[comp.sys.ibm.pc] graphics package needed

ross@isis.UUCP (Ross McConnell) (10/12/87)

 Can anyone recommend a graphics library? Specifically, I need a
package callable from MSC 4.0, which will work with CGA, EGA,
and Hercules cards. I need to be able to draw lines, circles, set
individual pixels, and write simple text (no fancy fonts needed).
I also need to be able to define windows or viewports. The main
requirement is that the package be able to sense the card it is
running on, and autoscale my drawing commands. Is there such a beast?

mroz@moose.steinmetz (peter a mroz) (10/13/87)

In article <1987@isis.UUCP> ross@isis.UUCP (Ross McConnell) writes:

> Can anyone recommend a graphics library? Specifically, I need a
>package callable from MSC 4.0, which will work with CGA, EGA,
>and Hercules cards. I need to be able to draw lines, circles, set
>individual pixels, and write simple text (no fancy fonts needed).
>I also need to be able to define windows or viewports. The main
>requirement is that the package be able to sense the card it is
>running on, and autoscale my drawing commands. Is there such a beast?

I've used the Graphics Development Toolkit (GSS*CGI) from Graphics
Software Systems with great success.  GSS*CGI provides a set of
primitives that draw pixels, bitmaps, lines, arcs, filled regions, and
text.  They also have polled functions and cursor interrogation
routines.  Bindings are supplied for Microsoft Fortran, Ryan McFarland
Fortran, MSC, Lattice C, and even Basic.  GSS*CGI operates using
device drivers loaded in at bootup time using CONFIG.SYS, so you don't
have to worry about what type of display you're using when you
actually run your package.  They have device drivers for just about
every type of display.  GSS*CGI costs $495, and here's their address:

	Graphics Software Systems
	9590 SW Gemini Drive
	PO Box 4900
	Beaverton, OR
	503-641-2200

Although I've never used either package, Halo Graphics and
Metagraphics make products with a similar functionality.  I don't have
Halo's address.

I've got a product description of the Metagraphics' MetaWINDOW
subroutine library.  It sounds like a pretty good package.  Here are
some highlights:

Features:

	o Dynamic hardware determination and runtime support
	o Full object drawing functions (points, lines, etc...)
	o Off-screen virtual bitmaps
	o Comprehensive set of over 200 graphic/windowing functions
	o 43 different types of display adapters are supported

Here's a portion of a quote from Jeff Duntemann, from Complete Turbo
Pascal:

"MetaWINDOW is written in hand optimized assembly code and is very
fast.  It is virtually bug free, and the manufacturer has been very
responsive to questions."  (This is their literature, not my opinion!)

I don't have a price.  Their address is:

	Metagraphics Software Corporation
	269 Mount Hermon Road
	PO 66779
	Scotts Valley, CA 95066
	408-438-1550

Hope this is of some use
Peter Mroz
General Electric			| ARPA: mroz@ge-crd.arpa
Corporate Research and Development	| UUCP: mroz@moose.steinmetz.ge.com
PO Box 8, 37-2081			| clever saying stuck in here
Schenectady, NY 12301			| 518-387-6021

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/15/87)

I have tried the GSS-GCI package and found that it executed (on an EGA)
from 3 to 200 (sic)(!!!!!!) times slower than my own routines. One program
went from 20 seconds (my code) to an hour!

Doug McDonald