[comp.sys.ibm.pc] how do i do a pc warm boot from sof

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (10/03/87)

   Try issuing interrupt 19H from an assembly routine. This is listed
as the ROM-BIOS service interrupt to reboot.
   As for a serial port, you'll have to write a program which accepts
commands over the serial port, and program it so that the computer
reboots itself when it receives a certain command or value over the port.

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (10/08/87)

In article <15000030@silver>, creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>    Try issuing interrupt 19H from an assembly routine. This is listed
> as the ROM-BIOS service interrupt to reboot.

I have a peice of software that does this, but it seems to hang on my
AT&T 6300 if any TSR programs are installed.

Greg

ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman ) (10/09/87)

In article <331@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>In article <15000030@silver>, creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
>>
>>    Try issuing interrupt 19H from an assembly routine. This is listed
>> as the ROM-BIOS service interrupt to reboot.
>

>I have a peice of software that does this, but it seems to hang on my
>AT&T 6300 if any TSR programs are installed.

INT 19 isn't reliable.  But the following IS on all clones I've tested
(including the AT&T's):

Write an assembly language routine that does a long jump to location

	F000:FFF0

It will reboot your system.

Lloyd Zusman

...!ames!fxgrp!ljz

creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (10/09/87)

> /* Written  9:36 am  Oct  8, 1987 by gp@picuxa in silver:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
> In article <15000030@silver>, creps@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:
> >
> >    Try issuing interrupt 19H from an assembly routine. This is listed
> > as the ROM-BIOS service interrupt to reboot.
>

> I have a peice of software that does this, but it seems to hang on my
> AT&T 6300 if any TSR programs are installed.

   I tried it too, and it didn't work on my clone. I also had TSR's installed.
It did try to boot, because it spun the drive like it does before booting.
There's more to it than just the int call I guess.

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (10/10/87)

This thread has gone on for so long that I can't help but wonder if my
posting of uuencoded "reboot.arc" got out.  Would someone confirm receipt of
this, please?  Thank-you.

Michael Kesti		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk