[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Setting the EGA border?

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (10/08/87)

I know that it's possible to change the border (the area at the edges of the
screen, outside of where any text appears) color on the EGA.  Does anyone
have a code sequence that does this?

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

em445@uiucuxf.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/87)

I thought you couldn't change the border color on EGA... If you get any
response on how to do it, please forward it to me, or post it on the net!
Thanks,

           Eduardo

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/13/87)

>/* Written  4:52 pm  Oct 12, 1987 by em445@uiucuxf.cso.uiuc.edu in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>I thought you couldn't change the border color on EGA... If you get any
>response on how to do it, please forward it to me, or post it on the net!
>Thanks,
>           Eduardo
>/* End of text from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

You can change the border color by using the BIOS call to change all the
palete registers at one time. However, the resulting border is so narrow
that it doesn't fill the screen. Also on my real IBM monitor it makes the
video drive circuits very unhappy, so that half of the screen changes shade.
An article in (probably) PC MAgazine claimed that you could reprogram the
video controller to get more overscan, and thus a real border, so long as
the resultant slower scan rate didn't melt your monitor (a la melted
monochrome monitors hooked to CGA cards!). Since I like black, I didn't
save it. Anyone remember exactly how this works?

Doug McDonald

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (10/14/87)

In the EGA utilities included in the programming section of PC Maga-
zine in August 16 and Sept 16, 1986, they say that generally the bor-
der in EGA screens can be changed; but then then they go on to talk
about a few kludges which can approach this question (I've never tried
it but it doesn't seem worth it).

--Mike Volow, Psychiatry, Durham Veterans Administration Medical Center
  Durham, NC, 27712             919 383 3568
  mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

jagardner@orchid.UUCP (10/16/87)

first set
	AH = 10 ;hex
	AL = 1  ;means "set overscan register"
	BH = nn ;colour value to set overscan register to
then do
	int 10H ;BIOS video interrupt

there's also a way in CGA compatible modes that looks like
	AH = 0bH
	BH = 0
	BL = nn
	int 10H
but I've never tried it

David Tanguay

nev@edison.GE.COM (Niles VanDenburg) (10/16/87)

In article <3632@b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> I know that it's possible to change the border (the area at the edges of the
> screen, outside of where any text appears) color on the EGA.  Does anyone
> have a code sequence that does this?
In theory there is a BBS at (212) 696-0360 for the PC Magazine's Interactive
Reader Service and in theory the programs that may set the EGA border
exist on this BBS but I have never been able to get on this BBS to confirm.
    In any case the software is fairly well documented (source etc) in
the article "Exploring The EGA, Part I" in PC Magizine's Aug 1986 issue
specifically on pages 378 through 384.  In summary it involves some simple
hacking on the EGA hardware registers and while I personally have not tried it
it looks fairly straight forward (but then again I'm a bit of a EGA hacker
also).
Niles