[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT disk type

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (10/01/87)

Could someone in NETLAND please  tell me how to define a type 15 drive on an
early IBM AT?  I've got a Seagate 4051, currently configured as a type 11, but
that wastes about 4-5Mbytes.  If someone could supply code to write to table that would be even better.

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
email:whuts!2212msr
the ROM table that would be even better.

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (10/02/87)

In article <2955@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>Could someone in NETLAND please  tell me how to define a type 15 drive on an
>early IBM AT?  I've got a Seagate 4051, currently configured as a type 11, but
>that wastes about 4-5Mbytes.  If someone could supply code to write to table that would be even better.

Make life easy for yourself.  Get DUB-14 from Golden Bow Systems, in San
Diego, CA.  Supports at least 50 different drives beyondthe ones IBM defined.
It consists of two ROM chips that plug into your AT's mommaboard, in the
unused sockets.  There is also a software install disk that will set up the
CMOS config ram and optionally do a low-level format.

The implementation is so good that it fools even the IBM dealer diagnostics,
that also do low level formatting, etc.  I run my AT at 9+ MHZ with an Ariel
Speed Injector (another fine product), and the DUB-14 always boots up fine.

Just a satisfied customer, as they say ....

--
Philip Burton       burton@parcvax.xerox.COM   ...!hplabs!parcvax!burton
Xerox Corp.         preferred path: burton.osbunorth@xerox.COM

ayac071@ut-ngp.UUCP (10/02/87)

In article <2955@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>Could someone in NETLAND please  tell me how to define a type 15 drive on an
>early IBM AT?  I've got a Seagate 4051, currently configured as a type 11, but
>that wastes about 4-5Mbytes.  If someone could supply code to write to table that would be even better.

I agree.  I have no reference on the drive type or controller compatibility
and have found no source for same from any of my resources.  Could someone on
the net at least give some pointers toward documentation on the drive types
(and controller types) supported by the IBM HD BIOS?

Thanks.
     Bill Douglass
     ayac071@ngp.UUCP

bfag@ur-tut.UUCP (Meneldur) (10/04/87)

>In article <2955@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>>Could someone in NETLAND please  tell me how to define a type 15 drive on an
>>early IBM AT?  I've got a Seagate 4051, currently configured as a type 11, but
>>that wastes about 4-5Mbytes.  If someone could supply code to write to table that would be even better.

While I am not intimately familiar with the IBM AT, per se, I do run a Heath
H-248 AT clone with which I had a similar problem.  While the list of recognized
drives was long, it certainly didn't recognize the pair of QUANTUM 2020s I had
connected to the WD controller.  These are some old, big, 8-inch, 20M hard
drives with 512 cylinders and 4 heads that I picked up for $50 each from a
local surplus place.

Anyway, while this odd drive setup worked fine in my old Heath H-158 XT, the
AT disavowed any knowledge of them.  Finally, in my setup routine, I told the
AT I had NO hard drive at all.  I booted up with no disk in A: and behold!  I
began to hear the familiar chatter of the QUANTUM's heads as the system came
up.  It was definitely music to my ears!

One other point of interest: I discovered the drives were MUCH slower on the
AT than the XT.  I had to go back and perform a low level format on both
drives, raising their interleave factor from 3 to 4.  I've had no problems
ever since.

I do not know that this will be of any assistance to you in your problem, but
perhaps it may prove of some help to others.

Bill Faggart
Dept. of Geological Sciences
University of Rochester
Rochester, New York 14627

burton@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Philip M. Burton) (10/04/87)

>drives was long, it certainly didn't recognize the pair of QUANTUM 2020s I had
>connected to the WD controller.  These are some old, big, 8-inch, 20M hard
>drives with 512 cylinders and 4 heads that I picked up for $50 each from a
>local surplus place.
>
>Anyway, while this odd drive setup worked fine in my old Heath H-158 XT, the
>AT disavowed any knowledge of them.  Finally, in my setup routine, I told the
>
>drives, raising their interleave factor from 3 to 4.  I've had no problems
>ever since.

Unless I've forgotten everything I once knew about disk drives, I thought
that Quantum 8" drives used the Shugart SA 1000 interface, which was quite
different that the ST506/412 interface.  Even the transfer rate was
different, 4.34 Mb/sec for the 8" vs 5.0 Mb/sec for the 5 1/4".

How did you manage to get the Quantum's to work?  Did you use a stock
controller??  Did you have to set a jumper?  Or, did you have a special
version of the Quantums which had the ST506 interface?

By the way, please be sure to tell netland how you used an outboard box
with a power supply with +24 volts (and -5 or -12V ??).

Just a friendly caveat to poor, starving grad students.

