[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Environment Space on DOS 3.1 and higher

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (10/09/87)

The environment space on DOS 3.2 may be set in the CONFIG.SYS file
by specifying SHELL=COMMAND.COM/E:xxxx where xxxx represents the
bytes of environment space as a decimal integer in the range of
160 to 32768.  I'm taking this right out of the PC DOS 3.2
reference manual (page 4-34).

PC Magazine had a discussion of this a few months ago in their
PRODUCTIVITY section in the back.  The /e: option on the shell
command works for DOS 3.1, too, but it indicates a number of
blocks of environment space rather than the number of bytes.
I forget the block size, but I think it was on the order of
magnitude of 100 bytes/block.

garyq@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Gary Quakenbush) (10/14/87)

The COMMAND.COM option /E: in DOS 3.1 and earlier expects values in paragraphs,
which are 16 bytes each.  As said earlier, DOS 3.2 and later expect values in
bytes.  The defaults are:

	DOS 3.1 & earlier		DOS 3.2 & later
	/E:10				/E:160
	reserves 160 bytes		reserves 160 bytes

mrk@gvgspd.UUCP (Michael R. Kesti) (10/14/87)

In article <4330005@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:

+                                   The /e: option on the shell
+command works for DOS 3.1, too, but it indicates a number of
+blocks of environment space rather than the number of bytes.
+I forget the block size, but I think it was on the order of
+magnitude of 100 bytes/block.
              ^^^

Nope, its 16 bytes/block, also known as a paragraph.

Michael Kesti		Grass Valley Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 1114   	Grass Valley, CA  95945
UUCP:	...!tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk

dsnow@watdcsu.UUCP (10/15/87)

In article <4330005@hpindda.HP.COM> hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:

>PC Magazine had a discussion of this a few months ago in their
>PRODUCTIVITY section in the back.  The /e: option on the shell
>command works for DOS 3.1, too, but it indicates a number of
>blocks of environment space rather than the number of bytes.
>I forget the block size, but I think it was on the order of
>magnitude of 100 bytes/block.

              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is in Paragraphs, where a paragraph is 16 bytes!

Doug Snow, Arts Computing Office, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario.

           dsnow@watdcsu.waterloo.EDU   ...!watmath!watdcsu!dsnow
	   dougsnow@watdcs.NETNORTH
           doug@artspcs.watstar.waterloo.EDU

dave@westmark.UUCP (Dave Levenson) (10/18/87)

In article <4330005@hpindda.HP.COM>, hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) writes:
> The environment space on DOS 3.2 may be set in the CONFIG.SYS file
> by specifying SHELL=COMMAND.COM/E:xxxx where xxxx represents the
> bytes of environment space as a decimal integer in the range of
> 160 to 32768.

> ...works for DOS 3.1, too, but it indicates a number of
> blocks of environment space rather than the number of bytes.
> I forget the block size, but I think it was on the order of
> magnitude of 100 bytes/block.

In MS-DOS 3.1 the argument after the e: option specifies the number
of paragraphs (16 bytes each) of environment space.
This was never documented for MS-DOS 3.1, so there may be cases
where it can't be trusted.  However, I use it reliably on AT&T's
MS-DOS 3.1 for the 6300, and I also use it with a generic MS-DOS 3.1
on a IBM XT-clone.

I think the maximum environment size that can be specified for
MS-DOS 3.1 is 64 paragraphs, or about 1024 bytes.
--
Dave Levenson
Westmark, Inc.		A node for news.