[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Equation Solver

edward@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Edward L Haletky) (10/08/87)

Hello Fellow Netlanders,

        I would like to know if anyone  out  there  knows  of  an  Equation
solver that is in the public domain that will perform the following:

*Auto Sense if iteration is needed & perform iteration.
*Iterate to a given Tolerance.
*Take as input parameters to the eqn to  be  solved  Params  may  be  other
 equations  of the dependent variable or constants set by other parameters.
*Allow Eqns to be solved over ranges.  Output a table and possibly a graph.

        I was going to write such a beast, however if one exists I  do  not
see the need to write one.

 Edward L. Haletky
         ^
        / \
      /  ^  \         "To race against the sky...."
     |  / \  |
    ^| /o o\ |^       "The world of the immagination is boundless."
   | | |   | | |
   | |/|   |\| |       Disclaimer: None as yet. I can not disclaim
   |/  |   |  \|                   something I have not claimed.
   /   |   |   \
  /    | | |    \      E-Mail:
 / USA | | | ELH \             Usenet: ~|pur-ee!edward
/______-^|^-______\            local : edward@ga.ecn.purdue.edu
   |^|       |^|

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (10/09/87)

In article <267@ga.ecn.purdue.edu> edward@ga.ecn.purdue.edu (Edward L Haletky) writes:

>        I would like to know if anyone  out  there  knows  of  an  Equation
>solver that is in the public domain that will perform the following:
>
>*Auto Sense if iteration is needed & perform iteration.
>*Iterate to a given Tolerance.
>*Take as input parameters to the eqn to  be  solved  Params  may  be  other
> equations  of the dependent variable or constants set by other parameters.
>*Allow Eqns to be solved over ranges.  Output a table and possibly a graph.

The demo version of Tk!Solver, The Equation Solver does this.  FREETK is
a stripped version of the very powerful Tk!Solver+.  The program will
support upto 20 equations and 20 unkowns.  The only parts that are
missing are the function sheet an the graph sheet.  The function sheet
is used for making user defined functions.  I was planning to upload a copy
of FREETK to the Net, but I haven't gotten around to it.  If there is
enough interest, I will post a copy.  I might just post it anyways, but
it would look better if people want it.

Now the big question is with the death and rebirth of
comp.sys.ibm-pc.binaries, where do I post it to?

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

schwalbe@encore.UUCP (10/13/87)

Would love to get a copy of FREETK!  Please post or mail me.  I tried to
mail this message to you but couln't get through.  Thanks.

: Jim Schwalbe               .----------------. Mail: {linus,allegra,ihnp4} :
: Hardware Research Group .--+-------------.  |       !encore!schwalbe      :
: Encore Computer Corp.   |  | E N C O R E |  |                             :
: 257 Cedar Hill Street   |  `-------------+--' Phone: [617] 460-0500       :
: Marlborough, MA  01752  `----------------'                                :