ?
One of: CGA, EGA, Hercules, Olivetti

The first thing I noticed was that SET TERMINAL TEK40?? was not an option.
I used SET TERMINAL GRAPHICS EGA and connected as a TEK4015 to our UNIX
based Pyramid and tried to do graphics. It seemed identical to a VT102
terminal, but with 43 lines (as in EGA mode).  The program seemed to have
difficulty deciding where to begin a screen.  Now, either I failed to do
the trick with the escape codes to enter TEK-Mode, or the package really
isn't a true TEK emulator, or possibly the Pyramid was at fault (but since
some of it's terminals ARE Tek 41XX and 40XX terminals, I doubt it.)  I should
have also stated that I was running MSTIBT on a Zenith 248 AT _compatible_,
which isn't really an IBM _hardware clone_.  That may have been part of the
trouble I experienced.

What I _expected_ was what Kevin Lowey called terminal emulation:

>Hi,
>  The above four files are documentation and program files for MSTIBT,
>Kermit version 2.29 with Tektronics 40xx terminal emulation.
What I _got_ was VT102 emulation with a limited (as far as I could see after
using it for a day) ability to do 43 line EGA graphics.  This is NOT (in my
opinion ;-) a Tektronix 40XX emulator!  It does run.  It does a bangup job as
a VT102 emulator, and it does do _something_ with an EGA card.

I apologize if I confused anyone.

Jim Palmer - Manufacturers And Gov't Interconnected by Computers (It's MAGIC!)
There are two types of people:    /###\     ARPA: palmer@oodis01.arpa
 Good People and Bad People.     @ o o @    UUCP: seismo!lognet2!oodis01!palmer
  The former define the latter.   \ L /       or: ihnp4!styx!oodis01!palmer