[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for music composition/typesetting software

mjj@aplvax.UUCP (Marshall J. Jose) (09/15/87)

     I'm looking for an IBM program which allows preparation
of music scores.  It doesn't have to play the music back to me,
but it must be sophisticated enough to, for example, allow me to
prepare a Chopin etude with it and print it out.
     Please respond to the group or directly.
				Marshall Jose
				mjj@aplvax.jhuapl.edu
				...(not seismo)!mimsy!aplcen!aplvax!mjj

jku@kolvi.UUCP (Juha Kuusama) (10/15/87)

In article <748@aplvax.UUCP> mjj@aplvax.UUCP (Marshall J. Jose) writes:

>     I'm looking for an IBM program which allows preparation
>of music scores.  It doesn't have to play the music back to me,
>but it must be sophisticated enough to, for example, allow me to
>prepare a Chopin etude with it and print it out.
>     Please respond to the group or directly.
>				Marshall Jose
>				mjj@aplvax.jhuapl.edu
>				...(not seismo)!mimsy!aplcen!aplvax!mjj

I know three programs that can do that. Before I go further, a disclaimer:
The Copyist is a trademark of Dr. T's Music Software; Score is a trademark
of some company or person; Personal Composer probably is a trademark of
Jim Miller; the following info is based solely on sales literature from
various sources, I have not personally used any of the programs; no, I have
no relationship to any of the mentioned companies, nor to their competitors.

OK. The Copyist is a program written by Dr. T's Music Software and available
from
                 Voyetra Technologies
                 426 Mt. Pleasant Avenue
                 Mamaroneck, NY 10543, U.S.A
                 (914) 698-3377

The program seems to be to notes what a word processor is to words. Supports
HP Laserjet+, HP Inkjet, HP and Roland plotters and Epson dot-matrix
printers. Laserjet output quality is up to professional standards. Price
$169.

The Score is similar, but SEEMS (opinion based to literature, not to
experience) to be more "professional"; Supports phototypesetters (Postscript),
for example. The output example in the literature was more complex than
that of the Copyist, and indeed very convincing (a page of professional
quality orchestral score). If I was to choose a program for professional
music typesetting, this would be my choice (based to information I have
at the moment). The price is $795.00 and the program is available from

                Passport Desings, Inc.
                625 Miramontes Street
                Half Moon Bay, CA 94019, U.S.A.
                (415) 726-0280

The third program is Jim Miller's Personal Composer, which is a total music
system: a recorder, a synth sound librarian, programmable (with LISP) and
a music notation system. I can't really comment the output quality, since
I've only seen a few lines of dot-matrix output, wich by my opinion, can't
be up to professional quality. Anyway, the price is $495 and the program is
available from
                Jim Miller Personal Composer
                P.O. Box 648
                Honaunau, HI 96726, U.S.A.
                (808) 328-9518

Last a word of advice: before you buy, check the program's compatibility
with your computer, your graphics display and your printer. Check that
the program's capabilities are up to (and beyond) your needs and check
that the output quality is good enough for your (now and future!!) needs.
--
Juha Kuusama, jku@kolvi.UUCP ( ...!mcvax!tut!kolvi!jku )