[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Dos Enviroment Space

npross@watmath.UUCP (10/09/87)

[.]

Could someone out there please tell me how I can find the REAL enviroment
space, not the copy I get when I start my program.  Is there a pointer to
it in dos? Is it always in the same place? What versions of dos are we talking
about (preferably 2.1 3.1 3.2 and 3.3)? Will free trade hurt Canada? (Sorry got
a little carried away with the questions :-).

                                advTHANKSance       -Norm

ljz@fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) (10/11/87)

In article <15156@watmath.waterloo.edu> npross@watmath.waterloo.edu (N.P.Ross) writes:

>Could someone out there please tell me how I can find the REAL enviroment
>space, not the copy I get when I start my program ...

Unfortunately, this cannot be done, as the location of a parent processes's
PSP (and therefore its environment) is not available to a child.  This also
applies to the "REAL" environment in the DOS command processor.  Every hack
I've seen to locate this environment is DOS-version-dependent.

I'm almost 100% positive about this, but I'd sure be happy to find out I'm
mistaken!

Lloyd Zusman
...!fxgrp!ames!ljz