[comp.sys.ibm.pc] FANSI vs. NANSI

dab@whuts.UUCP (Batman) (10/13/87)

I've got a general question.

I have access to Fansiconsole and Nansi.sys as alternatives to
the relatively insufficient ansi.sys that comes with PCs.

Thru experiences, I've discovered that Fansi can really munge up
some stuff.  It throws my version of Windows and Paintbrush into
nonsense, Flight SIm and Jet won't work at all, and a bar code scanner
on another is confused by the new interrupts.

I haven't used Nansi much, but does anyone know how well it works?

The version of Nansi.sys I have is 2.2 (dated Feb 86).

Thanks in advance.
--
                 	Cogito Ergo Zoom
			Chaste makes waste

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/14/87)

In article <3004@whuts.UUCP>, dab@whuts.UUCP (Batman) writes:
> I've got a general question.
>
> Thru experiences, I've discovered that Fansi can really munge up
> some stuff.
>
> I haven't used Nansi much, but does anyone know how well it works?

I've used nansi.sys for over a year and have had no trouble with it at all,
except for a reversed test that caused a hangup only on Hercules graphics
cards (since fixed).  It is fast and very capable, so long as you use
the included utility code to set DOS to "raw" mode.  Using a write() from
C, it can paint a full screen on an 8088 mono display faster than you can
see it happen.

Also, it isn't shareware -- Dan Kegel, the author, contributed it to the
public domain.
--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

hollen@mana.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (10/15/87)

In article <9278@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
> [regarding FANSI]
>Also, it isn't shareware -- Dan Kegel, the author, contributed it to the
>public domain.
>--

Where can I get it if it is PD?  Can someone E-mail it to me?
Thanks in advance.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121
			    ames!scubed!
		{sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!megatek!hollen
			 sdcsvax!esosun!

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (10/16/87)

I finally gave up on FANSI CONSOLE and now use nansi.sys.  FANSI seemed
slightly faster, but it played around with too many things and caused
problems.  Nansi.sys works with backscrl and some keyboard utilities to
do what I want.

--Jon

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu