[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Mac <-> MS-DOS File Transfer

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (10/14/87)

I am looking for a way to move text files between a Mac-II and an
IBM-compatible system.  The IBM is equipped with a 3.5" diskette
drive (double-sided, 720-kbyte standard) accessible as B: under
MS-DOS.

Does anyone know of a software package to allow either of these
systems to read/write the other's diskette format?  If not, how
about other file transfer techniques: lans? modems? SCSI for the
IBM?

Thanks!
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (Kees Huyser) (10/15/87)

In article <210@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>I am looking for a way to move text files between a Mac-II and an
>IBM-compatible system.  The IBM is equipped with a 3.5" diskette
>drive (double-sided, 720-kbyte standard) accessible as B: under
>MS-DOS.
>
>Dave Levenson

I've been transferring files between an IBM-PC (my BBS) and my Macintosh
quit a lot, with no problems using the following hardware/software combination.

A null modem cable between COM1 on the PC and the modem port on the Mac.

	Macintosh		IBM-PC
	DB-9 male		DB-25 female
	--------- 		------------
	1 <-------------------> 7
	2 <-------------------> 15
	5 <-------------------> 2
	7 <-------------------> 17
	9 <-------------------> 3

Since the Mac II uses a din-8 plug instead of a DB-9, use the din-8 to DB-9
cable that Apple has for sale (part number M0187, cable assembly part number
590-0341-A (stamped on cable itself)

A homebrew din-8 to DB-9 cable looks as follows:

	DIN-8		DB-9
	-----		----
	1 <----------->	6
	2 <-----------> 7
	3 <----------->	5
	4 <----------->	3 jumpered to pin 1 in DB-9 connector
	5 <-----------> 9
	6 <----------->	4
	7   no wire
	8 <-----------> 8
			1 jumpered to pin 3 in DB-9 connector

On the PC side I use ProComm v.2.4.2, on the Mac side VersaTerm Pro 2.0.
The transfer is done at 19200 BPS, a quite reasonable speed.
The transfer method is Xmodem on the PC side, MacBinary Xmodem on the Mac side.
This way all Mac documents, programs etc. that you transfer will be the same
on both sides, i.e if you transfer a Mac program FROM the PC TO the Mac, it
will get its Icon and properties back.
If you want to transfer plain TEXT files, use Text Xmodem on the Mac side.

Hope this works for you too...

-- Kees

forags@violet.berkeley.edu (10/16/87)

Here are two ways to transfer files between Mac's and MS-DOS machines:

1.  MacLink Plus, which consists of an interconnect cable plus file-transfer
    programs for the Mac and MS-DOS.
       Available from: DataViz, Inc.
                       16 Winfield Street
                       Norwalk, CT 06855
                        (203) 866-4944
    I don't know price.  Several of our users have it and are quite satisfied.

2.  Use the TOPS LAN system (this is software for the Mac, plus a special board
    and program for the PC which allows it to work on an AppleTalk network; you
    also need the cabling for the network...). Cost - TOPS for the Mac about
    $150, and the board and program for the PC about $350.

          Available from Centram Systems West, Berkeley, Calif.
           (415) 644-8244
    TOPS for the PC also allows you to send PostScript files to an Apple
    LaserWriter if one is installed on the network.

Al Stangenberger, Dept. of Forestry, Univ. of Calif. Berkeley
forags@violet.berkeley.edu
uucp:  ucbvax!ucbviolet!forags

gk@kksys.UUCP (Greg Kemnitz) (10/16/87)

In article <210@westmark.UUCP> dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
>I am looking for a way to move text files between a Mac-II and an
>IBM-compatible system.  The IBM is equipped with a 3.5" diskette
>drive (double-sided, 720-kbyte standard) accessible as B: under
>MS-DOS.
>
>Does anyone know of a software package to allow either of these
>systems to read/write the other's diskette format?  If not, how
>about other file transfer techniques: lans? modems? SCSI for the
>IBM?

I am not aware of an approach to this problem using a standard 3.5
inch PC drive.  The recording formats are not the same.

We recommend the use of a MicroSolutions MatchMaker card in the PC,
with a standard Macintosh floppy drive plugged into it.  This allows
the PC to read/write MAC diskettes.  Utilities are included to
displaythe contents of the MAC diskette, view, copy, and delete files,
and format MAC diskettes.

Note: This works with standard Macintosh disks.  I have not yet had a
chance to play with a MAC-II, so I do not have a confirmation they
continued to use the same format on their disks.  Assuming they did,
it should work fine.

Although this is one of the products we sell, I don't have the pricing
handy.  If you need any more info, I'll be glad to send you a copy of
the brochure, or whatever....

--
Greg Kemnitz              |   amdahl \
K and K Systems           |   ihnp4   !meccts!kksys!gk

bobr@zeus.TEK.COM (Robert Reed) (10/16/87)

The latest issue of IEEE Micro magazine has a new product announcement for a
half-size card for the PC which allows you to plug in a Macintosh outboard
floppy disk drive.  It supposedly makes the Mac disk encoding transparent to
the PC, allows transfers in either direction, and supports hierarchy.  Cost
of the board is around $400.  I can't remember the name of the company, and
have no idea about effectiveness, reliability, etc., but it sounds exact
like what you want.  (Me too).
--
Robert Reed, Tektronix CAE Systems Division, bobr@zeus.TEK

dws@cseg.UUCP (David W. Summers) (10/17/87)

In article <210@westmark.UUCP>, dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) writes:
> I am looking for a way to move text files between a Mac-II and an
> IBM-compatible system.

Why not just try using Procomm on the IBM and RedRyder on the MAC?  That's
what I do and it works great!

                              - David Summers
                                ..!rutgers!pbox!romed!actsn!david
                                ..!rutgers!pbox!romed!actsn!cseg!dws