[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard Disk Help

wcz@pecnos.UUCP (10/05/87)

Has anyone successfully added a Seagate ST251 40 Meg. Hard Disk to a
AT&T 6300 PLUS?

The PLUS normally uses a CDC WREN II 40 Meg. drive but the Seagate is
substantially less expensive.

						Thanks,
						Tom

jons@islenet.UUCP (Jonathan Spangler) (10/11/87)

In article <478@pecnos.UUCP> wcz@pecnos.UUCP writes:
>Has anyone successfully added a Seagate ST251 40 Meg. Hard Disk to a
>AT&T 6300 PLUS?
>
>The PLUS normally uses a CDC WREN II 40 Meg. drive but the Seagate is
>substantially less expensive.

If you can do a low level format and specifiy non-standard parameters,
all you really need to know are number of heads and cylinders of the
respective drive. The ST251 has 6 heads and 820 cylinders. Precomp and
Reduced write cylinder are "none".

I remember trying to format an ST251 in a Sperry and had similar problems
until I used a hard disk utility called "Disk Manager" from Ontrack Systems.

Aloha,

Jonathan Spangler
UUCP:         {ihnp4,vortex,dual}!islenet!jons
OPUS/FIDONET: Sysop@(12/6) HTCS BBS (808)531-2659, 24 hrs., Honolulu