[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Nec v20 Performance in a PC

dsnow@watdcsu.UUCP (09/29/87)

Has Anyone with a V20 in their PC ever run Nortons SI? ( SYSINFO ).
Would someone post or mail me the response from this. Thanks.

Doug Snow, Arts Computing Office, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario.

           dsnow@watdcsu.waterloo.EDU   ...!watmath!watdcsu!dsnow
	   dougsnow@watdcs.NETNORTH
           doug@artspcs.watstar.waterloo.EDU

sampson@smu (09/30/87)

SI says 1.7, which is misleading.  The NEC chip *may* help speed
some, but it is difficult to notice.  It is CMOS so it uses less
power and runs 8080/8085 code if that is of any value.

                   ,.

                   /|\                    joel sampson
                 /  | \                 ----------------
               / fs |  \           Southern Methodist University
             /      |   \         Computer Science & Engineering
         ._/________|    \            Dallas, Texas  75275
        .___________|_____\__          convex!smu!sampson
        .|_________________/

jaym@nuchat.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (10/02/87)

In article <3894@watdcsu.waterloo.edu>, dsnow@watdcsu.UUCP writes:
> Has Anyone with a V20 in their PC ever run Nortons SI? ( SYSINFO ).
> Would someone post or mail me the response from this. Thanks.

I ran a V20 in my Compaq Plus since it first came out (the V20, not the
machine :-) until I sold it several months ago. The original machine posted
a 1.0 (not surprising). Addition of a V20 jumped that to 1.7 to 1.8.

However, that's a lousy benchmark. I noted only a 7-11 percent improvement
in real-world tasks (Turbo Pascal compiles from/to memory, AutoCAD
recalcs, etcetera). In short, it's a nice, cheap way to get a few percent
more out of your machine for about $10...but don't expect more than that.

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | temporarily at uunet!nuchat!jaym
Never ascribe to malice that which can | while splut is down (@#*(&$% ST4051!!)

pre1@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Grant Prellwitz) (10/12/87)

In article <89900002@smu> sampson@smu writes: [...]
>some, but it is difficult to notice.  It [NEC V-20] is CMOS so it uses less
>power and runs 8080/8085 code if that is of any value.
>                   ,.
>                   /|\                    joel sampson
>                 /  | \                 ----------------
>               / fs |  \           Southern Methodist University
>             /      |   \         Computer Science & Engineering
>         ._/________|    \            Dallas, Texas  75275
>        .___________|_____\__          convex!smu!sampson
>        .|_________________/

Is it true that the V-20 is CMOS?  I have one running in my Zenith Z-148, and
will have one in my soon to be acquired Kaypro PC-30, but I would love to be
able to put one in my fiancee's Z-171 laptop and not suffer acute degradation
of the battery life.  I know that the Kaypro 2000+ uses one, but I thought it
might be a special version.  I'd really appreciate one of the NEC
representatives out there confirming this (yes I trust you Joel, I just want
to be sure :-)

		Grant Prellwitz

--
=====================Grant Prellwitz==========================
!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pre1          pre1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (10/14/87)

Well, I've got good news and bad news.  The good news is that yes, the
v20 is CMOS.  I'm happily running one in my Z-181 with "no worries, mate"
(or, more importantly, "no dead batteries, mate".)

The bad news is that you probably won't be able to put it in the
Z-171.  I couldn't.  It appears that something isn't exactly kosher
with the timing in the Z-171; I know of several people other than
myself who tried, and only one got (mostly) reliable performance.  As
it only costs in the range of $15-20, you can go ahead and try, but
don't be depressed when the screen looks *funny*.  And don't put a
floppy in the drive that you really care about, until you are sure
that your machine's tolerances can accept the v20.
--
			Dave Ihnat
			ihnp4!homebru!ignatz || ihnp4!chinet!ignatz