[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Looking for a 386 Unix sytem to go....

bae@lll-tis.arpa (Hwa Jin Bae) (10/06/87)

I am looling for a UNIX system (either AT&T V.3 or 4.[2|3] BSD) that
runs on a '386' box or a PC-AT compatible computers.  I have been
hearing a lot about LOCUS, SCO-XENIX, Microport Xenix, Interactive
IN/ix, etc.  I would appreciate any information on the above
sysytems, or other systems by other companies, preferably with
contact information (phone #'s, addresses) to find out more
information and comparison list.

Also, do any of you UNIX system/IBM-PC wizards know about a '386' card
that can be plugged into an AT machine that runs UNIX?  Any comments,
suggestions about where to look for more information on these subjects
will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
--
------------------------------------------------+---------------------
Hwa Jin Bae                      (415) 463-6865 | Control Data Corp.

jmsully@uport.UUCP (John M. Sully) (10/16/87)

In article <21752@lll-tis.arpa>, bae@lll-tis.arpa (Hwa Jin Bae) writes:
> I am looling for a UNIX system (either AT&T V.3 or 4.[2|3] BSD) that
> runs on a '386' box or a PC-AT compatible computers.  I have been
> hearing a lot about LOCUS, SCO-XENIX, Microport Xenix, Interactive
                                                  ^^^^^
												  UNIX

> IN/ix, etc.  I would appreciate any information on the above
> sysytems, or other systems by other companies, preferably with
> contact information (phone #'s, addresses) to find out more
> information and comparison list.
>
> Also, do any of you UNIX system/IBM-PC wizards know about a '386' card
> that can be plugged into an AT machine that runs UNIX?  Any comments,
> suggestions about where to look for more information on these subjects
> will be deeply appreciated.

Locus is engineering the DOSMerge product being marketed by Microport and
(so I've heard) IBM.  You can get more information about this and
Microport UNIX by calling (800) 722-UNIX.  Both Microport and SCO are
shipping UNIX (Xenix) at this time.

As far as a board to plug into your AT which allows it to run 386 UNIX,
the Intel InBoard (?) is one of these, it is known to run Microport.
I have talked to some customers of ours who have tried out this configuration
though, and they have found that (surprise!) it runs SLOWER than the stock
AT into which the board was placed.  With the price of this board near
2K, I'm not so sure that it is worth the probable problems when a 386
based clone can be had for not much more (I've seen some advertised in
the Bay area for 2.2K or so).
--
John M. Sully         UUCP: ...!{sun | ucbvax | ihnp4}!amdcad!uport!techs
Microport Systems     ARPA: uport!techs@ucscc.UCSC.EDU