[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Reply to Grant Prellwitz request for infomation on Quantus AT compatible

schmeichel@rws.dec.com (Bob, ML5-5/U52 pole 5c dtn 223-6245) (10/13/87)

Grant Prellwitz <sphinx!pre1> writes:

>I have seen an ad in PC World (Sept. 87, p. 60) advertising a Quantus Turbo AT.
>They quote a price of $1495, plus $25 shipping with a wait period of 2 weeks.
>It is a 10MHz AT with a 40MB 1/2 height Seagate hard drive (< 40ms access).  It
>comes with 1MB RAM, mono (Samsung) monitor, enhanced keyboard, Pheonix BIOS,
>and a Hercules compatible video card.  Power supply is 200W, 3 year waranty,
>1.2MB floppy.  It doesn't say anything aboiut serial or parrallel ports or DOS.
>All in all though it sounds good.  Perhaps too good to be true?  The company
>is Scientific Storage Technology at 238 Central ST., Hudson, NH, 03051.  Has
>anyone dealt with them before?  When I called, they said they had been in
>business for 3 years.  I'd really like to hear about them, both good and bad.
>The price is certainly hard to beat.
>Please email responses.
>		Grant Prellwitz

I have had the misfortune to deal with Scientific Storage Technology.  I
ordered the Quantus Turbo AT and was promised a 7-10 day delivery on it. The
period passed and I called asking where the system was---their supplier was
late with keyboards, they were expecting them in, and system would be shipped
next week.  That went on until the missing components weren't even part of my
order.  I canceled the order.  They had of course charged my credit card
immediately (the only thing they did quickly).

Alice Randolph, the sales manager, promised the refund would be taken care
of immediately.  It is four months later and I still haven't seen the refund.
Calls are answered and excuses made with a promise that it will be fixed
up and I will see the refund on the next statement.  Letters, even certified
with return receipt are ignored.

I recommend that you not deal with these people. Second hand, I have heard
of others who were dissatisfied with Scientific Storage Technology.

                           Bob Schmeichel

chan@encore.UUCP (Jerry Chan) (10/14/87)

In article <11833@decwrl.DEC.COM> schmeichel@rws.dec.com (Bob, ML5-5/U52 pole 5c dtn 223-6245) writes:
>It is four months later and I still haven't seen the refund.
>Calls are answered and excuses made with a promise that it will be fixed
>up and I will see the refund on the next statement.  Letters, even certified
>with return receipt are ignored.
>                           Bob Schmeichel

I had the misfortune of dealing with a computer mail order house several
years ago, in which I ordered some equipment via credit card contingent on
the company's ability to ship the product within a week.  To sum things up,
they did NOT meet my deadline after which I cancelled the order.  However,
they did (of course ;-) charge me for the item [note -- lots of details
excluded as an *attempt* to be succinct].

I attempted to deal with the company myself via lots of phone calls, etc.  It
was not until about five months later that I contacted my credit card company
*too late* -- there is a 120 DAY PERIOD BEFORE WHICH YOU MUST CONTACT YOUR
CREDIT CARD COMPANY, after which your credit card company DOES NOT HAVE THE
AUTHORITY TO DEMAND YOUR MONEY BACK (check with your credit card company for
the exact terms -- credit company dependent?)  In any case, all that I was
able to recover from this was a small percentage (via claiming a loss on my
tax return).

I mention it here on this newsgroup because I believe that many of the
persons who read this newsgroup should be aware of this time restriction,
being that computer wares are often purchased via plastic money.  Don't be
afraid to contact your credit card company should you have any problems --
that's what the 800 number on your bill is for.

Bob -- I don't mean to imply that you *hadn't* gotten in touch w/your card
company.  I do want to mention it to you in case you hadn't; four months is
about 120 days, so if you hadn't, better act soon.

   +----------------+  Jerry H. Chan                linus--+
+--+-------------+  |  Encore Computer Corp.       necntc--|
|  +-------------+--+  Marlboro MA 01752           decvax--|
+----------------+     (617) 460-0500             talcott--+