--

hoff@hp-sdd.HP.COM (Tom Hoff) (10/06/87)

In article <2955@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>Could someone in NETLAND please  tell me how to define a type 15 drive on an
>early IBM AT?  I've got a Seagate 4051, currently configured as a type 11, but
>that wastes about 4-5Mbytes.  If someone could supply code to write to table

I am using a Seagate 4051, but I have it configured as a type 17.  The SETUP.COM
program that came with dos 3.1 for my Vectra PC recognizes type 17 and makes
the appropriate changes.  Sorry, I can't send it to you 'cause it's copywrited
but I'm sure someone on the net knows what you need to poke into memory to
configure for type 17.  I don't know if 17 is an industry standard type, but
the Vectra uses Phoenix bios roms.

--Tom

--
     Tom Hoff (...!hplabs!hp-sdd!hoff)
	"Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer not a spokesman!"

larry@tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) (10/09/87)

We received by mixup a copy of an Award Bios replacement for early AT's
from the Speedstore people.  Before senting it back I took a look and it
has 40+ different hard disks defined.  I believe it is being sold
specifically for those who have vintage AT's.  The price seems to be about
$60 from a discounter.

It might be worth looking into.

	Larry

bfag@ur-tut.UUCP (Meneldur) (10/11/87)

In article <554@parcvax.Xerox.COM> burton@parcvax.xerox.com.UUCP (Philip M. Burton) writes:
>>drives was long, it certainly didn't recognize the pair of QUANTUM 2020s I had
>>connected to the WD controller.  These are some old, big, 8-inch, 20M hard
>>drives with 512 cylinders and 4 heads that I picked up for $50 each from a
>>local surplus place.
>>
>>Anyway, while this odd drive setup worked fine in my old Heath H-158 XT, the
>>AT disavowed any knowledge of them.  Finally, in my setup routine, I told the
>>
>>drives, raising their interleave factor from 3 to 4.  I've had no problems
>>ever since.
>

>Unless I've forgotten everything I once knew about disk drives, I thought
>that Quantum 8" drives used the Shugart SA 1000 interface, which was quite
>different that the ST506/412 interface.  Even the transfer rate was
>different, 4.34 Mb/sec for the 8" vs 5.0 Mb/sec for the 5 1/4".
>
>How did you manage to get the Quantum's to work?  Did you use a stock
>controller??  Did you have to set a jumper?  Or, did you have a special
>version of the Quantums which had the ST506 interface?
>
>By the way, please be sure to tell netland how you used an outboard box
>with a power supply with +24 volts (and -5 or -12V ??).
>
>Just a friendly caveat to poor, starving grad students.

How did you know I was a poor, starving, grad student??  :-)

You are quite right about the QUANTUMs -- they are set up for the Shugart
interface.  A local fellow here who had the spec sheets discovered the drives
would work with a Western Digital controller that was fitted with the
auto-config ROM.  All that was required was making up your own cable to
adapt to the 50-pin connector required by the QUANTUMs.

As for the power, the same surplus place that had the drives also has some
very nice, heavy-duty, fan-cooled power supplies that appeared as though
expressly intended for the big 8" drives.  They have the same length and
width as the QUANTUMs but aren't quite as high.  The single power supply is
more than enough for the two drives I have.  All three are bolted together,
lying on their sides, together making up a really heavy package!  The power
supply, by the way, ran $25.  There was one voltage you failed to mention,
by the way -- the motors that turn the platters on these suckers take a
straight 120V AC!

Though big and bulky, I can't complain about my setup.  I've never had any
trouble with the QUANTUMs once they were up and running (admittedly, it took
a little time to get it all wired up).  And I certainly can't complain about
the price -- 50 bucks each is pretty darn cheap.  I recently saw an ad in
COMPUTER SHOPPER for used QUANTUM 2020s.  They were selling the suckers for
nearly $500!  Good grief!

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (10/11/87)

In article <950@hp-sdd.HP.COM> hoff@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tom Hoff) writes:
>In article <2955@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>>Could someone in NETLAND please  tell me how to define a type 15 drive on an
>>early IBM AT?  I've got a Seagate 4051, currently configured as a type 11, but
>>that wastes about 4-5Mbytes.  If someone could supply code to write to table
>
>I am using a Seagate 4051, but I have it configured as a type 17. The SETUP.COM

Problem: IBM's only have 15 drive types built into ROM. To get full disk space
out of the 4051, you need to:

1) upgrade your BIOS (I've used Award 3.01 -- support 47 or so hard drives
   in ROM!)

2) get a piece of software like Disk Manager (Ontrack Systems) or Speedstor
   (Storage Dimensions). Of the two, Disk Manager is superior, in my opinion.

By the way, I've never actually *put* non-IBM ROMS into an AT.
Does anyone know if this works? We sell clone AT's, and so I rarely, if
ever, see a real IBM AT.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
UUCP:         {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
OPUS/FIDONET: Sysop@(12/6) HTCS BBS (808)531-2659, 24 hrs., Honolulu