[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Screen snap-shot for EGA request

ugogan@ecsvax.UUCP (Jim Gogan) (10/09/87)

Am passing along the following request for a colleague.  Please mail
any info to me and Ill forward it to the requester.  Thanks!

Does anyone know of a frame grabber (screen snap-shot)
that takes full advantage of the EGA 256K graphics?
Should do 512 squared frame with all 256 shades of each
color.  Any sources for further investigation will also be apreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Send info to:
Jim Gogan (ugogan@ecsvax)
     Jim Gogan                             mail:ugogan@ecsvax (UUCP/BITNET)
     Microcomputing Support Center
     Chapel Hill, NC  27514

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (10/12/87)

In article <4010@ecsvax.UUCP> ugogan@ecsvax.UUCP (Jim Gogan) writes:
>Does anyone know of a frame grabber (screen snap-shot)
>that takes full advantage of the EGA 256K graphics?
>Should do 512 squared frame with all 256 shades of each
>color.  Any sources for further investigation will also be apreciated.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it cant be done. If you are talking about a
frame grabber(video digitizer) that would simply use the EGA memory as a
buffer for images without trying to display them , it would sort of work,
except that the EGA memory is organized as 32Kbyte planes that overlay each
other in memory, and you must set a register to mask the one(s) that you
are reading/writing to.
If you mean that you would like the EGA to display a frame that is 512x512
with eight bits per pixel it is completely impossible. The EGA uses four bits
per pixel, which are translated as an offset into a sixteen element lookup
table. The lookup table is 6 bits wide - giving you the net effect of selecting
16 out of a possible 64 colors at any given time. The output from the lookup
table is physically sent to the monitor as 2 bits per color gun, so only four
shades of each color can be achieved. If you really need a better display try
the new VGA, or look for some EGA compatible products to be announced at
comdex.