[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Display Paint pictures from a program?

geoff@eagle_snax.UUCP ( R.H. coast near the top) (10/08/87)

Does anyone know of either (a) software to let me display a
picture created with one of the popular PC paint packages
from within my program (preferably in C or ASM source
form) or (b) a paint/draw package which includes such
software, or at the very least documents fully the file
formats it uses.

Thanks,
--
Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems       | "Picture a bright blue ball,
East Coast Division (home of PC-NFS) |  Spinning, spinning free;

gu.morris@SCIENCE (Richard D. Morris) (10/09/87)

The easiest way I know of to increase or decrease the environment size is
by patching COMMAND.COM.  Microsoft currently offers a utility to do this
which is included with their C compiler development system, and I also
would surmise other language development products.  The utility is called
SETENV.EXE.  It takes as parameters the command.com to be patched as well
as the new environment size in bytes.

The environment size is stored as a byte which is the number of paragraphs
to be allocated. I patched the PC-DOS 3.1 COMMAND.COM that I am using and
found that the byte that is changed is at offset "0xc11".  I would make
no assumptions as to whether or not this is the location with any other
version of DOS.

Hope this is of some help to you.

-------

schwalbe@encore.UUCP (10/12/87)

In article <12341120864.28.GU.MORRIS@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU> gu.morris@SCIENCE (Richard D. Morris) writes:
>The easiest way I know of to increase or decrease the environment size is
>by patching COMMAND.COM.  Microsoft currently offers a utility to do this

DOS 3.x allows for increasing the environment space by issuing the command:

shell = <path>\command.com /e:xxxx

in your config.sys file where <path> is where you keep command.com on your
hard disk and xxxx is the number of bytes you want to set the environment to.

: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. Mail: {linus,allegra,ihnp4} :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |       !encore!schwalbe      :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |                             :
: 257 Cedar Hill Street   |  `-------------+--' Phone: [617] 460-0500       :
: Marlborough, MA  01752  `----------------'                                :