[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compiling bootstrapping ROMS for an IBM PC

decom@utcsri.UUCP (10/10/87)

I have a question from a friend in Indonesia whose Unix system receives
mail but not news. (They get the news on tapes occasionally).

He writes:
> I am looking for a 8088 C Compiler which can:
> 1.	Run under MS-DOS.
> 	I use an IBM-PC clone (Sperry - Mitsubishi)
> 2.	Produce ROM-able code
> 	I would like to save the output program in a ROM.
> 	The output program must start direct after the 8088 is up
> 	(not via DOS).
> 3.	Can be mixed with assemblers routine.
> 	The 'up' routine is in assembler. And there are some other
> 	routines that I write in assembler.
> 4.	All variables can be placed in the RAM.
> 	Include the static variables and the global variables.
> 	It's easy for the local variables because they are saved in the
> 	stack. But the others  should be in the RAM too because we
> 	can not place them in the ROM (with the program).
>
> I have got some informations about:
>
> 1.	High-C (MetaWare) Compiler
> 2.	Intel's Development tools: CC-86,MASM-86,LOC-86, and OH-86.
>
> What should I choose ? Or are there any other development tools ?

In summary, he wants a compiler that runs under DOS but generates
programs which do not require an operating system and will run on a just-
rebooted pc.  I gather from what he writes that he will replace the
ROM BIOS with his own ROMs, but that's just a guess.

According to his #3, it sounds to me like he needs a compiler which
generates bare-bones 8088 asm, with no system calls and with separate
code and data sections.   This along with any assembler should do the
trick.  Is there such a compiler ?

Please send responses and other advice in the mail
because I tend to get behind in this newsgroup.

My address is  decom@utcsri.uucp  or  decom@csri.toronto.edu
I will unify the responses and mail to him.  If you want to communicate
directly, he is  ...uunet!indogtw!indovax!ibrahim.

Thanks,

Jon.